The Student Room Group

Oxford college choice help

So I am going to apply for Oxford in October and I wondered if anyone could recommend a college based on the following:
- En-suite that I could ask for/is guaranteed
- decent kitchen facilities don’t have to be amazing
- Central location
- Accomodation that is central for all three years
- Not posh.
Original post by Anonymous
So I am going to apply for Oxford in October and I wondered if anyone could recommend a college based on the following:
- Central location
- Not posh.

First stop, check which colleges offer the course you are applying for. Then take a look at a map to check which of those colleges are in the centre of Oxford. You may also want to look where the subject department is as well. Most colleges have a ballot system for accommodation for the second and third years and therefore cannot guarantee en-suite. If you can, try to get along to the Oxf Uni open day on Friday 15th September, to ask lots of questions of the student helpers and get a tour of the colleges.
Most important of all is that the college you put down on the UCAS form is only a preference. If you get offered a place there is no guarantee the offer will be from your first choice College. The admissions process may shuffle you around between colleges.
- Central location
- Not posh.

Try having a look for yourself here: https://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/suggester/

As I don't know which course you are planning on studying and there may be other things you haven't considered in that list, it's best I leave it to you to fill out all the things you are looking for.
Reply 3
- Central location
- Not posh.

I’m a current student at St Catz which could (subjectively) offer you all of your requirements.

Catz has a large amount of ensuites where everyone gets one in 2nd year and some get them in 1/3rd year too upon request.

One thing you will find in Oxford is that most colleges do not offer kitchens and if they do there will be on kitchen for the whole college or one between many people. At Catz for all three years kitchens are shared between a max of 8 people and whilst small have everything that is needed.

Catz offers accomodation for all 3 years too,

As the youngest undergraduate college, Catz is one of the least traditional colleges so definitely one of the least posh. We have formal dinners every night if you want to go to them, but none of them require a gown and I’ve gone to them in joggers and there’s no issue at all.

The last thing is its location. Whilst it is not ‘central’ as in it is not on the main high street, it is only a 10 minute walk from everything you need in Oxford and close to all science and many humanity departments, and is on the same road as Law & English and Social Science libraries and departments.

Therefore whilst it is not ‘central’, it is not far from the centre and will tick all of your other boxes which most colleges cannot do.

As a younger college Catz was built to be more practical, with ensuites and kitchens therefore being more widely available. As such, with most Oxford colleges built hundreds of years ago, facilities are, often, much more limited and they often retreat to traditional and the old Oxford aesthetic so can appear more posh.

Other than Catz, have a look at St Anne’s, but that is by no means Central.

Most central colleges also do not offer onsite accomodation for all 3 years, so Jesus college’s accomodation for 2nd year is the other side of the city so that might be a factor worth considering

Any questions feel free to let me know or PM me!
Original post by azby1098
I’m a current student at St Catz which could (subjectively) offer you all of your requirements.

Catz has a large amount of ensuites where everyone gets one in 2nd year and some get them in 1/3rd year too upon request.

One thing you will find in Oxford is that most colleges do not offer kitchens and if they do there will be on kitchen for the whole college or one between many people. At Catz for all three years kitchens are shared between a max of 8 people and whilst small have everything that is needed.

Catz offers accomodation for all 3 years too,

As the youngest undergraduate college, Catz is one of the least traditional colleges so definitely one of the least posh. We have formal dinners every night if you want to go to them, but none of them require a gown and I’ve gone to them in joggers and there’s no issue at all.

The last thing is its location. Whilst it is not ‘central’ as in it is not on the main high street, it is only a 10 minute walk from everything you need in Oxford and close to all science and many humanity departments, and is on the same road as Law & English and Social Science libraries and departments.

Therefore whilst it is not ‘central’, it is not far from the centre and will tick all of your other boxes which most colleges cannot do.

As a younger college Catz was built to be more practical, with ensuites and kitchens therefore being more widely available. As such, with most Oxford colleges built hundreds of years ago, facilities are, often, much more limited and they often retreat to traditional and the old Oxford aesthetic so can appear more posh.

Other than Catz, have a look at St Anne’s, but that is by no means Central.

Most central colleges also do not offer onsite accomodation for all 3 years, so Jesus college’s accomodation for 2nd year is the other side of the city so that might be a factor worth considering

Any questions feel free to let me know or PM me!

Great informative reply @azby1098, PRSOM, also great replies from the other responders too.

It’s easy to get to everywhere from St Catz and, unlike the centrally located colleges, it’s pretty much free from lots of tourists. When we go to visit our daughter there (she originally applied to Hertford but got reallocated to St Catz), it’s nice to be able to walk straight out of college into Music Meadow, and walk alongside the river through into University Park (close to science area).

As others have advised, do try and go to the open day in September to have a good look around, and ask questions.

You might like to join other applicants on the Oxford 2024 applicants thread, to gain further information or ideas from other applicants, current Oxford students like Azby, and parents of current students (such as me), as well as from some Oxford graduates and their parents. We discovered the respective year’s applicants thread after my daughter applied, and it was very helpful in answering all sorts of questions, and understanding the whole application process. There’s lots of support to guide you throughout.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7369093&page=5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending