The Student Room Group

University of Warwick medicine 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brasamical
To be fair, Warwick's work experience requirements are by far the most brutal I've seen. Most other Universities are not as picky, but at the same time, they require stellar UCATs, or insane 5-hours long Gamsat entrance exam, or look at your A-levels...There is no perfect Uni to apply really...

If I am rejected this year I might try a Gamsat University in the future, but I mostly struggled to get a UCAS referree.

Warwick is one of the most lenient Uni for academics so it's fair that they put emphasis on work experience. I've also applied to Aston, Birmingham, Manchester undergrad and they are much tougher. The work exp criteria helps to bring down the pool of applicants imo.
Reply 61
Hello all, first year medic at Warwick and looking to set up some pre-interview sessions for those that secure an interview. DM me your email/number and I will add you to a whatsapp group. Those that have general questions are also welcome. All the best! 😊
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 62
Original post by justcamehere53
That must be it:

"Contextualisation of UCAT scores

Applicants who are a recent care-leaver or refugee/asylum seeker into the UK will be eligible for a reduction of 20 points in the minimum Verbal Reasoning (VR) cut-off score and an uplift of 60 points for their total score."

I like how the official UCAT Percentile score mean VR is 591 but Warwick puts 590:

"UCAT Cut Off 2024 Entry

For entry to WMS, you need to achieve at least the overall mean score on the Verbal Reasoning sub-test across ALL test-takers. The verbal reasoning (VR) cut-off for 2024 entry is 590. Any applicant with a VR score below 590 will automatically be rejected."

I don't know if they rounded to the nearest 0 or they just don't want someone to lose their minds for having within 1 of the cut off.

I am with similar scores but First Class Honours.

Exact VR is not relevant, only that you are above the mean. From then on, if you meet work experience requirements, it is all about how you rank against others in terms of points. This not only depends on what is the UCAT of others but also how many have First Class Honours vs 2nd Class Honours etc.

On the plus side, they claim on their website that invitees will be able to book their December interview slot from first week of December, which means all of us will know in a month essentially.

Its cause you cant actually get 591 as scores are in increments of 10, so they just round it.
Reply 63
Original post by Melliexx
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/med/study/ugr/applying/applicationprocess

''If shortlisted, receive an invitation to attend our selection centre
In our first round of selection scores academic achievement and UCAT total score. Work experience will be quantified and assessed via your online submission.
In early December, applicants successful in being shortlisted will be invited to attend our Selection Centre. You will be invited to choose one session eyou would like to attend (allocated on a first come, first served basis). Please note - we cannot accommodate alternative dates from those published.

We will select approximately 450 candidates to attend our selection centre each year.''

They basically look at your UCAT and academics, a first class degree/masters/PHD compensates for a lower UCAT (within the cutoff), and a higher UCAT compensates for a 2:1. This is what I was told at the open day.

I think you only get additional points if you have an achieved master's or PHd. Thats what was on the presentation at the open day.
Original post by SupPeeps
I think you only get additional points if you have an achieved master's or PHd. Thats what was on the presentation at the open day.

"Degree requirements
To apply, you should have, or be expected to achieve, a minimum of an upper second class honours (2:1) degree (or overseas equivalent) in any subject. Candidates with a lower second class degree should hold either a Master's or a Doctoral qualification awarded at the point of application to be considered for entry to the MB ChB.

During the selection process, you will be awarded points for your highest achieved academic qualification. You will only receive points for PhD and Master's qualifications which are complete and awarded by the UCAS application closing date.

Please note that any pending postgraduate qualifications must be fully completed prior to the course start date, with no exceptions."

Wait, so is it the case that the more academic qualifications you have, the more points? Or they use the highest you got (which for most people would be their undergraduate) and give you points whether you have 2.1 or 1?

I think Masters/PhD with at least 2.1 is used to compensate if someone has 2.2 on their undergrad.

It would be wild if undergrad 2.1 and undergrad 1st = same points, and they award points further only if you got Masters/PhD; Then, the academic requirements are not lax at all lol.
"Degree requirements
To apply, you should have, or be expected to achieve, a minimum of an upper second class honours (2:1) degree (or overseas equivalent) in any subject. Candidates with a lower second class degree should hold either a Master's or a Doctoral qualification awarded at the point of application to be considered for entry to the MB ChB.

During the selection process, you will be awarded points for your highest achieved academic qualification. You will only receive points for PhD and Master's qualifications which are complete and awarded by the UCAS application closing date.

Please note that any pending postgraduate qualifications must be fully completed prior to the course start date, with no exceptions."

Wait, so is it the case that the more academic qualifications you have, the more points? Or they use the highest you got (which for most people would be their undergraduate) and give you points whether you have 2.1 or 1?

I think Masters/PhD with at least 2.1 is used to compensate if someone has 2.2 on their undergrad.

It would be wild if undergrad 2.1 and undergrad 1st = same points, and they award points further only if you got Masters/PhD; Then, the academic requirements are not lax at all lol.

Not sure what you mean with "Masters/PhD with at least 2.1" but MSc's and PhD don't use the undergrad classification system (and integrated 4-years MSci are different from MSc with separate classification, too)
Reply 66
Original post by SupPeeps

Really? I might have gotten confused then. I do remember asking one of the admission ladies in the open day and she said to me that my 2:1 meant I needed a higher UCAT or masters, and if I had a first/masters I would be okay with a lower UCAT. Thanks a lot though, you're giving me hope :smile:
Original post by brasamical
Not sure what you mean with "Masters/PhD with at least 2.1" but MSc's and PhD don't use the undergrad classification system (and integrated 4-years MSci are different from MSc with separate classification, too)

Is someone with a first class honours in their undergrad > someone with a second class honours in undergrad?

and is someone with a masters/PhD > someone with a first class honours in their undergrad (assuming latter has only undergrad)?

Just asking because not everyone can afford to undertake a Masters.
Is someone with a first class honours in their undergrad > someone with a second class honours in undergrad?

and is someone with a masters/PhD > someone with a first class honours in their undergrad (assuming latter has only undergrad)?

Just asking because not everyone can afford to undertake a Masters.

No, they are used in conjunction with the UCAT apparently for ranking students, although I couldn't tell you the weighting. I got in with just a 2.1. Therefore you aren't automatically at the bottom of the pile if you got a 2.1. However if you have a low UCAT and a 2.1 then obviously you will have a less competitive application compared to someone with a higher UCAT and a 1st or a PhD etc. My advice is to not overthink this bit though, if you have a 2.1 or above you have met the minimum academic criteria. So either your UCAT was strong enough or it wasn't to compete. If people get rejected based on the academic component then coming back with a stronger UCAT will improve their chances.

Also Warwick interviews around 400 students, so there is generally a lower threshold required to get to the interview stage at Warwick so there is always hope! :smile:
I remember how stressful this period felt last year, constantly checking student room and my email. So in case anyone is in that state now, some FYIs

I got my interview invite on the 30th November. They dished out the invites very slowly. They also stopped sending invites out over the weekend and resumed the following Monday. I remember the agonising wait over the weekend.

So try not to stress, it could be a while yet before you hear, definitely don't panic when you start seeing people get invites if you haven't had yours. It really takes a while for everyone to get their invite.

Best of luck everyone, I know this time is really stressful. Try to relax and have as much fun as you can while you can in case you are successful!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 70
Original post by KMaisey
I remember how stressful this period felt last year, constantly checking student room and my email. So in case anyone is in that state now, some FYIs

I got my interview invite on the 30th November. They dished out the invites very slowly. They also stopped sending invites out over the weekend and resumed the following Monday. I remember the agonising wait over the weekend.

So try not to stress, it could be a while yet before you hear, definitely don't panic when you start seeing people get invites if you haven't had yours. It really takes a while for everyone to get their invite.

Best of luck everyone, I know this time is really stressful. Try to relax and have as much fun as you can while you can in case you are successful!

So lovely to see a fellow first year giving back especially since we were in this situation last year! Fantastic advice and effort K!
Original post by KMaisey
No, they are used in conjunction with the UCAT apparently for ranking students, although I couldn't tell you the weighting. I got in with just a 2.1. Therefore you aren't automatically at the bottom of the pile if you got a 2.1. However if you have a low UCAT and a 2.1 then obviously you will have a less competitive application compared to someone with a higher UCAT and a 1st or a PhD etc. My advice is to not overthink this bit though, if you have a 2.1 or above you have met the minimum academic criteria. So either your UCAT was strong enough or it wasn't to compete. If people get rejected based on the academic component then coming back with a stronger UCAT will improve their chances.

Also Warwick interviews around 400 students, so there is generally a lower threshold required to get to the interview stage at Warwick so there is always hope! :smile:

What was your UCAT score if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ve got a 2:1 and 2720 B2 which seems ok from previous years’ UCAT thresholds but that doesn’t account for degree classification.
Reply 72
Original post by mahdikhan786

I’ve got a 2:1 and 2720 B2 which seems ok from previous years’ UCAT thresholds but that doesn’t account for degree classification.

This is a good score- well done! The lowest UCAT that secured an interview last year was 2580 (unsure about the degree classification, but likely to be a 1st and/or masters/PhD). There is variation each year so whilst last year's statistics give an indication on thresholds, I wouldn't use it as gospel for 2024 intake. It all depends on who applies in a given year and the scores achieved. To my knowledge there were people with scores in the 2600/2700 range who secured interviews and applicants in the high 2900 score range who didn't, so it is evident that the selection procecss is multifactorial. Hope that helps!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Mancin22
This is a good score- well done! The lowest UCAT that secured an interview last year was 2580 (unsure about the degree classification, but likely to be a 1st and/or masters/PhD). There is variation each year so whilst last year's statistics give an indication on thresholds, I wouldn't use it as gospel for 2024 intake. It all depends on who applies in a given year and the scores achieved. To my knowledge there were people with scores in the 2600/2700 range who secured interviews and applicants in the high 2900 score range who didn't, so it is evident that the selection procecss is multifactorial. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much that’s extremely helpful! Guess there’s really nothing to do but wait for their response.
Reply 74
Does anyone know when interview offers normally go out? I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that it was the start of December. Thanks!
Reply 75
Original post by Jmoscow
Does anyone know when interview offers normally go out? I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that it was the start of December. Thanks!

2023 was end of Nov (30th) to beginning of Dec
Original post by mahdikhan786

My UCAT score was 2810.

2720 is a good score, but it will all depend on the pool of applicants for the year and if you actually managed to meet the tricky work experience requirements.
Reply 77
I hate all this waiting lol!
Reply 78
Original post by Mancin22
2023 was end of Nov (30th) to beginning of Dec

Thank you- time to play the waiting game
Original post by KMaisey
Btw I am a first year GEM student at Warwick who has reached the point in the day where I am procrastinating, if anyone has any questions about anything relating to Warwick medical school then I am happy to try and answer :smile:

Hey what was the lowest UCAT score you heard someone got that still got an interview? Please help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending