The Student Room Group

21M How do I figure out what I want to do with my life?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I'll post it somewhere else if needed!

I've really been struggling this year to figure out what I want to do with my life, ever since I dropped out of university during my 2nd year of my computer science degree. During secondary school my grades were generally pretty great across the board, including in computer science which is the subject I enjoyed the most, which led me into studying Compsci at Uni. Though due to my time in uni I quickly came to realise I wouldn't suit career in computer science, combining that with my own going struggles with my mental health, I later dropped out and lost pretty much any passion I had for the subject.

Ever since I dropped out I've worked a retail part time job while I recovered from the pretty awful burnout I was experiencing. Though now I feel completely paralysed with anxiety when thinking about the future, I have no prospects besides a pretty awful part time job.

I have no passion, interest or knowledge on what career I'd like to do and I have no idea where I could even begin to discover that?! How am I supposed to figure out what kind of career I would enjoy?
This sounds obvious but - try things and see if you like them.

Do you enjoy your retail job? Which bits do you like and what don’t you like about it?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
This sounds obvious but - try things and see if you like them.

Do you enjoy your retail job? Which bits do you like and what don’t you like about it?

I'm not sure where or even how to start, so many jobs require previous experience or knowledge of the position/subject, it all seems very overwhelming.

I really don't enjoy it at all, I work as a home shopping picker and find it physically and emotionally exhausting (as you'd expect from any retail job haha)
Original post by CL2002
I'm not sure where or even how to start, so many jobs require previous experience or knowledge of the position/subject, it all seems very overwhelming.

I really don't enjoy it at all, I work as a home shopping picker and find it physically and emotionally exhausting (as you'd expect from any retail job haha)

Most jobs are going to be exhausting to some extent. It sounds like you’re not getting any interaction with customers so maybe see if there’s any opportunities to switch jobs at your current employer to something with more customer contact? Often those jobs will be less physical too (though still a long way from sedentary).

at the same time keep an eye out for entry level jobs in completely different types of work. I was always convinced I would hate an office job until I tried one (and office jobs vary massively depending on who you’re working with).

You’re really really young still - you don’t need to have all the answers or a detailed plan. Give yourself permission to just try things. Anything you hate is a learning experience to look for something different.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending