The Student Room Group

Thinking of doing a access course at uni instead of an HNC,(I'm a mature student)

So I have an unconditional for Hnc social science starting in August but due to certain circumstances I'm considering possibly doing a course at university for access rather than an HNC. The thing is, Ive already applied for SAAS for my Hnc.... (Haven't heard back) will that application be counted towards the loans I'm entitled to or will it not be since I don't actually be starting the course? Then maybe I'll have to pay for uni! I hope you understand what I mean :frown: please respond asap I'm stressed.
I would recommend contacting SAAS to confirm (as I'm more familiar with SFE's processes) but usually for SFE at least you would just have the application amended to reflect the new course you wish to do. With SFE normally doesn't count towards your entitlement until after some of the loan is actually disbursed and/or you are held liable for fees at the new uni (which usually won't be until a week or two after the course starts for most unis). I suspect SAAS is similar but as noted, best to call them and check :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I would recommend contacting SAAS to confirm (as I'm more familiar with SFE's processes) but usually for SFE at least you would just have the application amended to reflect the new course you wish to do. With SFE normally doesn't count towards your entitlement until after some of the loan is actually disbursed and/or you are held liable for fees at the new uni (which usually won't be until a week or two after the course starts for most unis). I suspect SAAS is similar but as noted, best to call them and check :smile:

Thank you for your response 😊 I am really at a crossroads. The only reason why I'm thinking of switching to do an access course at the university of Glasgow is because if I do an HNC, I'll have to most likely travel far to another university as barely any are close to me apart from Edinburgh and Glasgow. I have a serious relationship and it would be difficult. Do you think a university access course would be worth it?
Original post by HistoryFan96
Thank you for your response 😊 I am really at a crossroads. The only reason why I'm thinking of switching to do an access course at the university of Glasgow is because if I do an HNC, I'll have to most likely travel far to another university as barely any are close to me apart from Edinburgh and Glasgow. I have a serious relationship and it would be difficult. Do you think a university access course would be worth it?

What type of access course are you referring to? That might help tailor advice.

Generally I'd probably suggest the access course anyway if it's a standalone further education qualification - has HNC/HND courses can affect your entitlement to funding for a full degree if you don't go directly into 2nd/3rd year respectively, at least for courses funded by SFE (SAAS may do it differently).

I can't see the HNC offers anything over an access course and might have downsides that an access course doesn't, basically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending