The Student Room Group

behind on placement hours

I’m coming to the end of my first year of adult nursing with just a few weeks left.
I’m currently behind on hours around 165 i think which isn’t great considering it’s only first year.
75 hours of which weren’t my fault as i had a bad experience on my first day of a placement and it took 2 weeks for meetings to be put into place to sort this out so i could return.
the other half are sick days.
we do 175 hours extra over three year which equates to 58 hours a year leeway so in reality i’m around 100 down.
is there anyway to make this up? like maybe doing written work?
i’ve finished my last placement now so i have no opportunity to do anymore hours on that.
I don’t want to wait till third year as no doubt by then my hours owed would have doubled.
has anyone got any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by studentnurse01
I’m coming to the end of my first year of adult nursing with just a few weeks left.
I’m currently behind on hours around 165 i think which isn’t great considering it’s only first year.
75 hours of which weren’t my fault as i had a bad experience on my first day of a placement and it took 2 weeks for meetings to be put into place to sort this out so i could return.
the other half are sick days.
we do 175 hours extra over three year which equates to 58 hours a year leeway so in reality i’m around 100 down.
is there anyway to make this up? like maybe doing written work?
i’ve finished my last placement now so i have no opportunity to do anymore hours on that.
I don’t want to wait till third year as no doubt by then my hours owed would have doubled.
has anyone got any advice?

Registered nurse here.

You're only just finishing 1st year. You don't - can't - know for definite that you'll end up owing more hours over the next 2 years.
Practice hours are exactly that: practice, not theory or written work. You'll need to complete 2300 hours on placement in total, there isn't any leeway on that.

Try not to miss any more placement - pick up the occasional extra half day where possible (my students do this if they're short on hours).
If it gets that you've passed but are short on hours, universities tend to give students retrieval placements to make up the hours that they're short of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending