The Student Room Group

Royal Holloway or Exeter for Law

Currently, I hold an unconditional offer from both RH and Exeter; originally I planned to firm Exeter.

However after visiting the campus during an open day, I realised that I do not fit in at all the general populas of the students. I have not personally visited RH yet but I am from London and have heard good things about the campus, but of course it does not share the same academic reputation as Exeter. I'm torn between the two.

Any advice would help, thanks!
Original post by Sumraketti
Currently, I hold an unconditional offer from both RH and Exeter; originally I planned to firm Exeter.
However after visiting the campus during an open day, I realised that I do not fit in at all the general populas of the students. I have not personally visited RH yet but I am from London and have heard good things about the campus, but of course it does not share the same academic reputation as Exeter. I'm torn between the two.

I'd suggest going with Exeter as the reputation and teaching quality is miles better. There are thousands of people also studying there so you will find your people over time. Exeter also has a society called the 93% club which holds different events for students who are state-school educated. This could be a good way to make friends.

Assuming that you also want to practice law after uni, you'll have to be around people from different backgrounds to you all your working life. Law in particular is dominated by people from affluent backgrounds, so university is a great chance to be exposed/adjust to this.
Reply 2

It depends on what your career ambitions are.

I understand that you felt like an outsider after visiting Exeter, and this is a key thing to pick up on. If you aren't happy at the university you're at, then you won't thrive. Exeter quite well known for it's lack of diversity amongst it's student population, in comparison to other Russell Group universities, so this is a completely valid thing to worry about. However, if your aim is to get into a more competitive field of law, such as commercial law, then going to a higher ranked university and a Russell Group may significantly boost your chances, especially if you want to work in a city or MC firm. If this is not your aim, then I would look more into Rhul and how reputable it is for the area or areas of law that you're interested in. In all honesty, as a POC, I wouldn't even dream of looking at Exeter, despite it's reputation as a good school, purely for the lack of diversity. This however, may be different for you, so I would definitely not just put all your eggs in one basket and try to visit Rhul before you make a decision.

Good luck in your decision making and I wish you all the best!

Another thing to remember is that an Exeter offer is a rare opportunity. Worst case scenario, if you were to firm it and then hate it, you could most likely call up Royal Holloway and I imagine they would allow you to move to their university. The reverse cannot be said for Exeter. If you don't take the offer, you may spend your whole life wondering what life would be like if you did. At least give it a chance and find out, as you don't have to stay if you don't like it

Hi there,

We're delighted that you're interested in learning more about Law at Royal Holloway, University of London.

Our Department of Law and Criminology has a reputation for high quality research and teaching. Our LLB Law degree is for anyone looking to start a career in law, whether as a barrister or a solicitor, it is also for those who are interested in the legal system and the ways in which laws are made and upheld. You'll be equipped with a wide range of transferable skills which are highly sought after by employers in a wide variety of fields. You can find out more about our LLB Law course here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/undergraduate/law-and-criminology/law/ including the entry requirements and course content.

In terms of facilities, our campus is one of the most beautiful in the world with numerous teaching and study spaces, bars and cafés, high-quality accommodation, and sports facilities. Visit our campus and get a real feel for student life at one of our Open Days. You can find out more information on this page: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/visit-royal-holloway/open-days/

Get answers to the questions that matter to you by chatting with our students and staff! You can chat to a current Law student to find out what life is really like at Royal Holloway: www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat and sign up for more information about us here: https://royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/sign-up-for-more-information/

I hope you find the above useful!

Best wishes,

Royal Holloway, University of London Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending