The Student Room Group

Uni Rugby players - will I be welcome if I'm a non drinker?

I really want to play rugby at university. I don't drink for various reasons. Could you tell me about your uni rugby teams. Are they still friendly and welcoming to non-drinkers. Also does your uni have any initiations?
Original post by Cgreen196
I really want to play rugby at university. I don't drink for various reasons. Could you tell me about your uni rugby teams. Are they still friendly and welcoming to non-drinkers. Also does your uni have any initiations?

Hi there!

I am a second year student rep at York St John University. Although I am not a member of the rugby team, I do know that the team go on socials on a Wednesday night. If you do not wish to go on these, it is not compulsory and I do not believe you would be frowned upon because I know plenty of people who choose not to drink for personal reasons. If you still wished to go on socials, I am sure that the players would be very pleased to have you there and would encourage you to go while supporting your choices. With regards to initiations, I believe that you have the option to join in either the team which requires you to try-out, or you can play in the general team, with both having competition options.

Good luck with your university experience! Remember that good friends/people will not pressure you to do things you do not feel comfortable doing. I hope you manage to find a team which suits you to play rugby.

Rachel- YSJ student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending