The Student Room Group

Law Life

I have realised I got carried away with my part-timme job and other activitis, and that my natural intellect was not enough a little too late. I recently got my 2nd year university grades and I finished with a 2:2. I know I can easily get a 1st on my third year, however ot attain an average of 1st OVERALL I would have to obtain 76% on my third year (impossible so I would need 78). Despite that, I got what I deserved. Now its time to apply for vacation schemes and worry about training contracts, as my third year encroaches. I am worried that my second year grades will heavily impact my application process. I finished my first year with an average of 69%, but that plays no role into my overall degree. I was wondering if anyone has any words of advice, or affirmation that would be of help as I am starting to get stressed as I would not want to end up unprepared for the post-university life. I am currently looking at many applications for vacation schemes, as well as trying to find ways that could help me network and improve my CV. Any type of comment would be heavily appreciated <3 and best of luck to my fellow course buddies.
@Javidkhv

It's great that you can see how your results this year may have been affected by your part-time job and other activities. This knowledge will help you to make adjustments for third year.

You are yet complete to complete your final year, so give it all you've got!

It's great that you are looking at other ways to give yourself the extra factor. Apply for what you can, but try not to get too stressed! The most important thing is that you finish your last year well.

If there's any way that you can be planning ahead for third year, then see if you can do some reading or prep, but make sure you enjoy your summer.
You want to go into third year, energised, fresh and raring to go!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Javidkhv
I have realised I got carried away with my part-timme job and other activitis, and that my natural intellect was not enough a little too late. I recently got my 2nd year university grades and I finished with a 2:2. I know I can easily get a 1st on my third year, however ot attain an average of 1st OVERALL I would have to obtain 76% on my third year (impossible so I would need 78). Despite that, I got what I deserved. Now its time to apply for vacation schemes and worry about training contracts, as my third year encroaches. I am worried that my second year grades will heavily impact my application process. I finished my first year with an average of 69%, but that plays no role into my overall degree. I was wondering if anyone has any words of advice, or affirmation that would be of help as I am starting to get stressed as I would not want to end up unprepared for the post-university life. I am currently looking at many applications for vacation schemes, as well as trying to find ways that could help me network and improve my CV. Any type of comment would be heavily appreciated <3 and best of luck to my fellow course buddies.

Hi @Javidkhv!

I wouldn't worry too much about your second year grades, it is very hard trying to balance university with necessities such as part time jobs and often employers are sympathetic to this. Seeing as your third year hasn't happened yet, I would say just give it everything you have got and see where it lands you (you may very well achieve that 76/78 you need!). I know that your first year grades won't help with your overall grade, however, they are not redundant. I would put it down on your CV so that employers can see what you achieved, just because it hasn't impacted your end result doesn't mean it is not an important indicator of what you can achieve. :smile:

I think that boosting your CV in other ways is such a great idea and really shows both commitment and initiative. Applying to vacation schemes, pro-bono opportunities or even doing little things such as attending free-lectures by firms will really help you. However, it is important that you don't make the same mistake in your third year but instead of focusing too much on part-time work, you focus too much on extracurricular activities!

Personally, I don't think you have too much to worry about and now you have learnt from your mistakes you can make your third year a really good one! Just remember to relax and have fun at the same time :smile:

Sophie
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending