The Student Room Group

Wolverhampton MSc psychology mental health and well-being (online)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilibognar
Hi Everyone, I am planning to apply for the course and would like to know what people ended up doing after graduation. Did it contribute to enhancing your career prospects in any significant manner? Thanks, Lili

I think most people on here are either about to or have recently just started the programme. Perhaps start a new thread asking your question or email the uni to ask if they can put you in touch with some graduates of the Masters?
Can anyone tell me how long we have to complete the MSc online? I know it says it takes 2 years if you complete it online but what if you need longer?
Original post by Betty81
Can anyone tell me how long we have to complete the MSc online? I know it says it takes 2 years if you complete it online but what if you need longer?

I guess you have the option of taking study breaks
Reply 103
Hi everyone. How difficult is this course for someone with no knowledge of maths/stats? How step-by-step are the explanations around these topics? Started a conversion course at another uni and left because there was no support and the stats module was incomprehensible to me. Thanks in advance for any answers!
Reply 104
Original post by TheLearner
Yay! I just sent you a direct message X

I’m also starting in this month! I’d love to connect but I’m not able to send PMs for some reason.
Original post by Viglet
I’m also starting in this month! I’d love to connect but I’m not able to send PMs for some reason.

I’m also starting this month! A bit nervous as not studied for a while and have 2 young children and also work 🙈
Original post by crnz
Hi everyone. How difficult is this course for someone with no knowledge of maths/stats? How step-by-step are the explanations around these topics? Started a conversion course at another uni and left because there was no support and the stats module was incomprehensible to me. Thanks in advance for any answers!

Good question! Have you spoken to anyone at the university about your concerns? That would be the best thing to do. Having said that, I am guessing that nowadays there must be some app/programme available that we could use to make life easier when it comes to doing statistics.
Original post by Viglet

Hi Viglet, have you enrolled? Strange that you're unable to send PM's - You will probably be able to connect with other students on the course once it starts.
Original post by Josephine Black
I started in November, thanks to Ben’s really detailed feedback on here. I cannot understand what the negative reviews are about. Everything is very well organised, the tutors are very supportive and I love being able to go through things at my own pace. Yes it’s rapid but you do have a bit of leeway to work extra hard one week if you fall back a bit. I felt the grading was fair, I thought I would have done better but reading the feedback I realised what was missing and can hopefully include more of it for the next assignment. Tutors say you can contact them if you have questions about what they have written. The assignments are really interesting and not boring essays and get you thinking creatively about applying psych which I love. It’s a solid course but you do need to be very self-motivated. I already have a masters from a so called top university and can hand on heart say I’m enjoying this one so much more. I’m actually considering doing a MBA after it if the delivery is the same as the way it is set up really works well for me and my life. Big thanks to Ben who has been very generous of his time on here answering questions and inspired me to sign up. I’m loving it and really glad I did.

Wonderful and very helpful feedback for those of us looking at studying for this degree! Thank you! :smile:
Reply 109
Original post by TheLearner
Hi Viglet, have you enrolled? Strange that you're unable to send PM's - You will probably be able to connect with other students on the course once it starts.

Yep I’ve enrollled!

I’ve made a what’s app group for us to connect off the school message boards.

I did my undergrad online and found that having a space to chat without formalities was really helpful.
Original post by Viglet
Yep I’ve enrollled!
I did my undergrad online and found that having a space to chat without formalities was really helpful.

Hi 👋 can I join the Wattsapp group please?
I am wanting to know if there are any current students on the MSc Mental Health & Wellbeing course? Following this thread, the reviews are pretty awful, but the course content appears to be perfect for what I need. Advice needed before I commit money which will be difficult to find anyway!
(edited 1 week ago)
Original post by MattyP F
I am wanting to know if there are any current students on the MSc Mental Health & Wellbeing course? Following this thread, the reviews are pretty awful, but the course content appears to be perfect for what I need. Advice needed before I commit money which will be difficult to find anyway!

I’m on my 4th module after starting September last year. I love it, you work at you own pace but have to be self motivated. There are no live lectures but there are discussion groups and the content and assessments are interesting and well put together.
Original post by BenHamilton
I’m on my 4th module after starting September last year. I love it, you work at you own pace but have to be self motivated. There are no live lectures but there are discussion groups and the content and assessments are interesting and well put together.

Thank you Ben. I wonder why all the bad reviews about lack of tutor feedback, I.T. not working and no access to .modules or people to ci tact if there is a problem... etc... I am self sufficient but if there is a problem with access to the course or no feedback on assignments, that could be a concern.. But the course seems unique, and ticks all of my boxes....
Are you from the UK too?
Original post by MattyP F
Thank you Ben. I wonder why all the bad reviews about lack of tutor feedback, I.T. not working and no access to .modules or people to ci tact if there is a problem... etc... I am self sufficient but if there is a problem with access to the course or no feedback on assignments, that could be a concern.. But the course seems unique, and ticks all of my boxes....
Are you from the UK too?

I have always had feedback on assignments, good support when needed. The IT has been fine apart from a recent cyber attack. Never had issue with not accessing content.
Original post by BenHamilton
I have always had feedback on assignments, good support when needed. The IT has been fine apart from a recent cyber attack. Never had issue with not accessing content.

Good to know Ben, thank you.
Original post by Lozxxmf
Hey! I received my unconditional offer for past-time masters psychology mental health and well-being at the university of Wolverhampton. I’ve heard very mixed reviews on the programme of study and wondered if anyone else has already studied or possibly starting September 2023? It would be nice to get in touch with some people.
I spoke to an advisor and the modules etc sounds great! Plus it’s BPS accredited. I’m looking at progressing on to do my PhD in educational psychology.
Thanks in advance x

I am a mature student and on the Masters Psychology at Wolverhampton. The awkward reviews you get from the Wolverhampton online courses is because they are very dependent on automated systems. So it can be tricky to navigate your way around the Canvas and E-Vison and it can also be difficult for real time human interaction. The key to it is to spend a good few hours before starting, to work your way around all the areas of the online system. Not just the modules, but the student posts, Course Cafe, Skills for Learning, Student Orientation, forums and chat room etc..I also spent £300 on all the books required ( i am not saying everyone can afford to do that) but the one book for definite is Lifespan Development - Denise Boyd 8th Edition. So do not become dependent on incoming mails or prompts for your modules. Just know where you are and what's coming next.
Regards
Clive
(edited 1 week ago)
Original post by Betty81

You can defer, retake or delay for up to 2 years.
Original post by Viglet
Yep I’ve enrollled!

I've enrolled as well and would like to join the Whatsapp group please :smile:
Original post by Clive MAM
I am a mature student and on the Masters Psychology at Wolverhampton. The awkward reviews you get from the Wolverhampton online courses is because they are very dependent on automated systems. So it can be tricky to navigate your way around the Canvas and E-Vison and it can also be difficult for real time human interaction. The key to it is to spend a good few hours before starting, to work your way around all the areas of the online system. Not just the modules, but the student posts, Course Cafe, Skills for Learning, Student Orientation, forums and chat room etc..I also spent £300 on all the books required ( i am not saying everyone can afford to do that) but the one book for definite is Lifespan Development - Denise Boyd 8th Edition. So do not become dependent on incoming mails or prompts for your modules. Just know where you are and what's coming next.
Regards
Clive

Thanks for the pointers! 🙂 Are you doing the Psychology of MH & Wellbeing or Psychology?

Quick Reply

Latest