The Student Room Group

Advice on finding work placement year as a disabled student

Hi, I'm due to go on a placement year next year and need to begin hunting for placements. I've had some advice, like to just apply to as many as possible because most of them will get denied. A professional advised me to stay away from the golden quarter up to Christmas when work is busiest. However, these aren't the main problems I face. A range of people have said that if they can't meet you REASONABLE needs during interview phrases, they aren't worth working with anyway.

What advice would you give for someone who'd disabled finding a placement? I'm autistic and always have anxiety and am worried I'll find somewhere I hate.

I have one or two places that I really really want but I'm fully aware that the chances of me getting them are very low because they're highly wanted. Are there any websites that show what placements are better for disabled people/have a better work culture for them? Is there any companies that you would avoid as they have a bad reputation with disabled people?

I don't expect to be completely accommodated but I also don't know where to start. I don't want to pick someone who doesn't care about at least trying to have reasonable adjustments and burning out a week into the placement. The sector I'm going into is anything from graphic design, social media, etc. I'm doing a graphic design degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending