The Student Room Group

Are My GCSE Grades good enough?

I am a student who just received his GCSE results and achieved this grades
Arabic:9,Mathematics :8,Photography:7,Biology:7,Chemistry:7,Physics:7,Geography:7,Business:6,English Lit:6,English Language:6.
I am interested in the Financial Mathematics and Stats Bsc at top unis such as LSE,Kings,Imperial and UCL and wondering if my Gcses may be a barrier to me entering this course at competitive unis such as these.I was 4 marks off an 8 in physics, 3 marks off a 7 in English Lit , 5 marks off a 7 in English Language and 4 marks off an 8 in Geography and was wondering if there was any point in getting them remarked if it would help me.
I am also going to try very hard on my A levels next year studying Maths,FM,Physics and Economics
Thanks
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bbtrdfuiyggggg
Arabic:9,Mathematics :8,Photography:7,Biology:7,Chemistry:7,Physics:7,Geography:7,Business:6,English Lit:6,English Language:6.
I am interested in the Financial Mathematics and Stats Bsc at top unis such as LSE,Kings,Imperial and UCL and wondering if my Gcses may be a barrier to me entering this course at competitive unis such as these.I was 4 marks off an 8 in physics, 3 marks off a 7 in English Lit and 4 marks off an 8 in Geography and was wondering if there was any point in getting them remarked if it would help me.
I am also going to try very hard on my A levels next year studying Maths,FM,Physics and Economics
Thanks

Hey! If anyone tries to tell you these gcses arent good enough please dont listen; these are incredible and a good example of a strong academic profile which is what universities like LSE love, it can get super toxic on here so just know you can go into the pathway you want with these!
Reply 2
I am interested in the Financial Mathematics and Stats Bsc at top unis such as LSE,Kings,Imperial and UCL and wondering if my Gcses may be a barrier to me entering this course at competitive unis such as these.I was 4 marks off an 8 in physics, 3 marks off a 7 in English Lit , 5 marks off a 7 in English Language and 4 marks off an 8 in Geography and was wondering if there was any point in getting them remarked if it would help me.
Thanks

hi, if u want to do maths and stats in the future then ur lower grades in english won't matter at all. unis only rly care if u got 6s and above in maths and english so u are completely fine. u got great grades in the subjects that do matter for ur course! well done and good luck with your a levels. don't burn yourself out
Reply 3
at top unis such as LSE, Kings, Imperial and UCL

Please do not apply to all of these Unis - for competitive courses, these Unis get thousands of applications and your chances of an offer, even if you meet / exceed the entry requirements, are therefore slim. This is not because they are in any way 'better' but simply because of the supposed glamour of being in London.

My advice is always to go for a max of two of these choices - with the others out-of-London Unis like Bristol, Manchester, Bath etc and making sure that you have at least one choice that is two grades below your predicted grades as a potential Insurance choice - because having your Firm and Insurance with identical grade requirements for any competitive subject like this is really silly.
Original post by xlowena
Hey! If anyone tries to tell you these gcses arent good enough please dont listen; these are incredible and a good example of a strong academic profile which is what universities like LSE love, it can get super toxic on here so just know you can go into the pathway you want with these!

this!
Original post by McGinger
Please do not apply to all of these Unis - for competitive courses, these Unis get thousands of applications and your chances of an offer, even if you meet / exceed the entry requirements, are therefore slim. This is not because they are in any way 'better' but simply because of the supposed glamour of being in London.

My advice is always to go for a max of two of these choices - with the others out-of-London Unis like Bristol, Manchester, Bath etc and making sure that you have at least one choice that is two grades below your predicted grades as a potential Insurance choice - because having your Firm and Insurance with identical grade requirements for any competitive subject like this is really silly.

Yeah ill probably go LSE,Imperial,Kings,Bath and Southampton
Reply 6
Yeah ill probably go LSE,Imperial,Kings,Bath and Southampton

It is far too early have chosen your 5 unis already. Focus on your A-levels, push yourself to get the best predicted grades possible, go to uni open days next Jun/Jul, then decide.
Original post by lalexm
It is far too early have chosen your 5 unis already. Focus on your A-levels, push yourself to get the best predicted grades possible, go to uni open days next Jun/Jul, then decide.

Not really mate because if i look and decide from now i can see what I actually need therefore i can aim for the grades and can also help with motivation
Not really mate because if i look and decide from now i can see what I actually need therefore i can aim for the grades and can also help with motivation

This is true, but leave room for you to change and develop new aspirations and to see the reality of what different Unis offer. This is, I think, what lalexm meant.
Reply 9

Okay, whatever helps motivate you. To have a reasonable chance of getting into hyper competitive unis like UCL, LSE etc, you want at least A*A*A predictions, even if the requirement is a bit lower. Aim as high as you can.
(Original post by bbtrdfuiyggggg)Yeah ill probably go LSE,Imperial,Kings,Bath and Southampton

Gambling on 3 London universities is extremely risky as you have already been advised. You would be far better advised to apply to 2 of them and for the other choice to be a real insurance choice. Loads get rejected every year from LSE and Imperial even with outstanding grades.
Original post by totallyfine
This is true, but leave room for you to change and develop new aspirations and to see the reality of what different Unis offer. This is, I think, what lalexm meant.

yeah for sure im not gonna close any door
Original post by lalexm
Okay, whatever helps motivate you. To have a reasonable chance of getting into hyper competitive unis like UCL, LSE etc, you want at least A*A*A predictions, even if the requirement is a bit lower. Aim as high as you can.

I have already achieved an A level in Arabic so ill have 5 which i think may help my case a bit, as well as going to a public school
Reply 13
as well as going to a public school

And how does this make any difference.
No it wont universities look at your best 3. As was said in a university open day I attended years ago we arent interested in 6 A levels we are only interested in 3. A s far where you attend that wont help either. 60% of LSEs students come from abroad. Maybe it is time for you to come down off your pedastal and face reality. There is a very strong likelyhood of rejections at top London universities and it happens every year to students who exceed entry requirements

Have you actually looked at the details of their degrees? That's essential - do you know which use coursework for assessments?
I have already achieved an A level in Arabic so ill have 5 which i think may help my case a bit, as well as going to a public school

Do you mean a state school or a private school? Your A level in Arabic won't count as it's an 'old' qualification
Original post by McGinger
And how does this make any difference.

they look at your schools performance in general when they consider your application if you didnt already know that
Original post by swanseajack1
No it wont universities look at your best 3. As was said in a university open day I attended years ago we arent interested in 6 A levels we are only interested in 3. A s far where you attend that wont help either. 60% of LSEs students come from abroad. Maybe it is time for you to come down off your pedastal and face reality. There is a very strong likelyhood of rejections at top London universities and it happens every year to students who exceed entry requirements

calm yourself jack just because you werent good enough to get into a london uni im sure at my age ive done more things to help my application then you have🤣
Original post by Muttley79
Do you mean a state school or a private school? Your A level in Arabic won't count as it's an 'old' qualification

state and they dont see qualifications differently in regards to when you sat them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending