The Student Room Group

Switching MSc

I have an offer to study MSc statistics at Imperial. My BSc was in mathematics and statistics elsewhere. However, we don’t properly find out the exact MSc course content in the listed modules until the course properly starts, and having spoken to some of the current students on the course, the first term sounds like it covers a lot of content I have already studied in the BSc.

I have been looking at the applied mathematics MSc at Imperial, wondering about switching and doing that instead (if even possible, I know there’s the chance I would have to reapply). My reasoning being that it is cheaper (also, I wouldn’t want to pay more to be doing modules I have already covered). I would have more choice in modules, could build off some of the maths physics modules I took in BSc. However I’m wondering that my doing this I would be affecting my employability, since I’ve heard statistics is more employable in general. For example, would both be seen as good for say becoming a quant, or would one take an edge?

Tldr: Considering switching from stats to applied maths MSc, wondering how it would affect employability.
Original post by johnthebaptist27
I have an offer to study MSc statistics at Imperial. My BSc was in mathematics and statistics elsewhere. However, we don’t properly find out the exact MSc course content in the listed modules until the course properly starts, and having spoken to some of the current students on the course, the first term sounds like it covers a lot of content I have already studied in the BSc.

I have been looking at the applied mathematics MSc at Imperial, wondering about switching and doing that instead (if even possible, I know there’s the chance I would have to reapply). My reasoning being that it is cheaper (also, I wouldn’t want to pay more to be doing modules I have already covered). I would have more choice in modules, could build off some of the maths physics modules I took in BSc. However I’m wondering that my doing this I would be affecting my employability, since I’ve heard statistics is more employable in general. For example, would both be seen as good for say becoming a quant, or would one take an edge?

Tldr: Considering switching from stats to applied maths MSc, wondering how it would affect employability.

Hey! Just a quick one around the first term being similar to your BSc, this is not an uncommon thing. Not everyone will always come directly from a BSc relating exactly to MSc subject so the first term is to help these people get started in the MSc. It's similar to how the first year of a BSc replicates and builds on some of the modules for the related A-Level.

If anything, studying similar topics will allow you a better chance of getting higher grades and potentially graduation with a distinction in your MSc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending