The Student Room Group

Withdrawing Application & Reapplying for Same course in clearing

Currently, I hold a deferred offer for a course at a university that I dont mind going to, but I have a new application for clearing 2023, to just try and see if I have any chances at getting to a better university during clearing. If I end up not finding a better course/uni, will I be able to apply through clearing back to the same course at the same uni, I originally deferred? (They’re usually always in clearing so it’s not an issue about whether they have any spaces or not left)
Original post by nia_03_s
Currently, I hold a deferred offer for a course at a university that I dont mind going to, but I have a new application for clearing 2023, to just try and see if I have any chances at getting to a better university during clearing. If I end up not finding a better course/uni, will I be able to apply through clearing back to the same course at the same uni, I originally deferred? (They’re usually always in clearing so it’s not an issue about whether they have any spaces or not left)

Hey @nia_03_s,

So you don't have to let go of your deferred offer to call up Universities and apply to them via Clearing - the only time you will need to let go of that offer is if you do decide to go to a university you have a successful verbal Clearing offer from, at which point you'll need to contact your original university to release you from their unconditional deferred offer. Basically - you can take a look at what's on offer and apply for courses via Clearing and keep that deferred offer, you just can't confirm any verbal Clearing offers if you've got an firm offer elsewhere!

Hope that helps - best of luck with Clearing! I hope you find the course you're looking for :biggrin:
Becky
University of Salford Rep
Reply 2
Hi thanks for your reply!
I was told before if the offer was from last year (I applied in 2022 and deferred till 2023) that I would need to make a new application and let go of my previous offer to try through 2023 clearing?
(edited 9 months ago)
(Original post by nia_03_s)Hi thanks for your reply!
I was told before if the offer was from last year (I applied in 2022 and deferred till 2023) that I would need to make a new application and let go of my previous offer to try through 2023 clearing?

Yes that is correct. You would have to give up your offer and take your chance whether the university will accept you if you find nothing better. Please be aware that the very top universities do not enter clearing and several others will have limited courses in it.
Original post by nia_03_s
Hi thanks for your reply!

As above - you were told correctly. I'm afraid the rep from Salford doesn't understand the process for deferred applicants wanting to use Clearing.

Have you spoken to your former deferred university to ask if they'd normally honour a deferred offer if you wanted to go back to them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending