The Student Room Group

Yr10 summer

I'm going into year 11 next year and I would like to get mostly over 8's in my subjects (bar maths ill be pleased w anything in that subject). I got mostly 7's in my mocks excluding chem w 8, bio w 9, and maths with a 5/6.

I'm definitely making revision material over the summer as that's something I didn't really do in year 10. But should I actually revise or just make the content I'll need, as I'm worried if I revise now, it will be a waste of my time as I might forget the info.
Original post by direcherub
I'm going into year 11 next year and I would like to get mostly over 8's in my subjects (bar maths ill be pleased w anything in that subject). I got mostly 7's in my mocks excluding chem w 8, bio w 9, and maths with a 5/6.

I'm definitely making revision material over the summer as that's something I didn't really do in year 10. But should I actually revise or just make the content I'll need, as I'm worried if I revise now, it will be a waste of my time as I might forget the info.

If you'd be revising simply to help you remember things you already understand, then you're right - you may end up forgetting again (although do have a read about the forgetting curve and how repeated attempts to remember information can be very effective).

However, if there are concepts you haven't understood, or can quite wrap your head around, then taking some time over the summer to focus on these could be useful.

BTW, that's a nice set of grades. :smile:

The grades you've gotten so far are great to start off with!

First focus on your weak subjects and go through all the topics you covered that year and just tick off the ones you aren't confident in or don't understand. Then go through each of the topics you ticked off and watch a youtube explanation or read through a textbook to first understand and if you want to make notes on the topic, use your specification from your exam board to help you.

Here are some resources for maths:

https://mmerevise.co.uk/

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/

GCSE maths tutor is a youtube channel that's super helpful and they have a website that gives free practice papers too.

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
If you'd be revising simply to help you remember things you already understand, then you're right - you may end up forgetting again (although do have a read about the forgetting curve and how repeated attempts to remember information can be very effective).

However, if there are concepts you haven't understood, or can quite wrap your head around, then taking some time over the summer to focus on these could be useful.

BTW, that's a nice set of grades. :smile:

Okay, thank you very much. I think your right i think i’ll go over things i didn’t understand as well as making the rev material because my physics 7 was very cut close and i was like only one mark over the boundary.
Also another q is there enough time or should i start learning yr11 content when I’m done w the two plans i have because i’m worried we won’t finish on time and the time i’ll have for revision next year won’t be enough.
Reply 4
(Original post by *LifeHappens*)The grades you've gotten so far are great to start off with!

First focus on your weak subjects and go through all the topics you covered that year and just tick off the ones you aren't confident in or don't understand. Then go through each of the topics you ticked off and watch a youtube explanation or read through a textbook to first understand and if you want to make notes on the topic, use your specification from your exam board to help you.

GCSE maths tutor is a youtube channel that's super helpful and they have a website that gives free practice papers too.

Thank you for the revision technique! I feel like i didn’t really know how to revise for maths so i often never did and that’s part of the issue 😅.
By making notes w the spec, could you elaborate more on what you mean.
Also when you got to yr11, when did you start revising?
Also another q is there enough time or should i start learning yr11 content when I’m done w the two plans i have because i’m worried we won’t finish on time and the time i’ll have for revision next year won’t be enough.

I would advise that you don't try to cover any year 11 content before year 11 has even begin. Instead, trying to ensure that you fully understand what's been taught so far. There will be enough time to cover year 11 content during year 11.

In all likelihood you'll have covered the content for most subjects by Easter, and it will be full-on revision from them on. (Although some subjects might have the odd topic which is taught after Easter.)
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
I would advise that you don't try to cover any year 11 content before year 11 has even begin. Instead, trying to ensure that you fully understand what's been taught so far. There will be enough time to cover year 11 content during year 11.

In all likelihood you'll have covered the content for most subjects by Easter, and it will be full-on revision from them on. (Although some subjects might have the odd topic which is taught after Easter.)

Okay, cool, thank you so much! When you got to yr11 when did you start revision? My school is a bit funny so we have our mocks in January
(Original post by *LifeHappens*)The grades you've gotten so far are great to start off with!

Thank you for the revision technique! I feel like i didn’t really know how to revise for maths so i often never did and that’s part of the issue 😅.
By making notes w the spec, could you elaborate more on what you mean.
Also when you got to yr11, when did you start revising?

No problem! For maths, find as many practice questions as you can and don't get discouraged if you get a question wrong in a topic you feel confident in, just copy down the steps in the mark scheme and remember for the future!

So for science and rs for example, these are subjects with a lot of content, so it helps me break down each topic when using the spec (as the spec gives every single point that we would need to know).

Here's an example:
The biology spec for aqa in the topic of infection and response says this:

"Students should be able to explain how vaccination will prevent illness in an individual, and how the spread of pathogens can be reduced by immunising a large proportion of the population."
"Students do not need to know details of vaccination schedules and side effects associated with specific vaccines."

In those few lines on the sub-topic of vaccination, it tells us what we need to know and what we won't be questioned on. I summarised that point and wrote this down as my notes for the sub-topic of vaccination:
- Vaccination - small quantities of dead or inactive forms of the pathogen is injected into the body; this stimulates lymphocyte production and makes antibodies to destroy these pathogens; if the pathogen enters the body again, the memory cells would quickly make the correct antibodies to defend against the pathogens

So I only used the specification and freesciencelessons to make my notes.

I'm not in Y11 yet! But my main tip is to revise as you go along - I find that just relying on what the teachers teach at school isn't enough, so just take one or two hours a week to start off with to make your flashcards for subjects that have a lot of content.
Reply 8
Original post by *LifeHappens*
No problem! For maths, find as many practice questions as you can and don't get discouraged if you get a question wrong in a topic you feel confident in, just copy down the steps in the mark scheme and remember for the future!

So for science and rs for example, these are subjects with a lot of content, so it helps me break down each topic when using the spec (as the spec gives every single point that we would need to know).

Here's an example:
The biology spec for aqa in the topic of infection and response says this:

"Students should be able to explain how vaccination will prevent illness in an individual, and how the spread of pathogens can be reduced by immunising a large proportion of the population."
"Students do not need to know details of vaccination schedules and side effects associated with specific vaccines."

In those few lines on the sub-topic of vaccination, it tells us what we need to know and what we won't be questioned on. I summarised that point and wrote this down as my notes for the sub-topic of vaccination:
- Vaccination - small quantities of dead or inactive forms of the pathogen is injected into the body; this stimulates lymphocyte production and makes antibodies to destroy these pathogens; if the pathogen enters the body again, the memory cells would quickly make the correct antibodies to defend against the pathogens

So I only used the specification and freesciencelessons to make my notes.

I'm not in Y11 yet! But my main tip is to revise as you go along - I find that just relying on what the teachers teach at school isn't enough, so just take one or two hours a week to start off with to make your flashcards for subjects that have a lot of content.

Okay, thank you so much, I struggle w making revision as I go along so I'll try to improve on that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest