The Student Room Group

University of Warwick medicine 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mahdikhan786
Hi All,

I'm wondering whether my work exp meets their requirements. I've worked as a care-coordinator at a GP practice for the past year throughout the final year of my Biomed degree. This is basically admin, referrals, reception etc. I've also got 20 hours of shadowing various clinicians such as GPs, ANPs, HCAs, clinical pharmacist etc here. I've worked in a pharmacy on the tills dealing with patients and prescriptions and stocking etc. Only issue is the hand-on requirement.

Do you think I have enough to meet their requirements?

Hi,

I've also done GP shadowing (approx. 20 hrs) and have worked in an independent pharmacy for 12 months (mainly giving advice to patients and dispensary duties)...not sure if this is sufficient in terms of 'hands-on care'?? What would you say as you've also mentioned having worked in a pharmacy.
Original post by Melliexx
They first look at people's VR scores, anyone with less than the average is rejected and then they score applicants based on their UCAT scores (total), the first 450 get an interview invite, the rest are rejected. All the info is on their website.

where does it say only the first 450 are interviewed?
Hey does anyone know what details we should put down in the work experience survey for the BSMS online work experience programme? For example, I'm not too sure what to put down for the registration body and number. Thanks x
Original post by lucie_p_733
Hi,

I've also done GP shadowing (approx. 20 hrs) and have worked in an independent pharmacy for 12 months (mainly giving advice to patients and dispensary duties)...not sure if this is sufficient in terms of 'hands-on care'?? What would you say as you've also mentioned having worked in a pharmacy.

Hi hope you’re well!

Honestly I don’t think working at a pharmacy would allow us to tick the expected outcome for hands on care. They’re looking for roles such as HCA, care home worker etc where you are directly involved in patient care.

I’m not confident at all that they’ll accept it but we’ll have to see. Praying so hard right now 🙏 🙏 🙏
Hi where do we find registration numbers of hospitals? Honestly I didn't know what to put there so I just wrote "I do not know the registration number of the hospital"? Could they reject the work experience because of this?
Hi hope you’re well!

Honestly I don’t think working at a pharmacy would allow us to tick the expected outcome for hands on care. They’re looking for roles such as HCA, care home worker etc where you are directly involved in patient care.

I’m not confident at all that they’ll accept it but we’ll have to see. Praying so hard right now 🙏 🙏 🙏

Hi,

Yh I agree...I've met all the other outcomes but it's the hands-on bit that's the problem. I can get some more experience in a hospital with hands-on care before the MMI but probably not before the deadline in just over a week! I'm worried it's sort of 'lying' by ticking hands-on care for the pharmacy experience but then also worried they'll reject me if I don't tick it at some point in my work experiences. Not sure what to do!!
Hi,

Yh I agree...I've met all the other outcomes but it's the hands-on bit that's the problem. I can get some more experience in a hospital with hands-on care before the MMI but probably not before the deadline in just over a week! I'm worried it's sort of 'lying' by ticking hands-on care for the pharmacy experience but then also worried they'll reject me if I don't tick it at some point in my work experiences. Not sure what to do!!

Hi. Yes it’s very difficult to get around this. Also from what I’ve read on the website, they only accept work experience from between Oct 15 2020-Oct 15 2023 so if you get any experience now they won’t accept it unfortunately.

I’d say if you have had some experience with dispensing and advising patients just tick it and try to explain it better at MMI.
Hi. Yes it’s very difficult to get around this. Also from what I’ve read on the website, they only accept work experience from between Oct 15 2020-Oct 15 2023 so if you get any experience now they won’t accept it unfortunately.

I’d say if you have had some experience with dispensing and advising patients just tick it and try to explain it better at MMI.

Oh I didn't even see that! 🙈 will have to do my best at interview then!
Anyway thanks so much for your advice and best of luck with the rest of your application! :smile:
Oh I didn't even see that! 🙈 will have to do my best at interview then!
Anyway thanks so much for your advice and best of luck with the rest of your application! :smile:

You too! I wish you the best of luck.

Who knows? We may meet again in a year’s time 😊
Reply 29
Original post by brasamical
where does it say only the first 450 are interviewed?

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/med/study/ugr/applying/applicationprocess

''If shortlisted, receive an invitation to attend our selection centre
In our first round of selection scores academic achievement and UCAT total score. Work experience will be quantified and assessed via your online submission.
In early December, applicants successful in being shortlisted will be invited to attend our Selection Centre. You will be invited to choose one session eyou would like to attend (allocated on a first come, first served basis). Please note - we cannot accommodate alternative dates from those published.

We will select approximately 450 candidates to attend our selection centre each year.''

They basically look at your UCAT and academics, a first class degree/masters/PHD compensates for a lower UCAT (within the cutoff), and a higher UCAT compensates for a 2:1. This is what I was told at the open day.
They basically look at your UCAT and academics, a first class degree/masters/PHD compensates for a lower UCAT (within the cutoff), and a higher UCAT compensates for a 2:1. This is what I was told at the open day.

Oh, interesting - thanks for this info. So my BSc First Class Honours should max out whatever the potential of my UCAT score is.

They kind of imply they will filter some people based on that. Then, "Work experience will be quantified and assessed via your online submission."

I am not sure about how they go about this? I thought it was only a matter of meeting the outcomes and having 70h or above. Does that mean more is better?
Hi all
Has anyone else not received the work experience questionnaire? I have just checked the website and seen that submissions need to be completed by today. - but I haven’t received the questionnaire link
Reply 32
Original post by TheKeytoSucess
Hi all
Has anyone else not received the work experience questionnaire? I have just checked the website and seen that submissions need to be completed by today. - but I haven’t received the questionnaire link

Hi, You should have received an email from [email protected]’, the link to complete the questionnaire is in this email.

The email should be titled ‘University of Warwick application acknowledgement’
Original post by justcamehere53
Oh, interesting - thanks for this info. So my BSc First Class Honours should max out whatever the potential of my UCAT score is.

They kind of imply they will filter some people based on that. Then, "Work experience will be quantified and assessed via your online submission."

I am not sure about how they go about this? I thought it was only a matter of meeting the outcomes and having 70h or above. Does that mean more is better?

More isn't necessarily better, although it increases your chances of hitting the entry requirements, which is a tough barrier to pass. I'm pretty sure they just filter by UCAT and the rest is just boxes that must be ticked in order to be offered an interview, ie at least a 2.1 degree or higher (or hold a PhD / masters if you have a 2.2) and meeting the entry requirements for work experience, and an above average VR score. Therefore more than the minimum isn't better for getting to the interview stage. You either meet the requirement or you don't.

Having good quality work experience is perhaps more important than quantity when it comes to the interview stage, but if you only have the minimum hours required as work experience it can make it more challenging to reflect on and discuss. Plenty of people do get through with the minimum requirement of work experience, so if you get to the interview stage just make sure you read all the information they send you so you know what they are looking for.
Reply 34

No, they don't score people's work experience.Once you meet the minimum work experience requirement (70 hours) they tick that off. By ''your work experience will be assessed'' they mean they'll find out if its hands on/shadowing/ and 70 hours or more but they will not mark you on that.

With a first class degree and a 8th/9th decile UCAT you should be fine. Even with less, I talked to a first year medic at Warwick and she told me she had a 650 average UCAT and a first class degree and she got in.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 35
Original post by KMaisey
More isn't necessarily better, although it increases your chances of hitting the entry requirements, which is a tough barrier to pass. I'm pretty sure they just filter by UCAT and the rest is just boxes that must be ticked in order to be offered an interview, ie at least a 2.1 degree or higher (or hold a PhD / masters if you have a 2.2) and meeting the entry requirements for work experience, and an above average VR score. Therefore more than the minimum isn't better for getting to the interview stage. You either meet the requirement or you don't.

Having good quality work experience is perhaps more important than quantity when it comes to the interview stage, but if you only have the minimum hours required as work experience it can make it more challenging to reflect on and discuss. Plenty of people do get through with the minimum requirement of work experience, so if you get to the interview stage just make sure you read all the information they send you so you know what they are looking for.

Totally agree about the work experience, it's about quality and not quantity (as long as you have 70 hours).

However, they do rank people for interview based on their academic achievements and UCAT and you get points based on your achievements (you can find all the info in their admissions page), so a 1st class will rank you higher than a 2:1 and if you have masters/PHD you'll be ranked even higher. E.g. If you've got a really high ucat that will make up for a 2:1, if you've got a 1st class degree you might be okay with a 650 average UCAT.

Hope this helps!
(edited 5 months ago)
Totally agree about the work experience, it's about quality and not quantity (as long as you have 70 hours).

However, they do rank people for interview based on their academic achievements and UCAT and you get points based on your achievements (you can find all the info in their admissions page), so a 1st class will rank you higher than a 2:1 and if you have masters/PHD you'll be ranked even higher. E.g. If you've got a really high ucat that will make up for a 2:1, if you've got a 1st class degree you might be okay with a 650 average UCAT.

Hope this helps!

Thanks very useful! And it maken sense for them to rank on ucat and academics - a lot mor objective.

In terms of UCAT, I think lowest and average purely depend on the applicant pool, as long as everyone meets average VR.

Wonder how much a first clas in contrast to second class helps in terms of ucat - e.g. 2nd class and say 2850 is equivalent in terms of points to first class with what ucat? 100-200 points?
Reply 37
Thanks very useful! And it maken sense for them to rank on ucat and academics - a lot mor objective.

In terms of UCAT, I think lowest and average purely depend on the applicant pool, as long as everyone meets average VR.

Wonder how much a first clas in contrast to second class helps in terms of ucat - e.g. 2nd class and say 2850 is equivalent in terms of points to first class with what ucat? 100-200 points?

Yes, it basically depends on the UCAT score of the people applying and the amount of applicants, last year they had +1300 (means a lower cutoff) but in previous years they've had 2000 or so.
I couldn't really say how the academics weighting works, as they didnt say in the open day/ can't be found in their page either.

Hope this helps!

TBH I actually didn't even realise they looked at the degree class during the pre-interview stage, for some reason I thought it was post-interview. I wonder how they weight it against UCAT. Are you particularly worried about your UCAT score?
(edited 5 months ago)
Btw I am a first year GEM student at Warwick who has reached the point in the day where I am procrastinating, if anyone has any questions about anything relating to Warwick medical school then I am happy to try and answer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending