The Student Room Group

Uni Entrance Exam

hi, I was thinking applying for Cambridge's economics course but I don't study economics alevel (my levels are, maths, further maths, physics and chemistry) so would I be at a disadvantage and what would I have to do to prepare for the entrance exam?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by helloo7
but I don't study economics alevel (my levels are, maths, further maths, physics and chemistry) s

You dont need Economics to do Economics at Uni.
Maths are actually what you need.
Original post by helloo7
hi, I was thinking applying for Cambridge's economics course but I don't study economics alevel (my levels are, maths, further maths, physics and chemistry) so would I be at a disadvantage and what would I have to do to prepare for the entrance exam?

There is no 'entrance exam'. There is a an admissions assessment, but the results of this only form one part of your application, and is considered alongside other factors like your A levels and interview.

As @McGinger says, you don't need to have studied economics to take it at university. Your A levels are fine, particularly given that you're taking FM.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
There is no 'entrance exam'. There is a an admissions assessment, but the results of this only form one part of your application, and is considered alongside other factors like your A levels and interview.

As @McGinger says, you don't need to have studied economics to take it at university. Your A levels are fine, particularly given that you're taking FM.

Oh, that makes me feel much better as someone said to me that there was an entrance exam which is very major. Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
You dont need Economics to do Economics at Uni.
Maths are actually what you need.

That's great, is that for most unis? Thank you
Original post by helloo7
Oh, that makes me feel much better as someone said to me that there was an entrance exam which is very major. Thank you

I'm afraid you'll find lots of misinformation on the internet about Oxbridge admissions. Best to stick to published resources by the universities themselves and experienced voices here on TSR. :smile:

The admissions assessment is important, yes - but still only one part of a much wider application.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
I'm afraid you'll find lots of misinformation on the internet about Oxbridge admissions. Best to stick to published resources by the universities themselves and experienced voices here on TSR. :smile:

The admissions assessment is important, yes - but still only one part of a much wider application.

Yes exactly, I've seen so much different information about admissions and it's quite confusing. Thank you so much for your help. If I need more info I'll defo ask on TSR again! Thanks!!
Original post by helloo7
Yes exactly, I've seen so much different information about admissions and it's quite confusing. Thank you so much for your help. If I need more info I'll defo ask on TSR again! Thanks!!

Great - no problem :smile:
Hi, my friend just got into Cambridge studying the exact same subjects as you. Although econ is useful it isn’t necessary- just make sure to do as much extra reading as possible!
Reply 10
Original post by stupidsugarsnap
Hi, my friend just got into Cambridge studying the exact same subjects as you. Although econ is useful it isn’t necessary- just make sure to do as much extra reading as possible!

That's amazing, well done!! Would you mind sharing some important tips through the whole process?
And what extra reading would you recommend?
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending