The Student Room Group

I hate a-level history

I hate history and I cannot get my head around all the dates and the topics such a Tudors and Cold War. I thought I'd like the coursework but I hate the American Civil War too... I just want to quit but I only took 3 a-levels and I've nearly done an entire year of history. I know it's too late to quit but I'm too scared to ask for help. At this point, I'm just am ready to fail History... What should I do??
You can quit but you will be left for 2 a levels. Do you not find the topics interesting?
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
You can quit but you will be left for 2 a levels. Do you not find the topics interesting?

The topics themselves are okay but the learning side of it is what is letting me down. I don't really care about Krushchev or Stalin or how Henry VII had a weird childhood. I can't remember dates or facts or even events for the life of me. I guess I'm gonna have to push through because I need 3 A-levels, not 2.
Original post by hennak990
The topics themselves are okay but the learning side of it is what is letting me down. I don't really care about Krushchev or Stalin or how Henry VII had a weird childhood. I can't remember dates or facts or even events for the life of me. I guess I'm gonna have to push through because I need 3 A-levels, not 2.

If you dont feel motivated to learn it, would you consider resitting yr 12???
I felt a bit like that at the end of year 1. To combat the dates thing, I made timelines with all the important dates in, and ended up just writing my notes underneath the event on the timeline. I found that this gave me a good, understandable overview of each topic as well as enough details to help me remember stuff! Reading articles and watching documentaries about your topics should also help give you some perspective.

In terms of asking for help, there's no shame in it. I ended up asking my teacher to help me write an example essay paragraph in the first term of Y2 of A levels, and that completely chnged my perspective on history essays as a whole, and took me up by 2 grades. It can be scarey, but your teachers are paid to help you to learn, so as long as you ask nicely I can't see any reason why they'd refuse.

You can do it. I know it feels bad now, but I found Y13 so much better than Y12 in terms of history. Soon you'll have the whole summer to help yourself to understand the topics a bit more, and to have some rest in order to return in September with a fresh mindset.
I hate history and I cannot get my head around all the dates and the topics such a Tudors and Cold War. I thought I'd like the coursework but I hate the American Civil War too... I just want to quit but I only took 3 a-levels and I've nearly done an entire year of history. I know it's too late to quit but I'm too scared to ask for help. At this point, I'm just am ready to fail History... What should I do??

Omgggg I`m in the exact same situation as you like I even take the same topics!!! I don`t mind Cold War because I think its kinda interesting and modern/relevant - Coursework is fine but I`m going to have to try and get top marks in it to drag up my grade as I am awful at Tudors. I sit in my lessons and don`t get anything, I think its the MOST boring topic ever and I do **** in it as well :frown: My predicted is a B and I`m getting like Bs/Cs at the moment but its a bit dodge xxx
Reply 6
Original post by Raspberry2003
Omgggg I`m in the exact same situation as you like I even take the same topics!!! I don`t mind Cold War because I think its kinda interesting and modern/relevant - Coursework is fine but I`m going to have to try and get top marks in it to drag up my grade as I am awful at Tudors. I sit in my lessons and don`t get anything, I think its the MOST boring topic ever and I do **** in it as well :frown: My predicted is a B and I`m getting like Bs/Cs at the moment but its a bit dodge xxx

haha only saw this now! crazy how we we're both in the same situation. how's history for you now??
My coursework was lowkey bad, but I'm just pushing through atm, trying to get a C or a B.
ive picked a level history- modern im going college in september

is it different to gcse history? im currently getting grade 9's but idk if im making a mistake
Original post by year11studentx
ive picked a level history- modern im going college in september

is it different to gcse history? im currently getting grade 9's but idk if im making a mistake

It is different, but there's no reason why you shouldn't like it! Personally, i really struggled with A level history in Y12, but changing how I studied in Y13 meant that I loved it. When you feel like you don't know what's going on it can feel quite overwhelming, but I found that, if I read the relevant chapter in the textbook before the lesson (and sometimes made textbook notes before the lesson) then I could contextualise the content of the lesson and use the time to ask my teacher about things that I didn't understand rather than trying to understand the sub topic vaguely for the first time. All A levels are hard, but I was so glad that I took history in the end :smile:
haha only saw this now! crazy how we we're both in the same situation. how's history for you now??
My coursework was lowkey bad, but I'm just pushing through atm, trying to get a C or a B.

Its okayish, you? We have to do 4 exams so 2 for cold war and 2 for Tudors... I think I`ll get a B hopefully, as we got our coursework grades back and I was a high B so fingers crossed for the exams. Its genuinely hell on earth though, the only thing motivating me at the moment is the thought that in a months time I`ll never have to touch Tudors again :smile: I`m sure you'll get a B, i'm crossing my fingers for you!!!
Reply 10
Original post by Raspberry2003
Its okayish, you? We have to do 4 exams so 2 for cold war and 2 for Tudors... I think I`ll get a B hopefully, as we got our coursework grades back and I was a high B so fingers crossed for the exams. Its genuinely hell on earth though, the only thing motivating me at the moment is the thought that in a months time I`ll never have to touch Tudors again :smile: I`m sure you'll get a B, i'm crossing my fingers for you!!!

haha same :smile: hopefully we both end up getting Bs!! best of luck to you xx
Reply 11
I know this was Two years ago but I am in fact currently in a VERY similar position to you, what did you end up doing in the end?

I understand that you're struggling with history and feeling overwhelmed. It's important to remember that it's never too late to seek help or make changes. Consider talking to your teacher or a tutor for extra support and study strategies. Don't give up just yet; with the right assistance, you may find history more manageable and even discover ways to make it more interesting for yourself.
Original post by Glumdrops
I know this was Two years ago but I am in fact currently in a VERY similar position to you, what did you end up doing in the end?

same lol I want to know so badly, I'm failing history rn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending