The Student Room Group

White tie ?!

Hello

Could anyone explain what my dc needs to wear when they are invited to a ‘white tie’ event?
Reply 1
masculine white tie is the black tailcoat +white shirt/bow tie/waistcoat you see when you google white tie.
feminine white tie is any kind of long formal gown (should be floor length and fairly fancy e.g. a long casual summer dress wouldn’t fit the dress code).
White tie can be expensive - unless they’re likely to be invited to lots of events like these, hiring or borrowing might be the way to go, especially for masculine white tie.
Is this for a commemoration ball? If you look at images of the ball from previous years (can sometimes find by googling) you can get an idea of what people usually wear (though be careful you are actually looking at pictures of the relevant ball as some of the smaller ones are black tie not white tie)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hello

Could anyone explain what my dc needs to wear when they are invited to a ‘white tie’ event?

This is a good article about “White tie” for men.
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/white-tie-dress-code

Moss bros hire for about £150 for the whole regalia although I think that excludes shoes. You can buy of course but there are few suppliers and they are all relatively pricey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending