The Student Room Group

Clearing

How does clearing work?

I’m scared I might not get into uni so I wanna know how clearing works just in case but hopefully I won’t need to use clearing. I asked my head of year to explain a bit more but she just angrily replied “do you not listen when I talked about it in assembly?!” so that’s put me off going to ask her.

Can I ask my firm uni if I don’t get in?
Original post by sh_1205
How does clearing work?

I’m scared I might not get into uni so I wanna know how clearing works just in case but hopefully I won’t need to use clearing. I asked my head of year to explain a bit more but she just angrily replied “do you not listen when I talked about it in assembly?!” so that’s put me off going to ask her.

If your firm reject you no. They will have looked at your grades and decided they dont want you.

You ring around universities to see who will accept you and then apply there through clearing. You will have your grades and be able to match yourself with universities who are looking for applicants with those grades
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
If your firm reject you no. They will have looked at your grades and decided they dont want you.

You ring around universities to see who will accept you and then apply there through clearing. You will have your grades and be able to match yourself with universities who are looking for applicants with those grades

But how do you apply
Original post by sh_1205
But how do you apply

You call the clearing line of the uni you want to apply to. Some unis have a web form for you to register interest but in most cases you pick up the phone.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
You call the clearing line of the uni you want to apply to. Some unis have a web form for you to register interest but in most cases you pick up the phone.

And do I have to fill out the form on results day or before results day?
Original post by sh_1205

You won't know if you are in clearing until results day. There is a good guide to the process on the UCAS website:

https://ultimateguides.ucas.com/makethemostofclearing/
Original post by sh_1205

Depends on the uni. They might have a form that you can fill in ahead of time to pre-register your interest.
Original post by sh_1205
How does clearing work?

Hey there @sh_1205 !
Clearing is basically a hotline that runs in the weeks that follow results day. You can ring up the university you'd like to join and let them know what course you're interested in and they can tell you all about it or point you in the right direction as to where the information is online about it. If you're set on that course they can also help you apply through clearing which means if any courses have spare spaces on them, they can take on more people provided they have a set of A Level results. Some Russell Group universities do offer spaces through clearing, however as far as I'm aware they do still have high entry requirements even through clearing. It's very easy to get through to someone and they'll guide you through the process as best they can. They're probably aware it's quite a stressful time for prospect students as it's usually more for people who's A Levels might not have gone their way. However, lets say you have a complete change of mind on your career path, they can also point you in the right direction as to where to start and what courses would be beneficial to your dream career. They're basically there to help you in any way they can.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending