The Student Room Group

Landlord trying to charge for stains that are not mine

I moved out of my uni house at the end of June, and my landlord is trying to charge £160 of my deposit for stains on my mattress. I sent him photographic evidence from the day I moved in with the date that proves when I took it.
He sends me back photos that were allegedly taken the day before we moved in, and suprise suprise, there is no stain on the mattress.
I refuse to believe that these photos were truly taken the day before we moved in, his only 'proof' is that he took a photo with the tv with the date on it, but that could've easily been the only photo he did actually take that day, not to mention he could have changed the date and time on the TV. He has provided no other evidence that these were taken on a specific day. I sent him a screenshot of my photo that has the date and time stamped at the top.
What do I do?
Was it documented in the inventory you signed when you moved in?

If it was then he can't charge you for it. If it wasn't then...you'll probably have to dispute it via the deposit protection scheme. Whether your dated photo vs his undated one will win out, I can't say for sure.

This is why it's always important to check the inventory carefully before signing, and if anything comes up after you move in that isn't in the inventory, ask them to add it!
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Was it documented in the inventory you signed when you moved in?

If it was then he can't charge you for it. If it wasn't then...you'll probably have to dispute it via the deposit protection scheme. Whether your dated photo vs his undated one will win out, I can't say for sure.

This is why it's always important to check the inventory carefully before signing, and if anything comes up after you move in that isn't in the inventory, ask them to add it!

I honestly cannot remember whether or not it was on the inventory.

My photo was taken at 10:15pm and I'm pretty sure he had left with our inventories by then.

It's likely that I could have to take it up with deposit protection scheme.
Very new to the student acc thing! How to check inventory and address discrepancies so you'd have proof later on, if you don't mind me asking!
I move to a purpose-built student accommodation in September and would be grateful if you could give me some moving tips as I am an international student!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending