The Student Room Group

GCSE requirements for University

I want to do marketing at uni and I am predicted okay grades (AAB) so I am looking mainly at Russell group unis. However, basically all of them ask for a grade 5 in GCSE maths and I only got a 4. I have still applied to two (Exeter and Liverpool) just incase it is somehow overlooked as I did well in all my other GCSE's and my predicted grades are okay, but I have little hope I will be given an offer. Im just so lost as I really don't want to miss out on going to a good uni that i know I can get into get into simply because im one grade off on my GCSE maths. Im genuinely starting to consider taking a gap year and resitting my maths as I really don't want it to hold me back. If anyone has any advice on this it would be very much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Jesssnow557
I want to do marketing at uni and I am predicted okay grades (AAB) so I am looking mainly at Russell group unis. However, basically all of them ask for a grade 5 in GCSE maths and I only got a 4. I have still applied to two (Exeter and Liverpool) just incase it is somehow overlooked as I did well in all my other GCSE's and my predicted grades are okay, but I have little hope I will be given an offer. Im just so lost as I really don't want to miss out on going to a good uni that i know I can get into get into simply because im one grade off on my GCSE maths. Im genuinely starting to consider taking a gap year and resitting my maths as I really don't want it to hold me back. If anyone has any advice on this it would be very much appreciated :smile:

Yes, re-sitting is the most sensible decision. If you could have resat in year 12 that would have been best, however you are where you are now.

Best of luck with your applications although I suspect you will be rejected. When you resit you can also use your gap year to get some work experience and other things so it can still be a valuable experience.

The way you describe the situation comes across like you have a handle on things & a good head on your shoulders so I think you’ll work this out.

You should have been re sitting Maths already. Without meeting the Maths GCSE grade it will be an automatic rejection. They deem this necessary to be able to complete the course because of the Mathematical nature of the course. What you could have done was shown Maths GCSE as pending and sitting it alongside your A levels. A university would then attach achieving the Maths grade alongside your A level grades. I dont know whether you can notify the universities directly and sit it privately. @PQ @Admit-One @McGinger @Muttley79 Can any of you help in this way

It's very unlikely that it'll be "somehow overlooked". Checking that your existing qualifications meet their entry requirements will be one of the first things they do, and they're rarely flexible on GCSE grades.

Is sounds like you've also applied to some unis which are happy with your grade 4 in Maths. Is that right?

You don't need to make any decision with regards to taking a gap year now. You can see what offers you get, see what A level grades you get, and decide then. If your happy with your confirmed uni place, then you're sorted. Otherwise, decline the place and retake Maths in a gap year.

Have you considered retaking Maths this year, alongside your A levels?
Reply 4
It wont be 'overlooked', so these two choices are a total waste of time.

Marketing involves data/stats work and this is why they want that specific GCSE Maths grade.
This is low btw - many other marketing degrees will want grade 6 or above.

So - you have several choices.

Don't apply to these Unis.

Re-think applying for Marketing because it involves 'numbers'.

Plan a gap-year and take a maths qual.

Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
It's very unlikely that it'll be "somehow overlooked". Checking that your existing qualifications meet their entry requirements will be one of the first things they do, and they're rarely flexible on GCSE grades.

Is sounds like you've also applied to some unis which are happy with your grade 4 in Maths. Is that right?

You don't need to make any decision with regards to taking a gap year now. You can see what offers you get, see what A level grades you get, and decide then. If your happy with your confirmed uni place, then you're sorted. Otherwise, decline the place and retake Maths in a gap year.

Have you considered retaking Maths this year, alongside your A levels?

Yeah, the other 3 only require grade 4 for maths and thats pretty much my plan as I wasn't 100% fixed on Uni next year it was just the ideal situation. I have thought about resitting but as I've missed the November resit now the next chance is May which is obviously right in the time I will be sitting my actual A-Levels so I think I just want to focus on them and definitely secure my grades. Just a very frustrating situation as its the only requirement I don't meet, but thank you so much for your advice!
Yeah, the other 3 only require grade 4 for maths and thats pretty much my plan as I wasn't 100% fixed on Uni next year it was just the ideal situation. I have thought about resitting but as I've missed the November resit now the next chance is May which is obviously right in the time I will be sitting my actual A-Levels so I think I just want to focus on them and definitely secure my grades. Just a very frustrating situation as its the only requirement I don't meet, but thank you so much for your advice!

It is not the only requirement it is the vital one for the subject. Others including A level grades will normally be accepted. A Maths GCSE grade is the vital one for many subjects that have Mathematical needs and these include Business, Marketing, Economics, Accountancy, Psychology and CS.

It might be worth you reconsidering the course to non Mathematical subject such as History, Sociology, Law etc if going to a top university is important to you. Many apply to Business/Marketing type courses without looking into the level of Maths needed. As McGinger has said most require grade 6 in GCSE Maths

Your observation that the next resit opportunity is "right in the time I will be sitting my actual A-Levels so I think I just want to focus on them and definitely secure my grades" is well made. It's not an approach I'd have recommended, but just wanted to make you aware that it was an option.

How do you feel about the three unis where you meet the GCSE requirements? Would you be very disappointed to end up at one of those three? Is the appeal of the other two worth an extra year to retake your Maths?
As above, it's one of the first things we check as it's the quickest way to reject a candidate.

Maths on a gap year would be the best route if you think you would be okay with the maths content at undergrad but want a decently ranked programme. Do not fixate on RG though.

Don't worry about it cause in the end, university are businesses and they want customers. Therefore most universities will lower their expected grade a it when it is close to the final application date to get the most customers(applicants) as they can
Original post by blob88888888
Don't worry about it cause in the end, university are businesses and they want customers. Therefore most universities will lower their expected grade a it when it is close to the final application date to get the most customers(applicants) as they can
Universities dont drop their Maths GCSE grades. Most will lower A level grades but a Maths requirement wont be ignored. It is there to ensure students are capable of coping with the Maths content of the course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending