The Student Room Group

Will he ever propose? I feel as though I’m not important

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 5 years, and in a relationship for 4 1/2 years. We haven’t lived together for just over three years.

When we were first dating, we discussed having mutual relationship goals of getting married and our timelines were the same. Two years ago I told them that I was ready to get engaged and start to slowly progress our relationship to the next step, and they seemed on board. One year later still no engagement and so I asked when they felt it would happen - they said soon. Birthdays, Christmas, NYE, NY, Valentine’s Day and our anniversary would pass and after a couple of month I’d ask again, but still get the same response of soon. When I asked them if they still wanted to get engaged in a non-judgemental way, they say ‘yes, soon baby’.

I’m ready to start my life with them and to make both independent/codependent steps to achieve our independent goals, alongside progression through our relationship. I’m getting tired of waiting and honestly just feel in limbo. Sometimes I can’t enjoy special occasions, as much as I seem too because I mask how I feel, because I’m waiting and nothing happens. I don’t know what to do because I don’t want to keep bothering him with it, but it’s important to me.

Separate from the above, but I found out today that he’s been looking at other girls (they look so young) TikTok videos online - these girls are extremely sexualised and take teasing photos/videos. We slept together and his log on my feed said he followed one of these girls pages when I went to the bathroom afterwards and he was waiting for me. I understand that we all have an almost uncontrollable first notice of such appealing things, but my problem is once that subconscious reaction has occurred and he makes the decision to continue looking/scrolling/following.

I can’t help but wonder if he hasn’t committed to us (and I think we would both say that we have a pretty good relationship) because he wants to keep his options open. I feel as though I am confident in myself and I work hard to keep myself in shape/look after myself through self-care (for myself of course), but I feel incomparable to the girls he looks at online. Can’t believe I’m even writing this, but specifically with my breast size.

I also feel as though I would be less bothered if we were engaged to be married because I’d know that he chooses to be with me (I would never say this to him though as I am not engaged and therefore do not know that I would not still be bothered if so).

I find it really difficult to communicate how I feel because I don’t like confrontation and I don’t want to cause any issues. I also sometimes feel as though he cares and hears me in the moment, then things slowly fade.

Please help. Any advice would be much appreciated as I am struggling with how I feel about this all.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend and I have been dating for 5 years, and in a relationship for 4 1/2 years. We haven’t lived together for just over three years.

When we were first dating, we discussed having mutual relationship goals of getting married and our timelines were the same. Two years ago I told them that I was ready to get engaged and start to slowly progress our relationship to the next step, and they seemed on board. One year later still no engagement and so I asked when they felt it would happen - they said soon. Birthdays, Christmas, NYE, NY, Valentine’s Day and our anniversary would pass and after a couple of month I’d ask again, but still get the same response of soon. When I asked them if they still wanted to get engaged in a non-judgemental way, they say ‘yes, soon baby’.

I’m ready to start my life with them and to make both independent/codependent steps to achieve our independent goals, alongside progression through our relationship. I’m getting tired of waiting and honestly just feel in limbo. Sometimes I can’t enjoy special occasions, as much as I seem too because I mask how I feel, because I’m waiting and nothing happens. I don’t know what to do because I don’t want to keep bothering him with it, but it’s important to me.

Separate from the above, but I found out today that he’s been looking at other girls (they look so young) TikTok videos online - these girls are extremely sexualised and take teasing photos/videos. We slept together and his log on my feed said he followed one of these girls pages when I went to the bathroom afterwards and he was waiting for me. I understand that we all have an almost uncontrollable first notice of such appealing things, but my problem is once that subconscious reaction has occurred and he makes the decision to continue looking/scrolling/following.

I can’t help but wonder if he hasn’t committed to us (and I think we would both say that we have a pretty good relationship) because he wants to keep his options open. I feel as though I am confident in myself and I work hard to keep myself in shape/look after myself through self-care (for myself of course), but I feel incomparable to the girls he looks at online. Can’t believe I’m even writing this, but specifically with my breast size.

I also feel as though I would be less bothered if we were engaged to be married because I’d know that he chooses to be with me (I would never say this to him though as I am not engaged and therefore do not know that I would not still be bothered if so).

I find it really difficult to communicate how I feel because I don’t like confrontation and I don’t want to cause any issues. I also sometimes feel as though he cares and hears me in the moment, then things slowly fade.

Please help. Any advice would be much appreciated as I am struggling with how I feel about this all.

Reading what you just wrote, it does not appear like you are fully happy in the relationship. It could be just my interpretation, but your narrative felt quite formal, like ticking boxs as your relationship develops. I wonder why things might be this way? Has the spontaneity and fun gone for some reason. How can you both get this back. Also, why are things/life waiting for this proposal? A ring is not a sign of relationship security, no more than being married is. You still need the commitment and trust, these are not mutually exclusive to marriage etc.

I really feel for you regarding your own esteem around your body, and what i would say is you do seem insecure and unsure about what his attentions are. You deserve to know, he only has the power if you let him. Confrontation is a normal and healthy part of any relationship, and as someone who is married, i can tell you that you cant or should not avoid it, how can you ever feel truly heard and held if you keep your feelings to yourself. I feel you have answered your own comment about not wanting to cause an issue by speaking your mind, this is an issue already for you, talking or not talking isnt going to make things any better for you. Again you deserve to be heard.

Hope this helps,

Greg
Reply 2
Five years together, wanting to get married and not feeling able to discuss issues with your boyfriend is a massive red flag. Communication is key and you need to sit him down, without distractions, and ask him about the tik tok videos and where the relationship is going.If you can't do that, how do you manage to discuss everyday issues that arise from living together, and how are you going to plan a wedding?

However, there was nothing to stop you proposing to him over the years...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending