The Student Room Group

Do I count as an estranged student?

Hello,

I am a student who will apply this October for the year of 2024, but I wasn't too sure about what I should apply as in the UCAS application when it said if I was an estranged student or not.

I personally have the situation of completely having no contact with my father's side of the family, as well as my father himself too, for almost a decade now. He left which put a huge financial and emotional burden on me and my mom, which took a huge hit on both of our mental health. I still live with my mom and siblings but we are barely getting by each month, since she is on benefits and is working a part time job too. My mother's side are all dead due to a civil war too so I literally have 0 family members (no family network) except my mother herself.

I was hoping to get some guidance on this topic, so I can't wait to hear for what you guys have to say on this.

Also, if you are estranged, what difference does this make to the application process and your likelihood of getting picked?

Thank you.

FYI: I am going to be 19 at the time of enrollment, and I am the first person in my family to go to University.
Estranged means no contact at all with either parent. Essentially orphaned even though your parents aren’t dead.

If you live with your mum then you’re not estranged.
Reply 2
You live with your mother - you are not estranged.

However, you may want to ask your school to mention your family circumstances in their UCAS reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending