The Student Room Group

Alleyns 16+ interview

I have an Alleyns interview coming up and I'm quite alien to the world of interviewing. What should I expect? What types of questions do they ask? Is there any way I could prepare? And how should I dress? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Original post by philippe.lp
I have an Alleyns interview coming up and I'm quite alien to the world of interviewing. What should I expect? What types of questions do they ask? Is there any way I could prepare? And how should I dress? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

***********LONG POST********
Hi so I have done two 16+ interviews so far and I can share with you what was asked to give you an idea, I didn't apply to Alleyns as I live in NW London so too far.
School Uniform is absolutely fine if you are at school on the day if not smart casual. If you have a black bottoms (can't go wrong with black) and it is cold so maybe a light coloured jumper or cardigan or shirt if you are feeling more formal and some decent clean shoes, I would avoid trainers. The best bet is to find out the sixth form dress code and dress similarly, does Alleyns have a smart or casual dress code?
I prepared by asking a few people to do through a mock interview and give feedback on answers, ideally people with different types of jobs, I asked my Mum (which was definitely the most difficult) who is a Pyschologist, my Gran who is a Scoial worker , my neighbour who works in PR, my Mum's friend who works in Management and my Mum's Friend who is a Teacher and I gave each different questions to ask and make sure you ask for feedback.
I recieved the results on 1st December for both so don't know the outcome yet.
#1 I had 3 Subject interviews and another with the headmistress and head of sixth form. #2 was just the head of HE and Careers and Head of Sixth form. I think the subject interviews are a lot more forgiving but the general interview you really want to be on the ball.
I was given a equation to do
I was asked to explain the function of liver
Why do you want to study the subjects you applied for?
What topics do you enjoy?
What subject and aspect of the subject are you most struggling with?
How have you taken your interest of the subject further than just your lessons? Listen to a relevant podcast or a book or magazine but you have to actually read it just in case they know it and want to ask further questions.
How would you deal with not understanding a topic?
What is your favourite book? Explain it The more obscure the better, the less likely they are to know it so it would be difficult for them to assess whether you understanding of the book is correct.
If you had one wish, what would you wish for?
How would your teachers describe you? (sometimes they use friends) Ask your (favourite) Teachers and Friends
They used a current affairs question so have a quick glance at the news for the few days before
Asked a question about feminism (was a girls school)
Do you feel the pressure to fit in? I think they are looking for if you are confident or bow to peer pressure
What appeals to you about our school? Facilities, academics, support for HE, say something specific to that school e.g a programme or facility, Sports or club you want to join/start, leadership opportunties
Why do you want to leave your current school? (Be careful with this one) Stuff like New Challenge, not as academic, not so many enrichment activities, if you are changing for mixed to single sex, class sizes, be around like-minded individuals (study focused)
What do you want to do in the future? Are you interested in applying to Oxbridge, medicine, Vet Med or Dentistry? Are you interested in University abroad? It is OK to say you are not quite sure if you are not, you can say with the support and resources the school provides you are excited to explore options until then you are doing what you enjoy.
What would you say is your greatest achievement? I mentioned representing my country in my sport. You could use an academic achievement but non-academic would be more interesting.
What do you do in your spare time? Do you participate in any hobbies/activities?
Where else are you applying? Make sure any schools you mention have similar ethos, else it looks like you are not interested in their school just a school with a good name.
The most important is Do you have any questions, make sure you have at least 2 or 3, make sure they are not questions they have addressed on the open day or on their website. I personally asked what do Sixth formers do during free periods, do they have to stay on site? How are external students intergrated with existing students? Are my subjects popular? Class sizes? How many teachers for each subjects? Do they participate in Competitions? Can anyone participate? Can we stay in school outside school hours, in the library or study areas? These questions could have been addressed previously at Alleyn's but it gives you an idea.
My Mum's Friend does interviews with prospective students A-Levels and she gave me some amazing pointers but the most important one was to personalise your answers, how does your studies link with and enrich your life? What life experience brought you to your choices? She said she gets bored sometimes as so many students come in with the same generic answers that they think we want to hear and then someone comes in and explains their story instead and it comes across as passionate, if you can fit that word passion in even better. If you have activities outside school mention them also as they also look for rounded students. Don't lie but stretch the truth by using experiences you have if they can be relevant.
Make sure you revisit their website to refresh your memory just in case that why our school question comes up.
Hope this helps, this is what I can recall although there was more. Try and relax, they are trying to find out about you as a person so just be yourself, your best self. I had my interviewers laughing but I am not really fazed by pressurised situations, that is why it is good to practice if you are nervous or shy.

GOOD LUCK honestly it will be over before you know it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending