The Student Room Group

Returning to uni after a year off

Hey everyone. I need help getting back to my way of studying or at least a functional new way but am completely stuck.
Exactly a year ago yesterday I was involved in a traffic accident ending up under a city bus. I was a first-year undergraduate Law student, My study advisors were pretty chill and helped me get my things in order, but the rest is ofc up to me. I told them I would like to finish the few courses I couldn't last year in May and June. Learning to walk again of course was my top priority I have permanent issues now with walking and have taken a lot of medicine in this past year. They seem to have wrecked my brain. I have an exam in 3 days, need to cover about 7 weeks of material and a ton of case law but I just have no clue where to start. I am insanely stressed and the meds I still take aren't helping. They work for nerve pain but also as sleeping meds but if I don't take them I don't get a second of sleep, the moment I do I can count on being groggy and insanely tired for up to 13/14 hours after. That disrupts my day of studying and I have no idea where to take it from here. I also have ADHD but am unmedicated so if anyone at all has any tips to jumpstart my studying, please!
Reply 1
Original post by juicera
Hey everyone. I need help getting back to my way of studying or at least a functional new way but am completely stuck.
Exactly a year ago yesterday I was involved in a traffic accident ending up under a city bus. I was a first-year undergraduate Law student, My study advisors were pretty chill and helped me get my things in order, but the rest is ofc up to me. I told them I would like to finish the few courses I couldn't last year in May and June. Learning to walk again of course was my top priority I have permanent issues now with walking and have taken a lot of medicine in this past year. They seem to have wrecked my brain. I have an exam in 3 days, need to cover about 7 weeks of material and a ton of case law but I just have no clue where to start. I am insanely stressed and the meds I still take aren't helping. They work for nerve pain but also as sleeping meds but if I don't take them I don't get a second of sleep, the moment I do I can count on being groggy and insanely tired for up to 13/14 hours after. That disrupts my day of studying and I have no idea where to take it from here. I also have ADHD but am unmedicated so if anyone at all has any tips to jumpstart my studying, please!

I hope you're doing well. I wanted to reach out to offer my support to the person who posted about their struggles with studying after a traumatic accident. I can only imagine how challenging this journey has been for you, and I commend your determination to continue your education despite the obstacles you've faced.

Firstly, it's important to acknowledge the progress you've made so far. Recovering from such a traumatic incident takes time and requires a great deal of strength. Be proud of yourself for how far you've come.

Now, regarding your upcoming exam and the overwhelming amount of material you need to cover, here are a few suggestions that might help jumpstart your studying:

Break it down: Start by breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks. This will make it easier to tackle and prevent you from feeling overwhelmed. Create a study schedule that includes specific topics or chapters to cover each day.

Prioritise key concepts: Identify the most important concepts and case law that are likely to be covered in the exam. Focus on understanding and mastering these areas first. If time permits, you can then move on to the less critical topics.

Seek additional resources: Look for supplementary resources such as textbooks, online articles, or video lectures that can help you grasp the material more effectively. These resources can provide alternative explanations and examples that may aid in your understanding.

Study groups or tutoring: Consider joining a study group or seeking tutoring support. Collaborating with peers or receiving guidance from a knowledgeable tutor can provide valuable insights and help clarify any confusing topics.

Utilise active learning techniques: Instead of simply reading and highlighting, actively engage with the material. Take notes, summarise key points in your own words, and create flashcards or diagrams to aid in memory retention.

Take regular breaks: It's important to give yourself regular breaks during study sessions to avoid burnout. Use these breaks to relax, engage in activities you enjoy, and recharge your energy levels.

Practice past exam papers: Familiarise yourself with the exam format and practice answering past papers or sample questions. This will not only help you become more comfortable with the exam structure but also identify areas where you need further improvement.

Lastly, remember to take care of yourself. Prioritise sleep, eat nutritious meals, and engage in activities that promote relaxation and reduce stress. It's essential to find a balance between studying and self-care.

You've already demonstrated incredible resilience and determination. Believe in yourself and your ability to overcome this challenge. I wish you the very best in your upcoming exam. You've got this!

Take care and reach out if you need any further assistance or support.
Reply 2
Original post by Nigel BSc
I hope you're doing well. I wanted to reach out to offer my support to the person who posted about their struggles with studying after a traumatic accident. I can only imagine how challenging this journey has been for you, and I commend your determination to continue your education despite the obstacles you've faced.

Firstly, it's important to acknowledge the progress you've made so far. Recovering from such a traumatic incident takes time and requires a great deal of strength. Be proud of yourself for how far you've come.

Now, regarding your upcoming exam and the overwhelming amount of material you need to cover, here are a few suggestions that might help jumpstart your studying:

Break it down: Start by breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks. This will make it easier to tackle and prevent you from feeling overwhelmed. Create a study schedule that includes specific topics or chapters to cover each day.

Prioritise key concepts: Identify the most important concepts and case law that are likely to be covered in the exam. Focus on understanding and mastering these areas first. If time permits, you can then move on to the less critical topics.

Seek additional resources: Look for supplementary resources such as textbooks, online articles, or video lectures that can help you grasp the material more effectively. These resources can provide alternative explanations and examples that may aid in your understanding.

Study groups or tutoring: Consider joining a study group or seeking tutoring support. Collaborating with peers or receiving guidance from a knowledgeable tutor can provide valuable insights and help clarify any confusing topics.

Utilise active learning techniques: Instead of simply reading and highlighting, actively engage with the material. Take notes, summarise key points in your own words, and create flashcards or diagrams to aid in memory retention.

Take regular breaks: It's important to give yourself regular breaks during study sessions to avoid burnout. Use these breaks to relax, engage in activities you enjoy, and recharge your energy levels.

Practice past exam papers: Familiarise yourself with the exam format and practice answering past papers or sample questions. This will not only help you become more comfortable with the exam structure but also identify areas where you need further improvement.

Lastly, remember to take care of yourself. Prioritise sleep, eat nutritious meals, and engage in activities that promote relaxation and reduce stress. It's essential to find a balance between studying and self-care.

You've already demonstrated incredible resilience and determination. Believe in yourself and your ability to overcome this challenge. I wish you the very best in your upcoming exam. You've got this!

Take care and reach out if you need any further assistance or support.

I can not show my gratitude enough! Thank you for all your kind words and of course all your helpful tips. Seeing them written out like this already makes it feel more manageable honestly thanks so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending