The Student Room Group

Audit Grad Schemes not with the Big 4

Hi there,
I am currently in second year at uni and want to go into audit. I want to do a grad scheme but after reading a lot about people's experiences at the Big 4, I was wondering if anyone could share their experience of audit from a non Big 4 company? Any information would be really appreciated, thank you!
Reply 1
I'm a third year ACA trainee working in audit for a mid sized firm (I qualify in November), and I think the experience I got is a lot more varied compared to people who have worked in the Big4, simply because you work on smaller clients with smaller budgets and so by the time you qualify you'll know an audit file inside out in each of its components, whilst we've got trainees who have transferred from Big4 and they've only done 1 or 2 sections.

The culture is still toxic af - they'll try and gaslight you into working as much unpaid overtime as possible, they only care about the quantity of your work rather than quality etc - but the good thing is because they're so short staffed and there isn't a queue of people waiting to take your place (unlike in the Big4) you can essentially tell them to **** off and do your contracted hours (as long as you don't actually care about getting a career in audit - which I don't see why any sane person would).
Reply 2
Original post by emptyfield
I'm a third year ACA trainee working in audit for a mid sized firm (I qualify in November), and I think the experience I got is a lot more varied compared to people who have worked in the Big4, simply because you work on smaller clients with smaller budgets and so by the time you qualify you'll know an audit file inside out in each of its components, whilst we've got trainees who have transferred from Big4 and they've only done 1 or 2 sections.

The culture is still toxic af - they'll try and gaslight you into working as much unpaid overtime as possible, they only care about the quantity of your work rather than quality etc - but the good thing is because they're so short staffed and there isn't a queue of people waiting to take your place (unlike in the Big4) you can essentially tell them to **** off and do your contracted hours (as long as you don't actually care about getting a career in audit - which I don't see why any sane person would).

Hi, thank you for your response, it has been really hard trying to find any information about non-big 4 companies. I want a career in audit because I liked the job but many people talk about disliking the work culture. Can I ask what you will be doing after you finish the ACA or any general advice around a job in audit? Thank you!
Original post by Briecat
Hi, thank you for your response, it has been really hard trying to find any information about non-big 4 companies. I want a career in audit because I liked the job but many people talk about disliking the work culture. Can I ask what you will be doing after you finish the ACA or any general advice around a job in audit? Thank you!

I will be applying for roles in industry, most likely working as a management accountant for a SME.

If you do want a career in audit, I doubt you'll have any issues as long as you pass your exams and you stick around. Most audit departments are short staffed and have a very high staff turnover so it is definitely a field in which there is a great scope for career progression.
Reply 4
Original post by emptyfield
I will be applying for roles in industry, most likely working as a management accountant for a SME.

If you do want a career in audit, I doubt you'll have any issues as long as you pass your exams and you stick around. Most audit departments are short staffed and have a very high staff turnover so it is definitely a field in which there is a great scope for career progression.

Thank you, that is really helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending