The Student Room Group

Peterhouse vs Trinity Hall

Hi all,

I am currently planning on applying to Cambridge to study Law. I am deciding upon a college and have landed on two main contenders - Peterhouse and Trinity Hall. However, I am struggling to choose between the two. I am leaning towards TH as I would prefer a higher proportion of state school students, but I would love to hear other peoples' perspectives on this as I have not come to any conclusions. I am not concerned with wealth or the academic ranking of individual colleges.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

I am currently planning on applying to Cambridge to study Law. I am deciding upon a college and have landed on two main contenders - Peterhouse and Trinity Hall. However, I am struggling to choose between the two. I am leaning towards TH as I would prefer a higher proportion of state school students, but I would love to hear other peoples' perspectives on this as I have not come to any conclusions. I am not concerned with wealth or the academic ranking of individual colleges.

The Peterhouse admissions staff are really great, so you should have a good application experience if you go with them.

I also remember hearing that there were some issues with sexual assault in Trinity Hall and the complaints not being heard. There was a staff change, but it might be worth avoiding especially if you’re female (I am, so my mum said I wasn’t allowed to apply there).

Full disclosure: I applied to Peterhouse(so I know a lot about them), got pooled but rejected. I also got 3 A*s and an unconditional offer from the 2nd best uni for subject, which makes me only mildly annoyed at them.
Reply 2
Original post by Marichatforever

I also remember hearing that there were some issues with sexual assault in Trinity Hall and the complaints not being heard. There was a staff change, but it might be worth avoiding especially if you’re female (I am, so my mum said I wasn’t allowed to apply there).

There were several "events" that were investigated dating back to 2015 and 2018, but there have been numerous staff changes (as well as procedural changes too) since the investigation commenced in 2020,not to mention a detailed external assessment of the situation by a respected QC, so I wouldn't consider that to be a "reason to avoid" Trinity Hall at the present.

If you're particularly interested in some of the external QC's findings, they can be found here: https://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/report-for-publication-and-college-response/
Original post by davros
There were several "events" that were investigated dating back to 2015 and 2018, but there have been numerous staff changes (as well as procedural changes too) since the investigation commenced in 2020,not to mention a detailed external assessment of the situation by a respected QC, so I wouldn't consider that to be a "reason to avoid" Trinity Hall at the present.

If you're particularly interested in some of the external QC's findings, they can be found here: https://www.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/report-for-publication-and-college-response/

Okay. The main reason I did end up choosing Peterhouse over Trinity Hall (having visited both at the open day) was the Peterhouse dear garden and that they didn’t require written work for my subject (I didn’t have any written work because that was most of what was cut due to COVID in Scotland).

So if the original poster can, I’d recommend doing a tour of both colleges at the September open days to help you choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending