The Student Room Group

How Exactly clearing works

Positing for the child (I will change profile !)

a. Is it first come first serve basis?
b. Is it date lined. (So prospects apply as in normal case and then the unis. select on certain dates).

My child's expected grades are 2 higher than the predicted ones so we hope to have better university for her.

My previous understanding was that you switch on Result date after getting in principle agreement from a uni. you would like to switch to. That would still be the case in b. but not in a.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sgcheam

b. Is it date lined. (So prospects apply as in normal case and then the unis. select on certain dates).

My child's expected grades are 2 higher than the predicted ones so we hope to have better university for her.

My previous understanding was that you switch on result date after getting in principle agreement from a uni. you would like to switch to. That would still be the case in b. but not in a.

Hi there

Current Cardiff Uni student here!

I'm not too sure what exactly you mean by option b. but I can try to give you some more information about clearing. Firstly, clearing is open from 5th July until 17th October but only if the course they want to go on still has places. What does your daughter want to study and where?

As far as I'm aware, it depends on if the courses have places rather than being first come first served. You can read more on the UCAS website.

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by Sgcheam

My previous understanding was that you switch on Result date after getting in principle agreement from a uni. you would like to switch to. That would still be the case in b. but not in a.

Does your daughter have a firm choice on UCAS?
What results is your daughter waiting for?

quick guide to clearing

The above is the process if an applicant is IN clearing. If an applicant is placed at a university or waiting for a university to confirm their place then there's extra steps
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Does your daughter have a firm choice on UCAS?
What results is your daughter waiting for?

quick guide to clearing

The above is the process if an applicant is IN clearing. If an applicant is placed at a university or waiting for a university to confirm their place then there's extra steps

She has confirmed offer based on and condition on predicted grades. She expect 2 higher grades.

So for her options are either a gap year, she is not keen on this, or if a preferred uni. but with higher grade requirement becomes available in clearing then she would like to be considered. The concern is someone might swap before result day and the clearing opening may be withdrawn / closes by the uni.

Her current offer is good uni. so we do not want to swap before result day.

Hope this is clearer.
Original post by Sgcheam
She has confirmed offer based on and condition on predicted grades. She expect 2 higher grades.

So for her options are either a gap year, she is not keen on this, or if a preferred uni. but with higher grade requirement becomes available in clearing then she would like to be considered. The concern is someone might swap before result day and the clearing opening may be withdrawn / closes by the uni.

Hope this is clearer.

Which qualifications is she waiting for results for
Reply 5
Original post by Sgcheam

Hey! To my knowledge it is first come first serve basis hence why unis urge you to call/ apply ASAP. Also why Scottish Uni’s tend to run out of places by the time English students get their A-Levels as Scottish students get their results a week prior. And I do believe that if you haven’t ‘released yourself’ from your current offer, a university is very unlikely to give you any sort of written offer or hold your place.
Hope that helps!
Original post by Sgcheam

You can only enter clearing if you hold no offers. There is no swapping courses. You first have to give up your current offer ie decline it. Then you will automatically be entered into clearing. At that stage you ring around the universities you are interested (who are in clearing). The university will decide whether or not to offer you a place. Then you formally apply later in the day when you decide which university you intend studying at.

Not every university will be in clearing and not all courses will be either. Some universities will have small numbers others many. Some courses will close very soon. As an example some courses may close at 10am if they are full whilst others may be open for weeks.

I dont know where your daughter intends applying for in clearing but in practice there will be very few places, if any at all, in places like Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Durham, St Andrews, Bristol or Ednburgh. To help you here is an article showing what was available in clearing last year.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=451e15312ba5234dJmltdHM9MTY4ODQyODgwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTUxNw&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=universities+in+clearing+2022&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGltZXNoaWdoZXJlZHVjYXRpb24uY29tL3N0dWRlbnQvYWR2aWNlL2NsZWFyaW5nLTIwMjItdWstdW5pdmVyc2l0aWVzLWNvdXJzZXMtc3RpbGwtYXZhaWxhYmxlIzp-OnRleHQ9QURWRVJUSVNFTUVOVCUyMCUyMCUyMFVLJTIwUmFuayUyMDIwMjIlMjAlMjAsaW5jbHVkaW5nJTIwY2hlbWlzdHJ5JTIwLi4uJTIwJTIwMjAlMjBtb3JlJTIwcm93cyUyMA&ntb=1
Original post by Sgcheam

Hope this is clearer.

Well she would need to decline all places and then phonic the “better unis” provided they have places on the course the times newspaper usually has the clearing listing’s on results day so it would be worth looking there before you do anything and bear in mind when she is going through the clearing process she won’t have an offer and accommodation may be all gone.

Just out of interest why isn’t your daughter posting this instead of you?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by jonathanemptage
Just out of interest why isn’t your daughter posting this instead of you?

She is not active in social media not in forums
Original post by Sgcheam

Hope this is clearer.

can you confirm which qualifications your daughter is waiting for?
A levels, international A levels, IB diploma....something else.

When and how her universities will receive her results will change the timing and her possible options.
Original post by Sgcheam

Hi there!

Thanks for your message.

Clearing is how universities and colleges fill any places they still have on their courses. It is also a great opportunity for you to:

- Change your mind about where you want to study, and which course;
- Find a place at university if: you have missed your grades, not received an offer you wanted, or if you already hold your qualifications and have decided to apply directly to University;
- Give university a go.

This year, Clearing opens from 5th July and runs until 17th October 2023. It’s worth remembering that while UCAS closes Clearing officially on 17th October, many universities may close earlier depending on when their courses start. Please make sure to check with the universities and colleges beforehand to find out more about this. At Oxford Brookes, Clearing will open on 5th July and run until the end of September.

You can apply for a course using Clearing if
1) you’re not already holding an offer from a university or college, and
2) the course still has places.
Make sure to check with the university or college to find out more about which courses still have vacancies.

More specifically, you can use Clearing if:
- you’re applying after 30th June
- you didn’t receive any offers (or none you wanted to accept)
- you didn’t meet the conditions of your offers, such as meeting your grades requirement
- you’ve paid the multiple choice application fee of £26.50
- you’ve declined your firm place using the ‘decline my place’ button in your application

I hope this helps! This link may be helpful if you have additional questions: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/clearing-and-results-day/what-clearing

Matilde
Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University
Reply 11
do we know how many vacancies are available for a subject when a university comes to clearing?
To the best of my knowledge it isnt released anywhere. @PQ Do you know of any list

Original post by pushpakavita
do we know how many vacancies are available for a subject when a university comes to clearing?

That's not publicly available

A course is either Open or Closed to applications.
Reply 14
that is not very helpful when they dont publicise the number of vacancies.

It isnt that easy. They dont get results until the weekend before A level results days they then work through them to decide who to accept so it isnt until very close to the day the university themselves will know. There is an embargo until the morning of results day so the only time they could possibly do that is early morning on results day. Someboby would have to collate all the information and as soon as they release it then it would be out of date. I think it was QMUL last year had Law in clearing but had filled all spaces by 10am.
Reply 16
Original post by swanseajack1
It isnt that easy. They dont get results until the weekend before A level results days they then work through them to decide who to accept so it isnt until very close to the day the university themselves will know. There is an embargo until the morning of results day so the only time they could possibly do that is early morning on results day. Someboby would have to collate all the information and as soon as they release it then it would be out of date. I think it was QMUL last year had Law in clearing but had filled all spaces by 10am.

Does anyone know about Early clearing and how it works?
Also does my child need to have her results if she were to apply during early clearing.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Sgcheam
Also does my child need to have her results if she were to apply during early clearing.

She would need to have her results and rejected any offers she had. Clearing is ucas process of matching spare places with students who dont have them
Original post by Sgcheam

Yes I know lots about early clearing. I have been processing early clearing applications all day.

to help you I need you to answer my question about the type of qualification results that your daughter is waiting for.
Original post by Kavita75

Why?
Whether they have 500 or 5 vacancies doesn’t matter when you only need one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending