The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxbridge before gap year started

So I’m taking a gap year (just finished year 13) and I thought I could gain valuable experience, e.g. travelling, working, volunteering, taking another a level, but because the applications for Cambridge and Oxford are due in October, I will barely have had any time to put any of this experience on my UCAS application for them. Should I just mention everything that I’m going to do, and just get some more experience in the summer? I know that Oxbridge care more about grades than anything else, but it’s still annoying 😓
Original post by Lightningparrot
So I’m taking a gap year (just finished year 13) and I thought I could gain valuable experience, e.g. travelling, working, volunteering, taking another a level, but because the applications for Cambridge and Oxford are due in October, I will barely have had any time to put any of this experience on my UCAS application for them. Should I just mention everything that I’m going to do, and just get some more experience in the summer? I know that Oxbridge care more about grades than anything else, but it’s still annoying 😓

yeah do that - maybe in your personal statement do something like 'in my gap year im planning on undertaking xyz. by inspiring my gap year with a range of activities i hope to gain more xyz skills that'll be beneficial for this course as well as the invaluable opportunities to learn and develop as a person'
e.g. travelling, working, volunteering, taking another a level

If you're planning on taking another A-Level, this should be in your application. The rest is up to you but think about the availability of characters and the relevance to your course. Obviously, it will depend on what your activity and course are - e.g. working in a hospital would be useful to mention for Medicine, travelling for leisure would probably not be as useful (with exceptions, such as languages)

I mean, honestly I don't think most of that is going to be really relevant to an application to Oxford or Cambridge for almost any course. Taking an A-level would be relevant if it's relevant or required. If it's not required though they will still likely be primarily assessing you based on your A-levels to date.

Oxford and Cambridge offer academic degrees and want to see your academic motivations for studying. They don't care if your were begpacking across South Asia or going on a voluntourism trip in Africa. Moreover they realise many students may not have the opportunity to take a gap year to go travelling and so on, so they aren't going to privilege those who can.

You're really looking at this the wrong way round and honestly if you write a PS talking about all that stuff you had done in a gap year (past tense) I imagine it wouldn't be very strong for Oxford or Cambridge - potentially there may be a saving grace of your reflections on the experiences which may be relevant to certain courses. If you haven't even done the things yet you couldn't possibly reflect on them so you're just listing a bunch of hypothetical things you're going to do which tells them exactly zilch about your ability or interest in the course at hand.
Original post by artful_lounger
I mean, honestly I don't think most of that is going to be really relevant to an application to Oxford or Cambridge for almost any course. Taking an A-level would be relevant if it's relevant or required. If it's not required though they will still likely be primarily assessing you based on your A-levels to date.

Oxford and Cambridge offer academic degrees and want to see your academic motivations for studying. They don't care if your were begpacking across South Asia or going on a voluntourism trip in Africa. Moreover they realise many students may not have the opportunity to take a gap year to go travelling and so on, so they aren't going to privilege those who can.

You're really looking at this the wrong way round and honestly if you write a PS talking about all that stuff you had done in a gap year (past tense) I imagine it wouldn't be very strong for Oxford or Cambridge - potentially there may be a saving grace of your reflections on the experiences which may be relevant to certain courses. If you haven't even done the things yet you couldn't possibly reflect on them so you're just listing a bunch of hypothetical things you're going to do which tells them exactly zilch about your ability or interest in the course at hand.

Thanks, this is helpful. I know that Oxbridge look more for academic ability and passion for the subject. I think what I’ve realised is that my gap year should be more for me rather than for uni applications since I will be writing my PS soon anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest