The Student Room Group

Should I still work a job I hate if it means gaining experience in a speciality?

So I'm a health professional registered in the UK (non-medic) / been practicing for almost 9 years and I wish to do the PH registrar training programme.
Whilst I passed the assessment centre for the 2022/23 applications, I didn't get shortlisted for an interview. Also due to the lack of jobs in my field, combined with an issue with getting a dbs, work was hard to get and still is an issue finding steady work in my area.
I had the option of doing work in a local councils public health team but having worked there for under 2 months, I can honestly say I hate it. Compared to working as a clinician, there is way more red tape and far less autonomy. It is also pretty shocking to see gaps in people's knowledge about basic conditions which are commonly targeted by ph and icbs which you would expect people to know about.
Also the management structure in my area is not remotely helpful when it comes to teaching and supports and actually start to complain about you overwhelming them with work / being "very intellectual" when you are able to return work they have shoved on you much quicker than they expect (I stay behind and start earlier than them and they're pretty much skiving a lot of work by 5-10 hours a week) . What's worse is that whilst some aspects of the job are interesting, the vast majority of it you are literally just doing admin / secretarial work, which is honestly a waste of time I'm, and they're always asking you to do random things which they can't be asked to do.
I just want to leave but sadly don't have any work lined up. If I do get locum work, it would be at a higher pay band (this and the locum role are both b6 and above per nhs afc) but without a reference or the flexibility my current role has. I am looking at working in non-health fields but have no idea how this would impact my prospects for the public health st1 application this year. Similarly, how much longer should I stay in this role as I still am nowhere near the end of my probationary period (which alarmingly is 8 months instead of 6 - I plan on leaving around the 4-5 month marker, however I want to leave sooner than that).

Any suggestions?
Sounds like you might be creating the slack by coming in early and staying late. That adds up to what, 5 to 10 hours a week? How much did you say they’re skiving by?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Sounds like you might be creating the slack by coming in early and staying late. That adds up to what, 5 to 10 hours a week? How much did you say they’re skiving by?

They're the ones skiving that much. Although I feel its more tbh as they're supposed to be working 7.5 a day, however they leave 1-1.5 hours early and arrive 30-60 minutes late. So yeah, they're a bunch of skiving gits
Reply 3
My hours are different but I'm still accruing 3 hours flexi time a week whereas they are they barely get 15-20 minutes a week per what they claim (they should be minus 10+ hours Imo but what can you do)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending