The Student Room Group

Do students usually dress up for classes?

People in the US usually just wear sweats and tracks to college. No one really dresses up. Wondering what’s the culture in London unis?
If anything people dress down...
Anon,

It's pretty chilled out at UK universities. People wear what they want.

Clothing does depend a little bit on what you are studying e.g. if you are studying art, you might be more creative, expressive or grungy and if you're studying something like podiatry/ physiotherapy you might wear more sportwear, but in general you can just be yourself.

It might be a bit different at Russell Group universities/ some of the universities with the bigger names, it might be more smart casual, so you can always go smart/casual on the first day and then you could get a general idea of how people dress on your course.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Hi,

There is no dress code at universities as far as I am aware!

Obviously if you are doing something like Medicine, Nursing or Midwifery you will need to wear the appropriate scrubs/uniform that the university will inform you of.

Most people just wear normal, casual clothes but I wouldn't think twice if I saw someone in their pyjamas/activewear or dressed up!

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
People rock up in pyjamas and onesies.
It is typically the opposite.

Just keep in mind what you're doing that day when selecting your wardrobe. E.g. if you study biology, you'll be in the labs a lot so should make sure you wear lab-appropriate clothing and shoes (no bare legs or open-toed shoes). If you're a film student, you'd want to wear minimal jewelery and shoes that you can move about in quietly so it isn't picked up by the sound equipment (no heels!).
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
People in the US usually just wear sweats and tracks to college. No one really dresses up. Wondering what’s the culture in London unis?

Hi,
Unlike secondary school, University doesn't have a dress code. It is up to you how you dress.
Some students do prioritize comfort and wear sweats and tracks and there are others who like to dress more formally. Occasions such as graduation or uni meetings or placements are occasions which may have a more formal requirement to dress up smarter. Day to day classes are up to you. If you like to wear sweats and that is your style then go for it and if you prefer to dress up then do that - be true to yourself and be comfortable in how you dress instead of feeling forced to fit in.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Most courses don’t have a dress code I think in some medical courses I think you might need to wear scrubs or a lab coat. The only actual dress code I saw was team solent (sports related courses) at Solent they had to wear this tracksuit like a uniform. I remember a girl in my house saying “I thought I’d left school uniform at school. (She was not impressed) in my course it was mostly hoodies an trainers or whatever except we weren’t allowed open toed shoes in labs for obvious reasons.
No. UK students typically dress very casually, something like jeans & a t-shirt or jumper is pretty typical.
Hey there!

Do not worry about dressing up for a lecture, most people are quite casual and wear Jeans and trainers. I am a nursing student and will have to wear a uniform for skills but apart from that, I wear casual clothes. I like to be comfortable when I study and think about the task I am completing. We are lucky on our campus we have a shower and can change if we need to after clinical skills sessions. Enjoy university!

ARU Dee
Student Digital Ambassador
Reply 10
I wear a full suit to every lecture and seminar

Spoiler

Hey there, I go to Sheffield Hallam University and people tend to dress very casually. Most students wear tracksuits or leggings and a hoodie, but there isn't really a dress code, so you can wear whatever you want. Lectures tend to be pretty long so I'd say wear something you feel comfortable in.

I hope this helps. Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador

Hey @Anonymous to be honest no one really dresses up for University in the Uk if anything its mainly joggers and hoodies or jeans and hoodies. It whatever people feel comfortable in, so If you feel good in dressed up clothes you do that. University is a judgment free zone regarding clothing as people do express themselves through their clothes. I wear joggers and hoodies as I feel comfortable and ready to learn in this, but sometimes I can feel very professional and decide to wear trousers and a blouse its however I feel on the day. Hope this Helps!

Gurpej Kaur(Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending