The Student Room Group

I've passed everything except for one module

I am in my second year going into 3rd but I'm worried because i failed one of my modules altogether. Even though i passed the exam (barely) 45%, the coursework surprisingly I got a very bad grade and I don't even know yet if I can resit the coursework alone. I am wondering if my uni will accept me going into 3rd year with that one failed module and let me resit it then
Original post by Triple A_N
I am in my second year going into 3rd but I'm worried because i failed one of my modules altogether. Even though i passed the exam (barely) 45%, the coursework surprisingly I got a very bad grade and I don't even know yet if I can resit the coursework alone. I am wondering if my uni will accept me going into 3rd year with that one failed module and let me resit it then

Every university has different rules. Which university is this?

In all likelihood, they'll offer you the opportunity to be reassessed over the summer (in August, normally). Hopefully, you'll only need to be reassessed in the assignments you failed - and not the whole module.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Every university has different rules. Which university is this?

In all likelihood, they'll offer you the opportunity to be reassessed over the summer (in August, normally). Hopefully, you'll only need to be reassessed in the assignments you failed - and not the whole module.

Greenwich University. I would have to wait for their decision which should hopefully come out in a few days. But all my grades have been added to my logbook
Greenwich University. I would have to wait for their decision which should hopefully come out in a few days. But all my grades have been added to my logbook

OK. You said in your first post that "the coursework surprisingly I got a very bad grade" but that "i passed the exam (barely) 45%". What was the overall grade for this module as a whole? Was it 30% or more? And was this module worth no more than 30 credits? How about your average across all modules this year (including the failed one)? Was that 40% or more?

If so, then you meet the requirements for "compensation", where they treat the module as a pass and allow you to proceed on that basis. See D5.11 a) and D5.13 (a) and (b) in Greenwich's Academic Regulations For Taught Awards:

"D5.11 In consideration of a student’s profile, the Progression and Award Board will apply its discretion in the following manner:
a) Undergraduate Degree programmes:
At Stage One compensation may be applied up to a maximum of 30 credits regardless of the amount of credit failure. Reassessment may also be permitted in addition to compensated modules.
For subsequent stages compensation may be applied up to a maximum of 30 credits only where total failure is 30 credits or less."

"D5.13 Where a student’s work has been graded on the numerical scale and the overall module grade falls up to 10% below the minimum module pass mark, the Progression and Award Board may apply compensation for that failure.
For modules at levels 3, 4, 5 and 6 compensation up to 30 credits may be applied where:
(a) An average grade of 40% or more has been achieved across ALL modules at that stage; and
(b) The grade for that module does not fall below 30%;"

There's no guarantee that they'll apply the rules above (they say, "may apply compensation"), but if they do you won't even have to bother with the reassessment. :smile::crossedf:
Reply 4
OK. You said in your first post that "the coursework surprisingly I got a very bad grade" but that "i passed the exam (barely) 45%". What was the overall grade for this module as a whole? Was it 30% or more? And was this module worth no more than 30 credits? How about your average across all modules this year (including the failed one)? Was that 40% or more?

If so, then you meet the requirements for "compensation", where they treat the module as a pass and allow you to proceed on that basis. See D5.11 a) and D5.13 (a) and (b) in Greenwich's Academic Regulations For Taught Awards:

"D5.11 In consideration of a student’s profile, the Progression and Award Board will apply its discretion in the following manner:
a) Undergraduate Degree programmes:
At Stage One compensation may be applied up to a maximum of 30 credits regardless of the amount of credit failure. Reassessment may also be permitted in addition to compensated modules.
For subsequent stages compensation may be applied up to a maximum of 30 credits only where total failure is 30 credits or less."

"D5.13 Where a student’s work has been graded on the numerical scale and the overall module grade falls up to 10% below the minimum module pass mark, the Progression and Award Board may apply compensation for that failure.
For modules at levels 3, 4, 5 and 6 compensation up to 30 credits may be applied where:
(a) An average grade of 40% or more has been achieved across ALL modules at that stage; and
(b) The grade for that module does not fall below 30%;"

There's no guarantee that they'll apply the rules above (they say, "may apply compensation"), but if they do you won't even have to bother with the reassessment. :smile::crossedf:

Seriously, thank you for taking your time to reply to my enquiry.

The module I failed is worth 15 credits and overall I got 37%. The average across all my other modules I’ve passed way over 40%. So, with the information you’ve provided hopefully they will look at my profile overall and apply compensation and I wouldn’t need to re-do my coursework.

Btw, you’ve saved me lots of time trying to contact the university as they do sometimes take a while to give back a reply so at least my mind is at bit of ease now. I’ll just have to wait and see what happens
Seriously, thank you for taking your time to reply to my enquiry.

The module I failed is worth 15 credits and overall I got 37%. The average across all my other modules I’ve passed way over 40%. So, with the information you’ve provided hopefully they will look at my profile overall and apply compensation and I wouldn’t need to re-do my coursework.

Btw, you’ve saved me lots of time trying to contact the university as they do sometimes take a while to give back a reply so at least my mind is at bit of ease now. I’ll just have to wait and see what happens

You're welcome. I just wish universities (including Greenwich) were more prescriptive with these rules, but they always say that the decision is down to the "Progression and Award Board" (or similar). So, as you say, you just have to wait and see what happens now. (Don't forget update this thread on the outcome, one way or another.)
Reply 6
You're welcome. I just wish universities (including Greenwich) were more prescriptive with these rules, but they always say that the decision is down to the "Progression and Award Board" (or similar). So, as you say, you just have to wait and see what happens now. (Don't forget update this thread on the outcome, one way or another.)

**UPDATE***

I passed! I was indeed compensated and now thankfully onto third year. I am so thrilled, I know third year will be challenging but yeah I was worried.

Thanks!
**UPDATE***

I passed! I was indeed compensated and now thankfully onto third year. I am so thrilled, I know third year will be challenging but yeah I was worried.

Thanks!

Hurrah! That's great news! :party:

(And thank you for updating the thread.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending