The Student Room Group

List of universities that do not penalise the lack of GCSEs?

Hello,

I would like to ask if there is a list of universities, esp. brick and mortar ones, that either do not require GCSEs or do not penalise the lack thereof in the application process?

I am trying to expand my university choices. I know Bath and LSE do not penalise applicants who do not have GCSEs as I had reached out to them weeks ago. They (non-verbatim) "review applications based on the available data, not based on what is not in the application". Although, with the competition for a spot, the GCSEs might as well be a soft(?) requirement. University of London seems to also not penalise the lack of GCSEs because of the existence of the "Overlapping Rule". How about the other universities?

I registered to four A Levels with an online provider, and I was predicted with A*A* in Maths and Further Maths. I do not have predicted grades in the other two subjects as I am yet to start my assignments and paper. I am currently weighing whether to revise and sit for GCSEs (potential timetable clash with my A Levels and potential inability to do my best sitting that many exams) or just apply to universities who are happy to consider me for entry with just A Levels.
Reply 1
As many international students don’t have GCSE’s or equivalents there are quite a few unis that don’t require them BUT, you would still have to prove your ability to study in English and basic numeracy whatever the degree. So if your A levels cover maths and you have an essay subject you should be alright. If not you may have to do something like the IELTS exam. If you contact the unis that interest you they will be able to confirm what qualifications as a minimum are necessary.
Depends on your circumstances and what it is that you want to do.

The Open University, obviously, has no entry requirements.

My husband is doing a BA Hons 3D Games Art course at Buckinghamshire New University, and he was accepted on just a portfolio
Original post by howquaint
Hello,

I would like to ask if there is a list of universities, esp. brick and mortar ones, that either do not require GCSEs or do not penalise the lack thereof in the application process?

I am trying to expand my university choices. I know Bath and LSE do not penalise applicants who do not have GCSEs as I had reached out to them weeks ago. They (non-verbatim) "review applications based on the available data, not based on what is not in the application". Although, with the competition for a spot, the GCSEs might as well be a soft(?) requirement. University of London seems to also not penalise the lack of GCSEs because of the existence of the "Overlapping Rule". How about the other universities?

I registered to four A Levels with an online provider, and I was predicted with A*A* in Maths and Further Maths. I do not have predicted grades in the other two subjects as I am yet to start my assignments and paper. I am currently weighing whether to revise and sit for GCSEs (potential timetable clash with my A Levels and potential inability to do my best sitting that many exams) or just apply to universities who are happy to consider me for entry with just A Levels.

Hi,

It really does depending on what career you would like to go for also. For instance, Nursing requires GCSE English and Maths or a level 2 equivalent, and Midwifery requires a science GCSE also as an industry requirement. Primary teaching has been watered down in terms of entry requirements now. What is it that you want to study?

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending