The Student Room Group

Help! Being asked to withdraw.

Hello, I’m in my second year. I had a ‘compensated pass’ last year. Last month I found out I’d also failed a summer referral (following extenuating circumstance) and had 2 weeks to submit a resit. At the time I didn’t have any feedback etc. last week I found out I’d failed the resit too.
I have since found out I had an email in the summer telling me I’d failed and offering me the opportunity to resit the year, take a degree without honours - or resubmit. I’m not making excuses for my oversight - but I’m a disabled student and have various supports in place. I genuinely had no idea about any of this.
Because I never responded to that email - they put me automatically for the resit apparently.
Now that I have failed that - I’m being told my only option is to withdraw (I can appeal etc - but my question is…) I’d have bitten their hand off in the summer had I know resitting the year was an option - or transferring to a different programme even - and as such - this is what I really want to do. I’m being told my only route now is appeal - which i expect the outcome by February - too late to change course/years (not least because one of my failed modules is assessed before Christmas!).
Is anyone able to advise - can heads of school etc use discretion in these situations - or is it true there is no other way forward for me? Obviously I’ve now had student finance for two years - so properly starting again somewhere next year isn’t an option… I feel like I was finally finding my feet and therefore my way - and the rug has been whipped from under me… Please help!
@gjd800 may be able to assist if they have time.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
@gjd800 may be able to assist if they have time.

Thanks!
Original post by Normsk
Hello, I’m in my second year. I had a ‘compensated pass’ last year. Last month I found out I’d also failed a summer referral (following extenuating circumstance) and had 2 weeks to submit a resit. At the time I didn’t have any feedback etc. last week I found out I’d failed the resit too.
I have since found out I had an email in the summer telling me I’d failed and offering me the opportunity to resit the year, take a degree without honours - or resubmit. I’m not making excuses for my oversight - but I’m a disabled student and have various supports in place. I genuinely had no idea about any of this.
Because I never responded to that email - they put me automatically for the resit apparently.
Now that I have failed that - I’m being told my only option is to withdraw (I can appeal etc - but my question is…) I’d have bitten their hand off in the summer had I know resitting the year was an option - or transferring to a different programme even - and as such - this is what I really want to do. I’m being told my only route now is appeal - which i expect the outcome by February - too late to change course/years (not least because one of my failed modules is assessed before Christmas!).
Is anyone able to advise - can heads of school etc use discretion in these situations - or is it true there is no other way forward for me? Obviously I’ve now had student finance for two years - so properly starting again somewhere next year isn’t an option… I feel like I was finally finding my feet and therefore my way - and the rug has been whipped from under me… Please help!

The short answer here is that the exam board (not really the HoS unilaterally) and/or the Dept in consultation with Wellbeing (the MitCircs people) can use their discretion, but only to a point, and usually only with accepted MitCircs for all failed units (so including the resit - do your Mit Circs still apply/have they been accepted?). Was the failure coursework or a sat exam? if an exam it is no surprise there was no feedback, but for coursework it would be irregular.

It is too late to change this year but it would be worth enquiring about the possibility of interruption whilst this appeal is considered. I doubt it will be possible at this late stage but it's worth asking the question.

It is unfortunate that you didn't check and respond to your emails but ultimately that is on you - the basic thing for university students as with staff is to check emails at least once per day, even in the off-season and vacations.

I'd say you need to speak to senior leadership in your department and see what strings they might be able to pull in the light of your mitigation, especially if it is still ongoing. I know that we do this all the time in my Dept for students with substantial MC and support requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending