The Student Room Group

Should I leave my Grad Scheme after 5 months for another?

I have just started my graduate scheme not long ago, which provides me with industry experience and training/support to gain the ACA (a mid-market firm, top 10 in the UK). I have been contacted by a firm in the Big4 offering me a place in the same type of grad scheme but to start in 6 months time. The 6 months isn't an issue, they pay nearly 10% more with less working hours, allow me to take my ACA exemptions (5 or 6) and would be better long term.

I am wondering if deciding to change will have any adverse effects? Is it possible for me to accept and stay at my current company for a few more months (for experience/money) and then leave a month or 2 prior to my start date? Will the firm giving me the offer rescind it upon learning I'm currently on another grad scheme?

I applied to the Big4 role around 2 months prior to starting this current one and do want to move.

Any help?
Reply 1
Yes I would personally move if I were you, in todays market the brand name matters a lot you’ll see companies specially stating ACA from big 4, you’ll learn the same things but it’s about the internal moves you can also take but most importantly the brand name big 4 ACA qualified is better than ACA at mid market
Reply 2
I am in a similar position (although in a different field). I plan to change graduate schemes in september and will not be telling my current employer until later on. I would double check there are no cost implications with the training/qualification done at your current company but other than that, I think go for it
Reply 3
I seriously doubt you would work 10% fewer hours in big4. Might be a good move in any case.
the move will be fine! I know of quite a few colleagues that left their grad schemes mid-way to join mine. Only complication may be if your current company are sponsoring your ACA! You may be required to pay back a sum of money to return their investment into your qualification. Check your contract, and don't mention anything about leaving until you have to within your notice period!
Reply 5
Original post by zoro151
Yes I would personally move if I were you, in todays market the brand name matters a lot you’ll see companies specially stating ACA from big 4, you’ll learn the same things but it’s about the internal moves you can also take but most importantly the brand name big 4 ACA qualified is better than ACA at mid market

Definitely something to consider, in every metric from my view makes the move the obvious choice.
Reply 6
Original post by 10rbailey
I am in a similar position (although in a different field). I plan to change graduate schemes in september and will not be telling my current employer until later on. I would double check there are no cost implications with the training/qualification done at your current company but other than that, I think go for it

I don’t see how the cost implication, if any, would exceed the salary that they would’ve paid me over the short time I’m here. I’m a big saver right now especially since I have near no bills to pay (didn’t need to move out).
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
I seriously doubt you would work 10% fewer hours in big4. Might be a good move in any case.

Yeah, definitely will have to put in more hours but I reviewed the contract offer and it seems they would pay overtime (my current firm doesn’t but instead reimburses us for the hours of overtime we put in by giving us time off in equivalent, think it’s a system to avoid paying higher overtime rates).
Reply 8
Original post by gradgirl123
the move will be fine! I know of quite a few colleagues that left their grad schemes mid-way to join mine. Only complication may be if your current company are sponsoring your ACA! You may be required to pay back a sum of money to return their investment into your qualification. Check your contract, and don't mention anything about leaving until you have to within your notice period!

Ah! Was considering telling my firm that I plan on leaving in 5 months in hopes of getting to waive off doing any exams until then (they don’t let me take exemptions but the other firm does). Likely will let them know in time to get a month break before starting. One bad thing is that I’ll have to go through the whole onboarding and training process again which is the worst, worth it in the long run.

How was your colleagues experience with leaving their previous grad scheme mid way?

At the new firm, would I have to retake the exams I already have done now? Specifically ones that I don’t have exemption in but completed before on the previous grad scheme.

And is there anything else I should know?
Original post by D4C
Ah! Was considering telling my firm that I plan on leaving in 5 months in hopes of getting to waive off doing any exams until then (they don’t let me take exemptions but the other firm does). Likely will let them know in time to get a month break before starting. One bad thing is that I’ll have to go through the whole onboarding and training process again which is the worst, worth it in the long run.

How was your colleagues experience with leaving their previous grad scheme mid way?

At the new firm, would I have to retake the exams I already have done now? Specifically ones that I don’t have exemption in but completed before on the previous grad scheme.

And is there anything else I should know?

If you tell your firm now, they will say goodbye now. Why would they continue to pay you when you don't want to work for them? You don't have 2 year's employment, you have no protection, they can get rid for ay reason except a protected characteristic.

Read your contract, understand any amortisation requirements (obligation to pay back training costs if you don't work for a certain duration afterwards) and understand your notice period, give notice exactly according to that.
Personally I would especially if you plan to be in the industry a long time
Reply 11
Original post by threeportdrift
If you tell your firm now, they will say goodbye now. Why would they continue to pay you when you don't want to work for them? You don't have 2 year's employment, you have no protection, they can get rid for ay reason except a protected characteristic.

Read your contract, understand any amortisation requirements (obligation to pay back training costs if you don't work for a certain duration afterwards) and understand your notice period, give notice exactly according to that.

Ah I see. I did not know about the 2 year's employment protection. Just did a quick read now and I fully understand, I should let them know within the notice period that I am happy with to leave in.

Need to give a read of my contract for amortisation requirements.

Am I correct to assume that any exams I have taken for my professional qualification while at my current firm will carry over to my next one (they both offer the same qualification)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending