The Student Room Group

QMUL Dentistry 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by abbyabby123
Hi everyone, heres what my dental application has been like so far...it doesnt end well.
I'm currently gap year student who is Re-applying to dentistry this year. Last year I got all 4 rejections (which i assume is because of my UCAT😭😭). I absolutely hate that exam because I worked extremely hard for it throughout the summer after year 12...only to end up with a score of 2460 and B3. I have no idea why I thought i still had a chance of getting in. Ended up getting all rejections and had severe mental breakdowns for months because I couldn't process the feeling of rejection. I've always done really well academically and its the first time i had felt like an absolute failure.
I got 7A*s and 2As in my GCSEs so i thought i would easily ace the UCAT...turns out it doesn't matter how well you do in your academics, the UCAT is nothing like that.
Anyways, i decided to just fully concentrate on my A levels after my rejections because i was confident i would get the grades. I ended up getting 2A*s and 1A. Was extremely happy and then decide to reapply for dentistry. That meant having to take the UCAT again. Even though i had severe PTSD from the first time, i pushed myself to go for it again and was hoping to improve. Again, I worked all summer for it and spent hours and hours into making sure I would stay calm under the time pressure, and was doing fairly well in mocks. Exam day came and.....well, i thought the exam was going well and was confident I would come out with a better score.
That was not was happened😭
I ended up getting 2520 and a B2.
i was devastated! even though i did better than last time, i knew it wasn't enough and i was aiming for at least a 2700.
This just went to show that there are certain types of exams made for certain types of people. The UCAT was definitely not made for me...i cant handle the severe time pressure like others can. But when it comes to academic exams, I do really well because i guess I just know what to expect.
Anyways, I knew for a fact that it was dentistry that i wanted to pursue and even with my UCAT score, I was hoping my good grades and all my work experiences and personal statement could somehow get me through again....I didnt want to give up...i knew i had to keep trying.
So, yeh i applied again this year to Leeds, Liverpool, QMUL and QUB.
im not gonna lie, Ive had several panic attacks at random days when i think about the outcome, but im trying my best to stay optimistic.
Up until, well....today.
I got rejected from QMUL. its my first rejection so far, and I had the most hope from this university. Im just extremely stressed out i wont get in again and have no motivation of taking a second gap year😭

To conclude i just wanna say, being a very academic person, getting good grades all my life, being top of the class most years, being confident I would easily get into university, and having the rest of the world tell me that im going to go far in life...i feel like Ive hit rock bottom now because i havent lived up to my expectations and the future i wanted for myself.
its hard.

You have achieved:
A* A* A* A* A* A* A* A A at GCSEs level
A* A* A at A levels
A solid Personal Statement

Trust me man after all that you have done giving up will be a huge disservice to yourself. Three years ain't nothing compared to the many years you still have to live. If you wanna be a dentist, GO BE A DENTIST. Don't stress yourself out, you're sitll young xD.

UCAT is just the final hurdle blocking you from greatness. Spend this whole year revising for it if you get no offers. Try different revision strategies.

This was probably the most corny thing I have ever said but I truly feel for you and your situation.
Original post by Ahmetask38
keep grinding dont give up, use ur fifth option if u need to and hopefully u get to good places dont feel
sad im sure there r people in worse situations👍👍

I applied for dental hygiene and therapy at Manchester for my fifth option. But I heard later on that Manchester will prioritize people who apply for Dent H&T as their first option because those are the people who are more passionate about the course....compared to those who chose Dentistry as their first option.
Reply 82
I applied for dental hygiene and therapy at Manchester for my fifth option. But I heard later on that Manchester will prioritize people who apply for Dent H&T as their first option because those are the people who are more passionate about the course....compared to those who chose Dentistry as their first option.

They don’t know where else you have applied, or what for.
Hi everyone, heres what my dental application has been like so far...it doesnt end well.
I'm currently gap year student who is Re-applying to dentistry this year. Last year I got all 4 rejections (which i assume is because of my UCAT😭😭). I absolutely hate that exam because I worked extremely hard for it throughout the summer after year 12...only to end up with a score of 2460 and B3. I have no idea why I thought i still had a chance of getting in. Ended up getting all rejections and had severe mental breakdowns for months because I couldn't process the feeling of rejection. I've always done really well academically and its the first time i had felt like an absolute failure.
I got 7A*s and 2As in my GCSEs so i thought i would easily ace the UCAT...turns out it doesn't matter how well you do in your academics, the UCAT is nothing like that.
Anyways, i decided to just fully concentrate on my A levels after my rejections because i was confident i would get the grades. I ended up getting 2A*s and 1A. Was extremely happy and then decide to reapply for dentistry. That meant having to take the UCAT again. Even though i had severe PTSD from the first time, i pushed myself to go for it again and was hoping to improve. Again, I worked all summer for it and spent hours and hours into making sure I would stay calm under the time pressure, and was doing fairly well in mocks. Exam day came and.....well, i thought the exam was going well and was confident I would come out with a better score.
i was devastated! even though i did better than last time, i knew it wasn't enough and i was aiming for at least a 2700.
This just went to show that there are certain types of exams made for certain types of people. The UCAT was definitely not made for me...i cant handle the severe time pressure like others can. But when it comes to academic exams, I do really well because i guess I just know what to expect.
Anyways, I knew for a fact that it was dentistry that i wanted to pursue and even with my UCAT score, I was hoping my good grades and all my work experiences and personal statement could somehow get me through again....I didnt want to give up...i knew i had to keep trying.
im not gonna lie, Ive had several panic attacks at random days when i think about the outcome, but im trying my best to stay optimistic.
Up until, well....today.
I got rejected from QMUL. its my first rejection so far, and I had the most hope from this university. Im just extremely stressed out i wont get in again and have no motivation of taking a second gap year😭

To conclude i just wanna say, being a very academic person, getting good grades all my life, being top of the class most years, being confident I would easily get into university, and having the rest of the world tell me that im going to go far in life...i feel like Ive hit rock bottom now because i havent lived up to my expectations and the future i wanted for myself.
its hard.

Hi,
Yeah man after reading this I may sound extremely cringe saying this but I really do see what you mean that’s gotta hurt for sure and of course it is hard. What I will say is don’t give up, today I got rejected from queen Mary as well and I also feel like I’ve hit rock bottom, it’s definitely made me feel really bad about myself and I haven’t even been able to put myself together and tell my parents out of embarrassment. I’ve also applied to Liverpool as well as kings and I hope to get those somehow. I don’t know much as a 17 yr old but I do know dentistry is a career that demands perseverance and resilience many a time and you will face several obstacles like these. We just gotta stick it out and keep our heads high, whilst the best outcome arrives for us - everything that happens has a reason behind it < 3
Also your GCSEs and A levels are amazing it’s just the Ucat which is the obstacle, whilst I believe it is very likely for you to get into maybe Liverpool or QuB, if things don’t work out don’t give up, you have many years to live and dentistry is the career you want and the career you deserve, you can do this!
Original post by Oongie
what were your gcses.

everyone, they don’t consider ur GCSEs(mine were high btw) at this stage you need to get above the minimum threshold of 2948-including ur ucat score+Ucas tariffs (u can find them on google) if you get below 2948 expect to be rejected
Reply 85
Original post by Iluvshawarmak
everyone, they don’t consider ur GCSEs(mine were high btw) at this stage you need to get above the minimum threshold of 2948-including ur ucat score+Ucas tariffs (u can find them on google) if you get below 2948 expect to be rejected

how do you know it is 2948 specifically. Send the source please
Original post by Oongie
how do you know it is 2948 specifically. Send the source please

An email from the admission team, believe it or not but if you do get below this expect a rejection-but this is only for home students and for international students it is higher
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 87
An email from the admission team, believe it or not but if you do get below this expect a rejection-but this is only for home students and for international students it is higher

damn i barely got lucky cos of my AS grade, I am 2958 with my 2770 UCAT. Do they give any contextual acknowledgement during interview selection?
Original post by Oongie
damn i barely got lucky cos of my AS grade, I am 2958 with my 2770 UCAT. Do they give any contextual acknowledgement during interview selection?

I doubt it cause I’m contextual and I was of the threshold by 15 points yet they still rejected me

Is the ucas tariff only for your highest 3 A levels?
Original post by de_ception
Is the ucas tariff only for your highest 3 A levels?

no for all the a level u do I assume
Guys where do u get notified rhat u got rejected
no for all the a level u do I assume

I got scared and didn't apply here because I was unsure about it but nvm
Original post by Ahmetask38
Guys where do u get notified rhat u got rejected

On the qmul mysis portal it says a decision has been made and on ucas it says the application was unsuccessful
Up until, well....today.

its hard.

hey..

I know you've gotten plenty of replies but I wanted to say my bit too...

I am thankfully not in the same struggles as some people or even you and I thank god for that. But I too I guess have faced struggles whether to some people they seem minor or major, I wanted to share my story kind of even though it's quite small issues because you should never lose hope.

At GCSE, I revised a lot and I got 999998876 (I couldn't do english for my life). For sixth form I switched to a girl's sixth form where I am one of 2 boys. It was quite hard, being in a girl's school in and of itself is an issue and I faced a lot of mental issues, I wasn't depressed but I had a lot of social anxiety. Where in year 11 I was loud and always talking, in year 12 that stopped, because of many reasons.

The jump from year 11 to year 12 was big for me and in my January PPE I got BCCD. I was struggling. My maths teacher told me repeatedly in front of the class that I'm a C student and made fun of me, not with ill intention. My Chemistry teacher had not a lot of faith neither did my Biology teacher. I never took psychology seriously.

I started revising in time for my AS-Levels at the start of April, and when everyone was telling me I couldn't do it, I just kept going. It's annoying when people don't believe in you. On results day I got AAAB (couple marks off A in psychology but dropped it anyways)

My 6th form wouldn't predict me the A*AA but after harassing them for weeks they budged in.

Now the UCAT; i didn't get it at all. just like you I only like academics, I've always said that I'm not smart I just revise and learn for the exams. But somehow by the grace and mercy of God, I got a 2810 B2. Don't ask me how.

Alhamdullilah, Alhamdullilah I've received med interview at plymouth and dent at manchester and still waiting anxiously for qmul and kcl.

Moral of the story: Do what your heart thinks is best, and believe in yourself because WALLAHI no one else will. I still feel like my teachers don't believe in me, they disregard me as a student that's in their eyes stupid, but I will never stop believing in myself. And greater than all believe and trust in God. He is the best of Planners

sorry for the essay xxx
Reply 95
Just received interview email came 5 minutes ago
got an invite to interview too guys
got an interview !!
What times are your interviews? Mine is 24 Jan :smile:
Original post by briocheloaf
got an interview !!

Nice what ucat

Quick Reply

Latest