The Student Room Group

I'm moving - Should I give my family a month's notice or a week's notice?

I currently live on my own in a town I have known for 16 years and I am sick and tired of this place and decided it's time for a fresh start. I managed to find a location far away and it's an area I like no one in my immediate family drives so it would be 3 hours via public transport.

My family situation right now isn't that great, I love my family but I dread having to see them. I know as soon as I see them there be arguments and other issues, I do feel my family is a dysfunctional family.

My family are very judgemental, even though I live alone I feel like my family thinks I'll never be fully independent. When they come round to mine, they always moan that the place is dirty, it's not, I clean every single day although I know I don't have to do this every time before it gets to the 1st of a new month I like to do a two day deep clean to freshen up for the next month, it's something I've always done and I'll probably continue to do. They think I'm in debt even though I pay all my bills on time without fail.

The new location I'll be moving to I picked as it's three hours away via public transport, I know my family can't afford the transport costs so if they wanted to see me I would have to come up. I'm not going to lie I do prefer work over family due to my current family situation. My current plan is to work two days, uni three days, volunteer one day and study day so my week will be filled up quite a lot.

I'm 50/50 on if I should tell them now or give them a week notice on the week I'm moving as I feel that they will be moaning and having ago at me for moving "far" away, and say I won't be able to afford the moving costs and I can't do it on my own, I have already booked the move months in advance and I've paid for it.

I'd love to hear people's opinions and viewpoints to make a final decision as I'm 50/50.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending