The Student Room Group

I’m struggling to get a job

I need a job I’ve been applying to so many during summer and I either get no reply or rejected. It’s really frustrating because I’m short on money and I’m taking driving lessons which I’ll eventually have to stop because I have no money! I honestly don’t know what to do
Original post by Qwer7869
I need a job I’ve been applying to so many during summer and I either get no reply or rejected. It’s really frustrating because I’m short on money and I’m taking driving lessons which I’ll eventually have to stop because I have no money! I honestly don’t know what to do

Hi there!

I am really sorry to hear about your predicament, I experienced a similar thing during my first year of uni in the Summer. I was constantly being told I did not have enough experience for the job but could not get out of that cycle. While I cannot guarantee you a job, there's some things you could check to increase your chances of getting a job.

- Double checking all grammar on your CV
- Using key words from the job description in each application to describe yourself
- Picking out transferable skills of your hobbies/experience which are relevant to the job
- Attaching a cover sheet which is also relevant to the job
- Contacting the company after applying to show more interest
- Keep applying even if you are waiting on responses
- Always have a question ready at the end of an interview
- Include a lot of action words in your CV such as:
Enhanced
Instigated
Accomplished
Negotiated
Designed
Facilitated

Unfortunately, it is quite late in the summer and most summer jobs are likely to be taken by now. Next year I would recommend that you start earlier if you need one again.

Perhaps signing up to an agency who can look at your skills and consider what will suit you best with what they have available would be a good route for this summer. I really understand your situation; it can be so difficult getting a job but don't lose hope!

Good luck!
Rachel- YSJ student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending