The Student Room Group

Wolverhampton MSc psychology mental health and well-being (online)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oliviarhianne
Hi guys,
I know some of you have had to answer this many times so I apologise in advance lol.
Is this worth it? I’ve seen some terrible reviews, have come in here and seen some positive. Im due to start March 5th, is it worth it?
How’s your experiences been?
Would you say work is graded fairly?
Are you getting much support when needed?
Are there many lectures for each assignment?

Thank you 💖

Hi, I find it fine, marking is good, support good when needed, I’m not sure why the reviews have been so bad. It is an online course so maybe people expect a lot more. There are no live lectures, they’re pre recorded, though there is a live q and a session on the assignment for each module.
Original post by BenHamilton
Hi, I find it fine, marking is good, support good when needed, I’m not sure why the reviews have been so bad. It is an online course so maybe people expect a lot more. There are no live lectures, they’re pre recorded, though there is a live q and a session on the assignment for each module.

I started in November, thanks to Ben’s really detailed feedback on here. I cannot understand what the negative reviews are about. Everything is very well organised, the tutors are very supportive and I love being able to go through things at my own pace. Yes it’s rapid but you do have a bit of leeway to work extra hard one week if you fall back a bit. I felt the grading was fair, I thought I would have done better but reading the feedback I realised what was missing and can hopefully include more of it for the next assignment. Tutors say you can contact them if you have questions about what they have written. The assignments are really interesting and not boring essays and get you thinking creatively about applying psych which I love. It’s a solid course but you do need to be very self-motivated. I already have a masters from a so called top university and can hand on heart say I’m enjoying this one so much more. I’m actually considering doing a MBA after it if the delivery is the same as the way it is set up really works well for me and my life. Big thanks to Ben who has been very generous of his time on here answering questions and inspired me to sign up. I’m loving it and really glad I did.
Reply 82
Original post by Ellahigham
Hello,

I am looking at enrolling on this course, starting March 2024. Is anyone else enrolling too?

Hi Ellahigham
I’m looking to enrolling for the course in March too.
Reply 83
Hello

i have been reading everyone's reviews, and thank you for taking time out to help us who are in two minds. I am looking to enroll in the March course but as i will also be working alongside this degree, can anyone provide insight as to whether or not it is possible to work part time and study this course full time? I am more curious on the assignment breakdown Is there usually one assignment per module and how far apart are they spaced and what type of assesments are they e.g. presentations/ essays (word count)? Sorry for all the questions, i juts want to clear my doubts before proceeding. Also as it is a lot of money and i will be self-funding i am curious to know if anyone knows any bursaries or scholarships that may be available? Thank you in advance :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by s____
Hello

i have been reading everyone's reviews, and thank you for taking time out to help us who are in two minds. I am looking to enroll in the March course but as i will also be working alongside this degree, can anyone provide insight as to whether or not it is possible to work part time and study this course full time? I am more curious on the assignment breakdown Is there usually one assignment per module and how far apart are they spaced and what type of assesments are they e.g. presentations/ essays (word count)? Sorry for all the questions, i juts want to clear my doubts before proceeding. Also as it is a lot of money and i will be self-funding i am curious to know if anyone knows any bursaries or scholarships that may be available? Thank you in advance :smile:

Hi, it’s recommended that we study 18 hrs per week for the part time course so double this for the full-time course. I work full-time and do the course part-time, but as it is related to my work I get the chance to do some of it during work time. It is a lot but manageable depending on your other commitments. Each module is 8 weeks, and usually an assignment at the end of this. Not always an assignment, it can be a review or report and the odd module you have to do a pot presentation as part of the assessment, don’t worry you don’t have to present it.
I’m not sure about bursaries etc, you could contact the university to ask and maybe do an online search to see if you can find anything. Good luck. Ben
Reply 85
Hi, it’s recommended that we study 18 hrs per week for the part time course so double this for the full-time course. I work full-time and do the course part-time, but as it is related to my work I get the chance to do some of it during work time. It is a lot but manageable depending on your other commitments. Each module is 8 weeks, and usually an assignment at the end of this. Not always an assignment, it can be a review or report and the odd module you have to do a pot presentation as part of the assessment, don’t worry you don’t have to present it.
I’m not sure about bursaries etc, you could contact the university to ask and maybe do an online search to see if you can find anything. Good luck. Ben

Thank you Ben for your reply. Is the work for each module released on a week by week basis or am I able to to see all course content at the beginning of the module including the assignment and submit early if necessary? thank you in advance.
Original post by s____
Thank you Ben for your reply. Is the work for each module released on a week by week basis or am I able to to see all course content at the beginning of the module including the assignment and submit early if necessary? thank you in advance.

Hi, all the materials for all the module are released at the start, so you’re not restricted week by week as to what you can do.
Reply 87
Hi, I am looking at applying for this course, annoyingly I've missed the boat for this year though. I'm confused whether this is a psychology conversion course though? I already have an undergraduate psychology degree, but the wording on their website has made me concerned this is for people who don't have a psychology degree already. What are people planning to work in after this course? Sorry for all the questions, there doesn't seem to be much info on the uni website!
Reply 88
Original post by Hattedcat
Hi, I am looking at applying for this course, annoyingly I've missed the boat for this year though. I'm confused whether this is a psychology conversion course though? I already have an undergraduate psychology degree, but the wording on their website has made me concerned this is for people who don't have a psychology degree already. What are people planning to work in after this course? Sorry for all the questions, there doesn't seem to be much info on the uni website!
Hi, from what I’ve been told this is a psychology conversion course that is BPS accredited and give GMBPSs. Some people have undergrad psychology degrees that are not accredited which is why they tend to go for this course. Hope this helps :smile: x
Reply 89
Original post by s____
Hi, from what I’ve been told this is a psychology conversion course that is BPS accredited and give GMBPSs. Some people have undergrad psychology degrees that are not accredited which is why they tend to go for this course. Hope this helps :smile: x
Ok great thank you! That helps a lot 😊
Original post by Hattedcat
Hi, I think there’s multiple start times throughout the year. I was confused about the conversion course bit. It is a masters in psychology but I think the selling point is you don’t need a bachelor’s in psychology. I can tell you it definitely helps to have a bachelor’s in psychology even though mine was 30 years ago.
Have you enrolled onto this course yet? It looks ideal for me but some reviews of Wolverhampton online masters courses are so damning that I’m reluctant to sign up for it
I'm the same. I keep applying and then backing out because I want to hear some positives from people who have actually done this course online with this uni.
Original post by TheLearner
I'm the same. I keep applying and then backing out because I want to hear some positives from people who have actually done this course online with this uni.
Hi, I’ve been on this course since September. I’ve enjoyed it so far and not sure why there’s so many bad reviews. It is self directed, but there is lots of guidance and support.

Ben
Reply 93
Hi TheLearner,
It sounds as if I am in the same boat as you. I have been offered a place to start the course at the end of April and I was quite excited about this until I read a few negative comments which made me question my plans. It has been reassuring to read some feedback from this page and to know I can manage the expectations of the course alongside working full time.
I am a Mum of 3 but also have quite a stressful job within Children's Services, so I just hope I can balance all of my commitments.
When would you be starting the course?

Charlotte
Original post by Betty81
Hi TheLearner,
It sounds as if I am in the same boat as you. I have been offered a place to start the course at the end of April and I was quite excited about this until I read a few negative comments which made me question my plans. It has been reassuring to read some feedback from this page and to know I can manage the expectations of the course alongside working full time.
I am a Mum of 3 but also have quite a stressful job within Children's Services, so I just hope I can balance all of my commitments.
When would you be starting the course?
Charlotte
Hi Charlotte,

I have left it a bit late and only just reapplied to start this April, if they'll let me, if not I'll have to start in June. I read a few better comments from Ben which has put my mind at ease and I think as it's part time, it should be manageable. :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 95
Hi Charlotte,
I have left it a bit late and only just reapplied to start this April, if they'll let me, if not I'll have to start in June. I read a few better comments from Ben which has put my mind at ease and I think as it's part time, it should be manageable. :smile:

Hi, I only confirmed my place yesterday, so I’m sure you’ll be fine. Good Luck
:smile:
Original post by Betty81
Hi, I only confirmed my place yesterday, so I’m sure you’ll be fine. Good Luck
:smile:

Hi Charlotte .. I have just received an offer to start in April! :smile:
Reply 97
Hi Charlotte .. I have just received an offer to start in April! :smile:

Thanks great news, I will at least know someone.
Original post by Betty81
Thanks great news, I will at least know someone.

Yay! I just sent you a direct message X
Hi Everyone, I am planning to apply for the course and would like to know what people ended up doing after graduation. Did it contribute to enhancing your career prospects in any significant manner? Thanks, Lili

Quick Reply

Latest