The Student Room Group

Finishing one A level a year later

I’m currently Year 12 doing A Level Maths, Chemistry and Biology. However I’m dropping Biology mid way through Year 12 and picking up Physics next year, which means I will complete my Maths and Chemistry A Level in 2025, and complete my Physics A Level in 2026. Will I still be able to be admitted into universities because of this? How will I be given an offer?
Original post by itayuuoris
I’m currently Year 12 doing A Level Maths, Chemistry and Biology. However I’m dropping Biology mid way through Year 12 and picking up Physics next year, which means I will complete my Maths and Chemistry A Level in 2025, and complete my Physics A Level in 2026. Will I still be able to be admitted into universities because of this? How will I be given an offer?

Most universities won't bat an eyelid about this, although some state a preference for all your A levels to have been taken in the "usual" two-year timeframe. Do you know for what course and/or what universities you might ultimately be applying?

When it comes to applying to university, you'll already have your Maths and Chemistry grades, so you'd add those directly to your UCAS application. You'd also enter your Physics grade as "Pending", and your referee (presumably your school / college) will convert that into a predicted grade. Universities who which to make offers will then include just the Physics grade in the offer conditions.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Most universities won't bat an eyelid about this, although some state a preference for all your A levels to have been taken in the "usual" two-year timeframe. Do you know for what course and/or what universities you might ultimately be applying?
When it comes to applying to university, you'll already have your Maths and Chemistry grades, so you'd add those directly to your UCAS application. You'd also enter your Physics grade as "Pending", and your referee (presumably your school / college) will convert that into a predicted grade. Universities who which to make offers will then include just the Physics grade in the offer conditions.
I’m planning on applying for astrophysics, I’m not certain on a specific uni but I am generally aiming for a Russell group.
Would I be applying for 2026 entry then? Which is within the 2 year timeframe of my maths and chemistry a level
I’m planning on applying for astrophysics, I’m not certain on a specific uni but I am generally aiming for a Russell group.
Would I be applying for 2026 entry then? Which is within the 2 year timeframe of my maths and chemistry a level

Yes, as you'll receive your Physics result in 2026, you'll be applying to start uni in 2026.

When you come to pick the unis you'll be applying for, check their web sites to see how they feel about applicants taking three years to study for three A levels. For example, what University of Sheffield has to say (here) is:

"We normally recommend that applicants undertake a sufficient volume of study in one sitting, for example by completing three A Levels or equivalent over two years, to demonstrate that they will be able to successfully manage a high level and volume of study once at the University.

Applicants who have taken an A Level or equivalent qualification a year early will usually be given credit for this in any offer made. However, as above, applicants are typically expected to complete the equivalent of three A Levels within two years. If applicants start qualifications a year early but take three years to prepare for and complete their final exams they may be asked to achieve a higher entry requirement than is standard.

Each applicant in these circumstances is considered on a case-by-case basis and we may request further information to support our overall review of the application."
Many top Unis will not be bothered by this - Bath and Bristol as two examples - but its worth emailing your likely UCAS choices to check this before you apply.
I don's see a problem.
You will still likely get into universities, if your grades meet the standards, it is likely you will be given a conditional offer and be fully accepted when you receive your last result.
For me I did History, IT and Law in Year 12. Year 13 I dropped Law a AS and picked up Business. I'm sitting Business to A Level (in June - I decided to sit it to A Level because I flunked my History) and have applied for universities starting Sept. Even though I still haven't received a grade I still was given offers both conditional and unconditional.

Quick Reply

Latest