The Student Room Group

A-level options Help

Hi
So I'm stuck between picking A level phycology and alevel maths.Both the exam boards are AQA and I'm doing furthur maths as a GCSE and have enjoyed it however I haven't enjoyed GCSE maths because of the worder problems.Morover I usually end up getting a B in normal maths and I do Higher.I also heard that A level phycology is primarly content heavy .I want to go on to study Medicine.Please Help me decide.
Original post by ihaveno name
Hi
So I'm stuck between picking A level phycology and alevel maths.Both the exam boards are AQA and I'm doing furthur maths as a GCSE and have enjoyed it however I haven't enjoyed GCSE maths because of the worder problems.Morover I usually end up getting a B in normal maths and I do Higher.I also heard that A level phycology is primarly content heavy .I want to go on to study Medicine.Please Help me decide.

Hey,

Whichever one you choose, be sure that it's the one you enjoy. While I haven't studied Psychology, I would imagine that it is very content heavy and involves a lot of written work. I have studied Maths, however, and overall I don't think the wordy questions should put you off. There are certainly wordier questions, but most of these are broken down into smaller segments and are usually systematic meaning that with practice, they're really not too bad.

Surely Psychology would also contain wordy questions, if not more.

Maybe look at some of the past A-level papers if you haven't already, or scan over the course content. Just as a side note, are you considering taking Biology or Chemistry too, as these are considered (mostly chemistry) mandatory for Medicine?
Reply 2
With Maths there is a right or wrong answer and you can quickly learn the method
There is no set structure to answers for psych
I would pick maths if you know you will be getting the help and support if you will need it
If you plannign on staying on at your high schools sixth form maybe have a conversation with the teachers?
Hi

Biology and chemistry will give you the most options when it comes to applying for medicine. Your third can be anything so pick a subject you will enjoy and do well in. If you're not going to get an 8 or 9 in GCSE maths, then I would be cautious about choosing maths. All A levels have a lot of content so don't let that put you off psychology.
Reply 4
what normaw said is true i do bio chem history
Reply 5
Hi

Heya!

For medicine you would usually need bio, chem and 3rd optional subject, so psychology should be fine. If you don't enjoy maths then stick to something you do enjoy. If it helps, check out this medical comparison tool to find out the entry requirements for different medical schools! :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest