The Student Room Group

University of Warwick medicine 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by KMaisey
TBH I actually didn't even realise they looked at the degree class during the pre-interview stage, for some reason I thought it was post-interview. I wonder how they weight it against UCAT. Are you particularly worried about your UCAT score?

I am worried, my UCAT is quite borderline (655 av, and 670 VR) and I have got a 2:1 (67%) so It's unlikely they'll interview me but fingers crossed.

How did you find your interview (I know you're not meant to give out specific details but just in general) was it easier or harder than what you expected ? Also did you have a 2:1 or a 1st?

Thanks a lot!
Original post by KMaisey
Btw I am a first year GEM student at Warwick who has reached the point in the day where I am procrastinating, if anyone has any questions about anything relating to Warwick medical school then I am happy to try and answer :smile:

Hello!
What are your top 3 tips for interview!?
Original post by Melliexx
I am worried, my UCAT is quite borderline (655 av, and 670 VR) and I have got a 2:1 (67%) so It's unlikely they'll interview me but fingers crossed.

How did you find your interview (I know you're not meant to give out specific details but just in general) was it easier or harder than what you expected ? Also did you have a 2:1 or a 1st?

Thanks a lot!

I had a 2.1, scored 2810 in my UCAT, I can't remember my VR, I think it was around 670. An average of 655 is still possible, so fingers crossed.

The interview somehow felt both harder and easier than I was expecting. The stations weren't actually challenging, but the MMI format made it difficult. There isn't the luxury of time to pause and think a lot. If I remember correctly Warwick actually send out guidance on what they were looking for before the interview which was useful for prep. And in the interview try not to think of it as an assessment or think of the timings, just think of it as having a conversation with people around a focused topic. At WMS we are exposed to patients and pretend patients very early on, so being able to step outside of your comfort zone straight away is essential, so just think of the MMI as practice for that. :smile:
Original post by lucie_p_733
Hello!
What are your top 3 tips for interview!?

1. Don't think of it as an interview, think of it as practice. From week 1 we start interacting with pretend patients and each other to do clinical skills, palpations, history taking etc. We have our teachers (senior doctors) watching us do these things. It is very much a jump out of most people's comfort zone. So instead of thinking of it as a stressful barrier to medical school, just see it as a way to experience having to have conversations and think on your feet under time pressure whilst you probably don't feel super comfortable. Because you will be doing that when you get here :smile:

2. I think last year Warwick sent out guidance on what they are looking for prior to the interview, or they might have their values on the website. Look at all of the information the school provides, use it to guide your personal reflection.

3. Relax, don't have overly rehearsed answers, don't worry about trying to sound intelligent, just be yourself.
Reply 44
Original post by KMaisey
I had a 2.1, scored 2810 in my UCAT, I can't remember my VR, I think it was around 670. An average of 655 is still possible, so fingers crossed.

The interview somehow felt both harder and easier than I was expecting. The stations weren't actually challenging, but the MMI format made it difficult. There isn't the luxury of time to pause and think a lot. If I remember correctly Warwick actually send out guidance on what they were looking for before the interview which was useful for prep. And in the interview try not to think of it as an assessment or think of the timings, just think of it as having a conversation with people around a focused topic. At WMS we are exposed to patients and pretend patients very early on, so being able to step outside of your comfort zone straight away is essential, so just think of the MMI as practice for that. :smile:

This is really useful, thank you so much 😊
Original post by KMaisey
Btw I am a first year GEM student at Warwick who has reached the point in the day where I am procrastinating, if anyone has any questions about anything relating to Warwick medical school then I am happy to try and answer :smile:

I would have a question from the logistics side. As a mature/independent student, if we have been employed in the years before study (P60 etc), and suddenly earn £0 due to study, will student maintenance loan be sufficient or would you be able to work aside part-time to make ends meets? Like, does your previous employment penalise you somehow (if they wrongly assume that previous income is an indicator of current income, like for undergrad's parents: they technically keep same income, don't get it sinked to £0 and don't have to resign to study)
Original post by brasamical
I would have a question from the logistics side. As a mature/independent student, if we have been employed in the years before study (P60 etc), and suddenly earn £0 due to study, will student maintenance loan be sufficient or would you be able to work aside part-time to make ends meets? Like, does your previous employment penalise you somehow (if they wrongly assume that previous income is an indicator of current income, like for undergrad's parents: they technically keep same income, don't get it sinked to £0 and don't have to resign to study)

Hi,

Good questions. I automatically got the full maintenance loans, but I don't know if that was because I was only employed for half the year prior to applying and on a lowly band 2 salary, or if all mature students tend to get that loan. If you do get the full amount, i think it works out to be around £1k per month which isn't amazing. It is definitely tight.

I personally wouldn't recommend working in the first year. A couple of people are doing it, but for a lot of people it would be too much. I can't even imagine doing a job on top of this workload. If you need to work, getting a casual, 0 hour / bank work might be the best option.

The amount of loan reduces each year, so I will work on some weekends in years 2-4. But trying to avoid it this year.
(edited 5 months ago)

Warwick do also provide an automatic grant for people under a specific income, I actually didn't realise that was a thing so didn't look it up, I just had an email to say I was getting extra money. Not sure if they consider previous work income or assume students will have minimal income. There is also an additional grant that WMS offers which you cab apply for before starting. And there is a hardship fund if finances get desperate.
Original post by KMaisey
Hi,

Good questions. I automatically got the full maintenance loans, but I don't know if that was because I was only employed for half the year prior to applying and on a lowly band 2 salary, or if all mature students tend to get that loan. If you do get the full amount, i think it works out to be around £1k per month which isn't amazing. It is definitely tight.

I personally wouldn't recommend working in the first year. A couple of people are doing it, but for a lot of people it would be too much. I can't even imagine doing a job on top of this workload. If you need to work, getting a casual, 0 hour / bank work might be the best option.

The amount of loan reduces each year, so I will work on some weekends in years 2-4. But trying to avoid it this year.

Thank you for this useful insight! :smile:
Original post by justcamehere53
Thanks very useful! And it maken sense for them to rank on ucat and academics - a lot mor objective.

In terms of UCAT, I think lowest and average purely depend on the applicant pool, as long as everyone meets average VR.

Wonder how much a first clas in contrast to second class helps in terms of ucat - e.g. 2nd class and say 2850 is equivalent in terms of points to first class with what ucat? 100-200 points?

last year the "official" UCAT cutoff for VR was 570, but in reality they accepted some candidates down to 560 VR score, as I learned from a FoI following my pre-interview rejection.
last year the "official" UCAT cutoff for VR was 570, but in reality they accepted some candidates down to 560 VR score, as I learned from a FoI following my pre-interview rejection.

That sounds promising. What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?
Original post by mahdikhan786
That sounds promising. What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?

I got a dismal UCAT score last year hence an outright rejection.
I got a dismal UCAT score last year hence an outright rejection.

I’ve got a 2:1 with 2720 B2. 690 in VR.

Do you think my chances are good?
Reply 53

This might be one of the contextual offers. I read somewhere you would get a 20 point reduction out of the VR cutoff and and an overall uplift of 60 points if you’re a care leaver or asylum seeker.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 54

Your VR is good, but it’s impossible to tell.
It depends on the pool of applicants really. Also we don’t really know how they score academics (points you get given for having a 1st/2:1). Last year cutoff was 2580 so you might be okay.

Good luck!

690 is an amazing VR score!!
(edited 5 months ago)

I would say your stats sound good for Warwick, i havent looked up UCAT stats this year so if your VR is above average then there is a good chance. But of course you also have to meet the work experience requirements.
Original post by Melliexx
This might be one of the contextual offers. I read somewhere you would get a 20 point reduction out of the VR cutoff and and an overall uplift of 60 points if you’re a care leaver or asylum seeker.

That must be it:

"Contextualisation of UCAT scores

Applicants who are a recent care-leaver or refugee/asylum seeker into the UK will be eligible for a reduction of 20 points in the minimum Verbal Reasoning (VR) cut-off score and an uplift of 60 points for their total score."

I like how the official UCAT Percentile score mean VR is 591 but Warwick puts 590:

"UCAT Cut Off 2024 Entry

For entry to WMS, you need to achieve at least the overall mean score on the Verbal Reasoning sub-test across ALL test-takers. The verbal reasoning (VR) cut-off for 2024 entry is 590. Any applicant with a VR score below 590 will automatically be rejected."

I don't know if they rounded to the nearest 0 or they just don't want someone to lose their minds for having within 1 of the cut off.

I am with similar scores but First Class Honours.

Exact VR is not relevant, only that you are above the mean. From then on, if you meet work experience requirements, it is all about how you rank against others in terms of points. This not only depends on what is the UCAT of others but also how many have First Class Honours vs 2nd Class Honours etc.

On the plus side, they claim on their website that invitees will be able to book their December interview slot from first week of December, which means all of us will know in a month essentially.
Original post by KMaisey
I would say your stats sound good for Warwick, i havent looked up UCAT stats this year so if your VR is above average then there is a good chance. But of course you also have to meet the work experience requirements.

Work experience is probably the main difficulty for me. I've done 20hrs shadowing, worked in an admin/secretarial role in a GP for the past year, and worked as a pharmacy assistant. Hours are fine. It's the hands-on requirement is driving me crazy lol. I've ticked the box regarding that expected outcome as I have dispensed medication and directed patients to relevant meds/treatments but I'll have to spin it like crazy If I get invited to interview.

690 is an amazing VR score!!

Thank you so much!!!
Work experience is probably the main difficulty for me. I've done 20hrs shadowing, worked in an admin/secretarial role in a GP for the past year, and worked as a pharmacy assistant. Hours are fine. It's the hands-on requirement is driving me crazy lol. I've ticked the box regarding that expected outcome as I have dispensed medication and directed patients to relevant meds/treatments but I'll have to spin it like crazy If I get invited to interview.

Thank you so much!!!

To be fair, Warwick's work experience requirements are by far the most brutal I've seen. Most other Universities are not as picky, but at the same time, they require stellar UCATs, or insane 5-hours long Gamsat entrance exam, or look at your A-levels...There is no perfect Uni to apply really...
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending