The Student Room Group

SFE help - 2nd degree financial options

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help w/ this.

I am due to reapply for student finance (maintenance loan) for next year. I turn 24 in two weeks; I live with my partner in London, away from my parents' home.

I, unfortunately, am not on speaking terms with my parents but only have 2 years' worth of self-supporting evidence, so I cannot apply as an estranged student. This is my 2nd undergrad degree, so my financial options are very limited, and I'm currently working two jobs, trying to find a third alongside a full-time degree.

Considering my circumstances, would I have to use my partner's financial information or my parents' for my application?

Your help is much appreciated.
Original post by JAM_JAM12
I am due to reapply for student finance (maintenance loan) for next year. I turn 24 in two weeks; I live with my partner in London, away from my parents' home.
I, unfortunately, am not on speaking terms with my parents but only have 2 years' worth of self-supporting evidence, so I cannot apply as an estranged student. This is my 2nd undergrad degree, so my financial options are very limited, and I'm currently working two jobs, trying to find a third alongside a full-time degree.
Considering my circumstances, would I have to use my partner's financial information or my parents' for my application?

Hello @JAM_JAM12,

I'm sorry to hear you have found yourself in what sounds like a really tricky situation.

SFE applications can be complicated, so I would advise contacting them directly to discuss your situation and see what they advise. Alternatively, your institution will likely have somebody in their finance department who will be able to advise.

You mentioned having two jobs and looking for a third, which sounds like a lot to balance, so I thought I would also share our guide to balancing work and studying incase that helpful to you - https://bit.ly/3PgRZ9z

I hope this helps, good luck!

Warm regards,

Becky

Hi there,

Just to clarify, if you're estranged from your parents we don't need you to prove anything beyond this.

When you re-applies did you indicate on the application that you're now estranged?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 3
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,
Just to clarify, if you're estranged from your parents we don't need you to prove anything beyond this.
When you re-applies did you indicate on the application that you're now estranged?
Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for your reply. I haven’t yet re-applied but I am in the process of doing this so I haven’t indicated this in my application
Hi Graeme,
Thanks for your reply. I haven’t yet re-applied but I am in the process of doing this so I haven’t indicated this in my application

Hi there,

If you reapply and confirm you're estranged then we will request evidence from you. Does anyone in profession know of the situation with your parents i.e. lecturer at university?

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending