The Student Room Group

What do people wear at a Cambridge interview?

I feel like everyone's lying saying to just dress casual even if that's jeans and a jumper. I'm scared of looking like a scruffy state-school student 🫠
Original post by TeaOnRice
I feel like everyone's lying saying to just dress casual even if that's jeans and a jumper. I'm scared of looking like a scruffy state-school student 🫠

A suit, with collar shirt, and maybe a tie if you can with black or brown shoes which are polished!!! 😀
Reply 2
They're not lying, plenty of people dress casual for interviews. It is quite possible the interviewer themselves will be in jeans and a jumper! If it would set your mind at ease to dress more smartly then go for it, but they really do not care. Especially if your interview is online, they wouldn't be able to see most of your outfit anyway.
Hi I'm a Natsci at cambridge
I wore a clean fleece? That was about the only change in my usual atire. While I know of some people that got all dressed up in suits and stuff, far more of us didn't.

It's really important that whatever you go in is comfortable for you. You need to be able to think mostly.

For some this means dressing up gets them in the right mindset. For others that meant wearing what we were comfortable in.
Original post by thegeek888
A suit, with collar shirt, and maybe a tie if you can with black or brown shoes which are polished!!! 😀

There is no obligation to wear a suit. Stop making things up.

Just wear whatever is comfortable, ideally your outfit is unmemorable.
Reply 5
I wire jeans and a casual shirt for my Oxon interview
Original post by melancollege
There is no obligation to wear a suit. Stop making things up.

Just wear whatever is comfortable, ideally your outfit is unmemorable.

A lot of Sixth Forms have a formal dress code of a black or navy suit and black or white shirt. So some applicants can wear a suit if they wish too.
Original post by thegeek888
A lot of Sixth Forms have a formal dress code of a black or navy suit and black or white shirt. So some applicants can wear a suit if they wish too.

I agree that they can wear a suit if they wish to. I said there is no obligation to wear a suit.
jeans and a pyjama top lol
Reply 9
I’m at Cambridge now and I wore a smartish jumper and jeans to my interview
They openly say just wear what you’re comfy in. There’s no point in dressing up for the sake of it as they aren’t assessing you on what you look like, just wear comfy clothes and do your best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending