The Student Room Group

PhD application problem?

I submitted a self funded PhD application and I know him as I have worked under him and gotten a job at the university based on his recommendation. I applied for my application and when he heard about my application, he asked me to send my research proposal. I sent it to him but he never replied.
Until 2 days ago, I emailed him about my account deactivation and he quickly replied asking for an alternate email. I sent him an email from my alternate email and then he informed me that he is willing to be the second supervisor and another lecturer has agreed to lead supervise. However, my proposal needs some work so it might get rejected initially and I can reapply again.
Apparently he's asked if I can revise the proposal without having to reapply but he is not certain about it. He does have this habit of excessively asking students to revise their proposals causing them to lose a year or so.
I'm dumbfounded. He didn't give me any feedback when I sent the proposal and only now he's telling me since there is a high chance that they will reject my application. I also don't understand why he has agreed to supervise and the lead supervisor is on board when my proposal needs work.
Reapplying next year is not an option for me due to funding constraints. The amount of money saved this year is all I can do to fund my studies and if I have to spend a year revising my proposal then I will need to get a job and my savings will go down the drain.
What should I do? Should I just tell him that I wish to withdraw my application?
Reply 1
Did you speak to him before you officially hit send on your application? It's typically best approach supervisors before you submit an application, and to have these discussions prior to sending off your application, as it gives you the time to edit your research proposal. I'm not 100% on whether you would be able to submit a new research proposal now that you've submitted an application, but would get in touch with the admissions team to enquire about this. Depending on what stage your application is at, they may be able to accept a new research proposal. Alternatively, they might be able to withdraw your current application and let you apply again this year.

I would advise you to think carefully about whether you want to be supervised by this person. If they're not clear when giving you feedback, delay processes and communication isn't great, this may cause issues during your PhD.
Original post by oswalds
Did you speak to him before you officially hit send on your application? It's typically best approach supervisors before you submit an application, and to have these discussions prior to sending off your application, as it gives you the time to edit your research proposal. I'm not 100% on whether you would be able to submit a new research proposal now that you've submitted an application, but would get in touch with the admissions team to enquire about this. Depending on what stage your application is at, they may be able to accept a new research proposal. Alternatively, they might be able to withdraw your current application and let you apply again this year.
I would advise you to think carefully about whether you want to be supervised by this person. If they're not clear when giving you feedback, delay processes and communication isn't great, this may cause issues during your PhD.
Thanks.

I'm also quite concerned with the lack of feedback. There was no feedback when I sent it originally and even now there has been no email from him. I starting to rethink of I should continue with my application here
@The_Lonely_Goatherd

Friend, I need your input on this
oswalds has raised some good points about how it's better to seek feedback on the research proposal before submitting the application. oswalds also raises a good point in asking whether a lecturer with this type of communication style is really someone you would feel confident and comfortable studying a PhD under...
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
oswalds has raised some good points about how it's better to seek feedback on the research proposal before submitting the application. oswalds also raises a good point in asking whether a lecturer with this type of communication style is really someone you would feel confident and comfortable studying a PhD under...

am beginning to think this person is treating me unfairly because he has seen my degree classification and is thinking I'm a low candidate hence this sort of behaviour.

He isn't providing any news and updates on if I need to revise without reapplication and doctoral school confirmed that they are waiting for the academic team to confirm their decision.

So clearly my application is being delayed 🙃
So I have not heard from him at all for the last 4 days @oswalds
@The_Lonely_Goatherd
(edited 1 month ago)
4 days isn't a long time in academia, though he doesn't seem to be a reliable communicator in general
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
4 days isn't a long time in academia, though he doesn't seem to be a reliable communicator in general

He's saying he has asked if I can revise without reapplication but hasn't provided any update
Bumped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending