The Student Room Group

Wolverhampton MSc psychology mental health and well-being (online)

Scroll to see replies

Hi Andrei, I’m not sure about prospects. I think you need to do a specific 3 year clinical course to be a psychologist. But maybe check with careers service.
Reply 21
Original post by Lozxxmf
Hey! I received my unconditional offer for past-time masters psychology mental health and well-being at the university of Wolverhampton. I’ve heard very mixed reviews on the programme of study and wondered if anyone else has already studied or possibly starting September 2023? It would be nice to get in touch with some people.

I spoke to an advisor and the modules etc sounds great! Plus it’s BPS accredited. I’m looking at progressing on to do my PhD in educational psychology.

Thanks in advance x

I started this course 2 yrs ago. Due to personal circumstances I spoke to them about temporary withdrawal. They where awful and gave me so much wrong information which lead to me leaving the course believing i could return when in fact i couldn't and i also couldn't receive student finance again. I had to fight for a year and demand recordings of my phone calls to them to prove i was given the wrong information. Even after they accepted liability they were a nightmare to get the paper documents i needed to reinstate student finance because of their error. I decided not to return to them and am due to re start with my local Uni in the next few weeks. Whilst I was on the course it was very impersonal, just throw information at you in short, brief videos without any real teaching taking place. Personally I would avoid.
Thanks for everyone’s input. I am about to join. What do the assessments look like? About 4000 word per module? And how long does the dissertation need to be? Thanks for any help.
Hi, I think it depends on the module, for this first one I’m doing, there’s a 1,500 word evaluation but also graded formative task such as a 3 slide pot presentation with commentary and review. I assume other modules have longer assignments. The dissertation is 16 weeks at the end of the course, not sure how long it is. I like the structure and input from tutors.
Thanks so much Ben. I really appreciate your time and it’s really helpful. And seems doable! Is there any option to do modules quicker? I’m really glad you are enjoying it and the support from your tutors.
You can do it full time where you do 2 modules every 8 weeks - that is one year. I’m doing 2 years part time, just one module per 8 weeks. It’s the same fee regardless of length. They reckon 18-20 hours per week for part time, which is a lot on top of a job, so full time would be recommended 36-40hrs per week spent studying.
Brilliant. Thanks so much. If I can get my funds in order, I’m going to go for it. Hope it continues to go well for you!
Reply 27
Original post by BenHamilton
You can do it full time where you do 2 modules every 8 weeks - that is one year. I’m doing 2 years part time, just one module per 8 weeks. It’s the same fee regardless of length. They reckon 18-20 hours per week for part time, which is a lot on top of a job, so full time would be recommended 36-40hrs per week spent studying.

Hi,
I interested to join Msc in mental health program 31st oct. batch and would like to know howz ur experience so far? Is it worth the price?
Reply 28
Original post by nisha18
Hi,
I interested to join Msc in mental health program 31st oct. batch and would like to know howz ur experience so far? Is it worth the price?

I would like to have a quick response from you if v can chat on my whatsapp no.+256752069990 if u don't mind. Thanks.
Hi it’s a good course so far. I’ve just started my 3rd week but I’m enjoying it. I think it’s well structured. You need to be motivated and good at independent study. There are student forums and discussions and the support seems good.
Reply 30
Hi it’s a good course so far. I’ve just started my 3rd week but I’m enjoying it. I think it’s well structured. You need to be motivated and good at independent study. There are student forums and discussions and the support seems good.

Thank u so much Ben for the prompt reply.

Ben, do you get the assessment for the module when the modules opens so you have plenty of time to get your head around it?
Hi, yes you do, it’s all set out at the start of the module so you can see what is expected week but week and the end of unit assessment. You are encouraged to start researching and working on the assignment early on in the module.
Hi, yes you do, it’s all set out at the start of the module so you can see what is expected week but week and the end of unit assessment. You are encouraged to start researching and working on the assignment early on in the module.

Brilliant. Thank you! Sounds really good! Hope your first submission goes well!
Reply 34

Hi, hope u r well. Any idea which countries acknowledges this program? I am planning to relocate to Canada, will it be useful there? The course do not mention about practicums/internships? TIA
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by nisha18
Hi, hope u r well. Any idea which countries acknowledges this program? I am planning to relocate to Canada, will it be useful there? The course do not mention about practicums/internships? TIA

You need to see how is the psycholy board in Canada I would say. I am in new Zealand and yes the master seems to be valid but I still need to find a practicum myself of 1500 hours here to become registered as a psychologist
Reply 36
Original post by AndreiaCro
You need to see how is the psycholy board in Canada I would say. I am in new Zealand and yes the master seems to be valid but I still need to find a practicum myself of 1500 hours here to become registered as a psychologist

Thanks and appreciate your feedback.

Hi Ben,

Hope things are still going well!

I’ve another question if you know the answer! Do you get modules over holidays? Or do they only open during term times therefore adding time to complete? On the phone the other day I’m not sure I understood what the woman was explaining.
Hi, I think it’s goes straight from one 8 week module to the next with a 2 wk break at Xmas and a longer break in the summer I think. Not sure about Easter.
Hi, I think it’s goes straight from one 8 week module to the next with a 2 wk break at Xmas and a longer break in the summer I think. Not sure about Easter.

Thank you, Ben. This is really going to make it longer than 14 months then! (For the full time option)

Quick Reply

Latest