The Student Room Group

Access course science

Hi,
As you’ve seen me around, ive just turned 19 and been doing a levels and wanting to pursue into radiography but I need a level bio which would take me another year too.
It would be 2025.
I have paid £163 a month for my 3 a levels with oxbridge home learning and would also be spending a lot on exams
So id have to drop one a level to replace for biology and i may not pass it. I’m either choosing a level bio and re sitting my gcse sciences or I will apply to this :
https://bedfordcollegegroup.ac.uk/courses/combined-science-access-to-higher-education-advanced-level-3-bbk2290/
or
https://www.nhc.ac.uk/course/access-to-he-allied-health-science-professions-3/

would this qualification allow me to get into that career though?
I feel so stupid though because my GCSEs are poor from bullying and poor mental health. I then, joined level 2 animal sciences for two weeks and had to leave because i was mentally ill. then the next year i completed college with a level 2 health and social care program . then i went onto level 3 health and social care but didn’t enjoy as i was ill and was falling behind on school work so i decided to leave and study a levels from home as i wanted to become a nurse.
however, a nurse would be in consideration.
i just want to do radiography so badly! it is my absolute dream.
i dont want to look like an idiot with all these courses not finished but they’ve all been related anyway.
i’ll also finish earlier if i do an access course an go into uni next year 🙏🏼🙏🏼
also how does applying to University work when actually doing an access course?
i used to want to be a nurse and help others but i want to get into sonography but both nursing & radiography will lead me in that direction but radiography is better really :smile:
can i re sit IGCSE science as well this year alongside my access course? surely my access course will help anyway?
what would make me look like a better applicant?
also the a levels will cost me about 2,000 for the online courses 😖
(edited 8 months ago)
Bump
Original post by alevelstudent090
Hi,
As you’ve seen me around, ive just turned 19 and been doing a levels and wanting to pursue into radiography but I need a level bio which would take me another year too.
It would be 2025.
I have paid £163 a month for my 3 a levels with oxbridge home learning and would also be spending a lot on exams
So id have to drop one a level to replace for biology and i may not pass it. I’m either choosing a level bio and re sitting my gcse sciences or I will apply to this :
https://bedfordcollegegroup.ac.uk/courses/combined-science-access-to-higher-education-advanced-level-3-bbk2290/
or
https://www.nhc.ac.uk/course/access-to-he-allied-health-science-professions-3/

would this qualification allow me to get into that career though?
I feel so stupid though because my GCSEs are poor from bullying and poor mental health. I then, joined level 2 animal sciences for two weeks and had to leave because i was mentally ill. then the next year i completed college with a level 2 health and social care program . then i went onto level 3 health and social care but didn’t enjoy as i was ill and was falling behind on school work so i decided to leave and study a levels from home as i wanted to become a nurse.
however, a nurse would be in consideration.
i just want to do radiography so badly! it is my absolute dream.
i dont want to look like an idiot with all these courses not finished but they’ve all been related anyway.
i’ll also finish earlier if i do an access course an go into uni next year 🙏🏼🙏🏼
also how does applying to University work when actually doing an access course?
i used to want to be a nurse and help others but i want to get into sonography but both nursing & radiography will lead me in that direction but radiography is better really :smile:
can i re sit IGCSE science as well this year alongside my access course? surely my access course will help anyway?
what would make me look like a better applicant?
also the a levels will cost me about 2,000 for the online courses 😖

Hi,

Have you thought of doing a foundation year at the university you want to apply for rather than an access course? They are similar things but the foundation year will get you ready for university and specifically that university. I did a science foundation year and i felt so much more prepared when i went into my first year of university. As different unis have different entry requirements, I would recommend you contacting their admissions team or contacting the course leader for the course your interested in. You will get a specific answer then and know you are doing the right thing.

Good luck.

Victoria
Wrexham Uni rep
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
Hi,

Have you thought of doing a foundation year at the university you want to apply for rather than an access course? They are similar things but the foundation year will get you ready for university and specifically that university. I did a science foundation year and i felt so much more prepared when i went into my first year of university. As different unis have different entry requirements, I would recommend you contacting their admissions team or contacting the course leader for the course your interested in. You will get a specific answer then and know you are doing the right thing.

Good luck.

Victoria
Wrexham Uni rep

Hi, do I need a-levels for that tho?
Original post by alevelstudent090
Hi, do I need a-levels for that tho?

Hi,

No you don't, its usually used for people that don't have the A levels to get them up to level for uni. I did my science foundation year with no A levels. What uni are you looking to apply to, to do your degree?

Victoria
-Wrexham Uni Rep
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
Hi,

No you don't, its usually used for people that don't have the A levels to get them up to level for uni. I did my science foundation year with no A levels. What uni are you looking to apply to, to do your degree?

Victoria
-Wrexham Uni Rep

hi,
im hoping to go to bournemouth (if it actually has radiography) or brighton or herts or york 😂
thank you!!
BUMP
I’ve applied to one. Have I made a good choice?
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending