The Student Room Group

Very mature student...... Terrified!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ti a
Hi,
I need help pls, I've spent all year working full time and completing my access course and now I've finished and about to hand my notice in at a job I've had for nearly 20 years and I'm absolutely terrified....

I'm going to study diagnostic radiography, I know I need to do this change and start a new part of my life but really worried I won't fit in or will stand out like a sore thumb in the uni/on placement in West Yorkshire.

I'm sure there have been people in this situation before just after some honesty about how others found it before I completely lose my nerve!

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

There are loads of people who attend different courses later in life so please don't worry. Especially in the medical ad healthcare field alot of people will work for years and then realise that they want to do something in healthcare. I am sure you will fit in just fine.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Hi,
I need help pls, I've spent all year working full time and completing my access course and now I've finished and about to hand my notice in at a job I've had for nearly 20 years and I'm absolutely terrified....

Please don't lose your nerve! You have come so far, do not waste everything you have worked for to get this far. I went to university as an exceedingly mature student - I was 59 years old! I lived in halls the first year in a student flat with other mature students (none as mature as me admittedly), and then the next two years in a shared student house.

I can honestly say it was the best three years of my life. No-one treated me as an outsider. I was on the committee of three societies, a student ambassador and made some wonderful friends of all ages. Don't worry about standing out like a sore thumb, I certainly never felt I did. Take this opportunity, you will find people with who you will resonate, not all students are geniuses nor are they all party animals, most are just like the rest of us doing the best they can to be the best they can. Best of luck!
Reply 22
53 year old male starting an Animation BA - nervous but excited too.

Been working as a librarian in public and academic libraries for 30 years - always had a sideline in the Arts. It was a big hurdle handing in notice but felt empowering and exciting too!

Could potentially self fund but discovered am eligible for a loan and seems OK terms (Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert says think of it more as a 9% tax payable when your earnings go over 25k)

Mainly doing it for me to bring together my creative interests and get them to a professional level - if work comes from it then that would be bonus.... but main reason is that I can finally say I gave it a go!

Initially I was worried about the age range but think it will be a family cooperative vibe much as in the workplace - main focus is on the work - sharing knowledge - learning form each other as well as from tutors.

Thoughts and advice welcome, anyone been through a similar experience?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Ti a
Hi,

I'm going to study diagnostic radiography, I know I need to do this change and start a new part of my life but really worried I won't fit in or will stand out like a sore thumb in the uni/on placement in West Yorkshire.

I'm sure there have been people in this situation before just after some honesty about how others found it before I completely lose my nerve!

Thanks in advance!

@Ti_a

Hello!

It's natural to be a bit anxious about starting at University, I went back to University when I was about 33 which was a little daunting but I ended up being the youngest student on my distance learning masters. I have taught on an Access to HE program for ten years and some of our Health Science students go on to do radiography which is a very competitive area so well done on getting a place! It does tend to attract some older students, as due to the nature of competition, students with more life experience often do better at application stage. You will do great!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 24
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Ti a

That's great news that you're going to uni!
I would try not to worry about not fitting in. Everyone at university is so different, and I have met so many people of different ages and backgrounds. My best advice is to take it all in your stride and start getting excited about starting! I understand you'll be nervous, but everyone is in the same boat, and this is a great achievement so try your best to enjoy these new experiences.

I hope this helps, and that you have a good start to university!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Don’t worry it’s never too late. I jsut wanted to say how long did access course take you and what did you do it in. I want to do radiography at uni
Reply 25
Original post by jenkokie
Don’t worry it’s never too late. I jsut wanted to say how long did access course take you and what did you do it in. I want to do radiography at uni

Hi

That's good news, I took the medical science access course through learn direct, it took me about 20 months and I'm not going to lie, it was far harder than I expected it to be but having said that I learnt loads!

Having completed the course I feel like I know what to expect at uni and keys skills like structuring essays etc, what in trying to say is it's hard to complete an access course but all the info is building skills that you will need for the uni course. Well worth while.

I hope you do make the move 😁
Original post by jenkokie

Hey @jenkokie 👋

I did my access to HE Diploma in science and mine was a 1 year course in person at Suffolk college. It was an academic year so September to June. Mine was a full time course with teaching about 3 days per week so I did work part time at the same time as studying.

I went on to do biomedical science but there were other mature students on my course that went on to do adult/child/mental health nursing. A couple students applied for radiography, biochem, zoology, paramedic sciences.

I would advise enquiring about what modules are taught on the access course you are looking to apply for, as for radiography they do like you to have some experience with physics and there are some access courses that mainly focus on bio and chem.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 27
Hi there!

Reading this thread makes me think what do you guys consider a "very mature student." :biggrin:

I'm 50 and I will start a degree with a foundation year next month. When I was in my 20s I certainly thought that a 50 years old person was "very mature", and yet, here I am now, and I have no idea what "mature" is when it comes to deal with people. In some ways, I still feel a young lady, in other ways, I feel much older than 50. It's a fact that we may not be as good as we used to be in some aspects (I notice that I take longer to do some things, especially in maths), however, I also notice I can produce much richer material, I think this may be due to the experience life provides along the years, this is the main difference I feel. But I never saw myself as unable to blend in with other people despite their age. And that hasn't changed over the years.

Last year I decided to take English and Maths Higher GCSEs as an adult student. I was really terrified, not only because I was returning to the classroom after so many years, but also because English is not my first language and I thought my communication skills could hold me back, both in the subjects I was taking and the social interaction. I'm a fairly extroverted person, and what I found out is that I was able to connect with older students, younger students, some British, and some from other nationalities, it didn't really matter in fact. It all depends on our own efforts to try to interact with others and their own personality traits. Some would be very receptive and friendly while others may not that open-minded. But when you look back, this was already the case when we were younger, trying to find our peers in high school.

All this to say that we shouldn't be worried, as long as we try to fit in, we will eventually be able to find at least a handful of people we get along with really well, and that should be enough; I don't think this has nothing to do with their ages. Some of the friends I made while taking my GCSEs were less than half my age. :smile:
Original post by Ti a
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Hey,
Have you attended an open day yet? I promise when you step foot on campus you'll realise just how mixed student intakes are. I study Primary Education and we honestly have people of all ages and everyone just gets on and embraces each other. :smile:
Original post by CDIAS
Hi there!

Reading this thread makes me think what do you guys consider a "very mature student." :biggrin:

I'm 50 and I will start a degree with a foundation year next month. When I was in my 20s I certainly thought that a 50 years old person was "very mature", and yet, here I am now, and I have no idea what "mature" is when it comes to deal with people. In some ways, I still feel a young lady, in other ways, I feel much older than 50. It's a fact that we may not be as good as we used to be in some aspects (I notice that I take longer to do some things, especially in maths), however, I also notice I can produce much richer material, I think this may be due to the experience life provides along the years, this is the main difference I feel. But I never saw myself as unable to blend in with other people despite their age. And that hasn't changed over the years.

Last year I decided to take English and Maths Higher GCSEs as an adult student. I was really terrified, not only because I was returning to the classroom after so many years, but also because English is not my first language and I thought my communication skills could hold me back, both in the subjects I was taking and the social interaction. I'm a fairly extroverted person, and what I found out is that I was able to connect with older students, younger students, some British, and some from other nationalities, it didn't really matter in fact. It all depends on our own efforts to try to interact with others and their own personality traits. Some would be very receptive and friendly while others may not that open-minded. But when you look back, this was already the case when we were younger, trying to find our peers in high school.

All this to say that we shouldn't be worried, as long as we try to fit in, we will eventually be able to find at least a handful of people we get along with really well, and that should be enough; I don't think this has nothing to do with their ages. Some of the friends I made while taking my GCSEs were less than half my age. :smile:

Love hearing stuff like this, really inspiring! What degree and uni are you going to, hopefully mine as would love to meet you.

I always thought when I was younger, once your 50 you’re basically old as hell and life is over!

Well how untrue was that, 40 now and life is definitely not over!
Reply 30
I will take Psychology with a foundation year at the University of Sussex, in my case I'm self-employed and will combine studying and working.
If there is one thing we've got when we are "very mature students" is motivation. If we feed it, we will all be fine, and this will be a great time in our lives, just as it is in the young students' lives, just in a different way, we just need to put our efforts into it, both in creating social connections as in achieving our academic goals and hope for the best.
Life is just a continuum of happenings in different stages, this is just one more, let's take the best from it. I hope you enjoy your time at Uni! :smile:
Reply 31
I’m 46 and trying to go through clearing for adult nursing my biggest fear is leaving a secure good wage to go back to Uni! I am single and have mortgage so I will need to work a good number of hours too…. Unless I can convince my current role to allow me to go PT however until I have my place and the amount of ££ I’m allowed I won’t speak with them just yet on that part! I do have an old second job I can go back to (bar work) so I can earn minimum wage and take as many hours as I need… I’d need about 30-35hrs a week! So I’m still thinking is it the right choice! Something I’ve always wanted to do!
Reply 32
I'm not quite there yet, but just started Access to Radiography course in preparation to apply for Radiography at local uni for '25. I turn 42 next week and am already trying to plan down to the finest detail 😂

Been working in the NHS for a few years as a HCA, so have that to assist with application. Just need to figure out earning when I'm at uni, but I have time yet and surgery in the mean time too, so who knows how it will all pan out!

It does seem quite a few Radiography students are on the mature end though, which is good.

Also single and with a house to pay for. Oh to be one of the young ones again!
This thread is absolutely great. You're all exactly the same as myself; I did Access to HE in Science and absolutely loved every second of it. If you did well in Access then you will do fine in Uni as the skills required are very similar- I even approached Access as if it was University so was well prepared by the time I arrived there.

Just totally forget your age: it's just the number of times you have been around the sun in reality. You'll slot in amongst the rest of your respective cohorts no problem. There will be specific Uni groups for mature students (and parents) and it's such a diverse place, you'll slot in and find your niche.

I was genuinely excited to read the posts from those of you heading into healthcare. I have worked in healthcare for a fair time now myself and I've met a lot of people who made the jump later in life. I was told ages ago that life experience in healthcare is very valuable and I can't emphasise how true that is- at the end of the day it's a people business and patients seem to equate maturity with confidence or aptitude I think and maybe makes them feel safer, less afraid, be sure to leverage that to your advantage in the world of work.

Best wishes, I'm sure you will all flourish at Uni if you aren't already there. If you approach Uni as if it was your job you won't ever go far wrong.

If anyone needs any advice or wants to discuss anything mature-student wise, feel free to PM and I'll help any way I can.

E
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Ti a
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Hello.

Honestly, it is completely normal to be feeling like this, delving into a new adventure is scary because you do not know what to expect. But go all in. Because you do not what to expect and that is the exciting part. It may be the best thing to happen for you. And do not worry about not fitting in. the time will come, and you may even meet new friends who share the same interests as you. As long as you put yourself out there and try new things.

All the best,
Hassa, Student Ambassador Liverpool Hope University.
Reply 35
Hi,

I'm in my 40s and heading back to uni this autumn. Thanks for posting this and showing me that I'm not on my own.

H
Original post by Oulu
Hi,
I'm in my 40s and heading back to uni this autumn. Thanks for posting this and showing me that I'm not on my own.
H
Hey @Oulu 👋

You're not alone! Welcome to the club. What are you going to be studying?

Best wishes
Reply 37
Original post by Ti a
Hi,
Thanks in advance!
First of all, congratulations with taking the leap!

I did the same a little under 2 years ago, went back into education at 31 to study Electrical and Electronic Engineering, left a job of 10 years.

Best decision I made, you’ll meet lots of different people at different stages in their lives. I did have a little imposter syndrome to start with, but that’s certainly went away after a few weeks.

Hope this helps!
Reply 38
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey @Oulu 👋
You're not alone! Welcome to the club. What are you going to be studying?
Best wishes
Optometry. I'm currently a nurse so it's a bit of a career change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending