The Student Room Group

Student Finance Application - Higher Maintenance for Estranged Student?

Hi,

I'm currently filling out my student finance application for 23/24. I have all the evidence I need for estrangement status. For brief context, I have not had contact with my father since I was 13 and I have not had contact with my mother for about a year, with sparse contact before this.

I was wondering, on the question asking if I want to apply for the Higher Maintenance loan, should I put yes or no?

I need the higher amount, but I'm unsure because the amount is based on household income I believe, and this means my mother would be contacted about her household income.

If I put yes, will she not be contacted and I can attach my evidence for estrangement on my account after the form?

Or do I put no, and she won't be contacted but then I'm unsure if I would even be able to attach evidence for estrangement after the form or receive more than the basic amount?

For context, earlier in the form I said that I was irreconcilably estranged from my parents. The form hasn't asked me for any information about my mother's income also.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Original post by luminarydan
Hi,

I'm currently filling out my student finance application for 23/24. I have all the evidence I need for estrangement status. For brief context, I have not had contact with my father since I was 13 and I have not had contact with my mother for about a year, with sparse contact before this.

I was wondering, on the question asking if I want to apply for the Higher Maintenance loan, should I put yes or no?

I need the higher amount, but I'm unsure because the amount is based on household income I believe, and this means my mother would be contacted about her household income.

If I put yes, will she not be contacted and I can attach my evidence for estrangement on my account after the form?

Or do I put no, and she won't be contacted but then I'm unsure if I would even be able to attach evidence for estrangement after the form or receive more than the basic amount?

For context, earlier in the form I said that I was irreconcilably estranged from my parents. The form hasn't asked me for any information about my mother's income also.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi there,

If you have selected estrangement earlier in the form, then when you select higher finance we shouldn't ask for your parents details. We will need you to send your estrangement evidence with a cover letter, and we will review this and confirm if this has been accepted. You can upload this online in your account under the evidence upload option.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending