The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for student loan if I leave after one year of a different course?

I have already had my application for my September 2023 student loan approved. However, I have decided that I want to apply to drama schools (e.g. RADA, LAMDA) that do not go through UCAS while at university. I will find out if I have been accepted or not in May 2024. If I choose to take up a place at drama school, will student loan cover me for the whole three year course?

Thank you!
Original post by Koalaaa_23
I have already had my application for my September 2023 student loan approved. However, I have decided that I want to apply to drama schools (e.g. RADA, LAMDA) that do not go through UCAS while at university. I will find out if I have been accepted or not in May 2024. If I choose to take up a place at drama school, will student loan cover me for the whole three year course?

Thank you!

Hi there, What is the name of the institution you are potentially changing too? And the course title? Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, What is the name of the institution you are potentially changing too? And the course title? Thanks, Angela

I have not applied to any drama schools yet but potentially BA (Hons) in Acting at RADA if I get in
I have not applied to any drama schools yet but potentially BA (Hons) in Acting at RADA if I get in

Hi there, Thanks for confirming. RADA is not one of the eligible institutes for funding from Student Finance England. Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Hi there, Thanks for confirming. RADA is not one of the eligible institutes for funding from Student Finance England. Thanks, Angela

I am confused because the RADA website says: "Although applications are made directly to RADA, not through UCAS, RADA is a Registered Provider with the Office for Students. This means that Home (UK) students studying on our courses are eligible for financial support from the Student Loans Company." Surely this means I could get funding from Student Finance?

Also, would the BA Acting courses for LAMDA and Guildhall be covered? On their websites they say that UK government student loans are available.

Thank you.
I am confused because the RADA website says: "Although applications are made directly to RADA, not through UCAS, RADA is a Registered Provider with the Office for Students. This means that Home (UK) students studying on our courses are eligible for financial support from the Student Loans Company." Surely this means I could get funding from Student Finance?

Also, would the BA Acting courses for LAMDA and Guildhall be covered? On their websites they say that UK government student loans are available.

Thank you.

Hi there, We do provide funding for Acting courses for LAMDA. Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Hi there, We do provide funding for Acting courses for LAMDA. Thanks, Angela

Thank you for your response, but I still need some clarification.

The RADA and Guildhall websites say you can apply for student loan so why are they not eligible institutes? For example, the RADA website says: "Although applications are made directly to RADA, not through UCAS, RADA is a Registered Provider with the Office for Students. This means that Home (UK) students studying on our courses are eligible for financial support from the Student Loans Company."

Also, if I were to accept a place at LAMDA, would the student loan cover the whole three years or just two (as I would have completed my first year at a different university)?
Thank you for your response, but I still need some clarification.

The RADA and Guildhall websites say you can apply for student loan so why are they not eligible institutes? For example, the RADA website says: "Although applications are made directly to RADA, not through UCAS, RADA is a Registered Provider with the Office for Students. This means that Home (UK) students studying on our courses are eligible for financial support from the Student Loans Company."

Also, if I were to accept a place at LAMDA, would the student loan cover the whole three years or just two (as I would have completed my first year at a different university)?

Hi There, RADA is not showing on the course database as eligible for funding currently. The LAMDA course you would be eligible for funding for all 3 years. If you needed to repeat a year of the course no Tuition Fee funding would be available due to the previous year of study you have already had. Thanks, Angela
Reply 8
Hi There, RADA is not showing on the course database as eligible for funding currently. The LAMDA course you would be eligible for funding for all 3 years. If you needed to repeat a year of the course no Tuition Fee funding would be available due to the previous year of study you have already had. Thanks, Angela

Thank you so much for your help, Angela. Is there a way of me checking what acting courses are on the database for funding? It seems that the websites for some drama schools may be incorrect.
Thank you so much for your help, Angela. Is there a way of me checking what acting courses are on the database for funding? It seems that the websites for some drama schools may be incorr

Hi there, The course database is only available to Student Finance and Universities. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending